Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 3:57 pm

Is the adversity us aspergers people suffer at the hands of society correlate to that of the slave trade or how African people were treated in the 17th century?

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 4:16 pm

Well, many people often see people who are unlike themselves to be "sub-human"; just as there was a sizable demographic of people in the past who did not believe that people of African decent or dark skin were "real people," many people today do not see those with mental, physical, or developmental abnormalities as "real people."

That being said, neither I nor anyone else I know with Asperger's have been oppressed to the severity that slaves once were (and still are in some dark allies and basements). There are the horror stories, of course, of people on the autistic spectrum being beat, whipped, confined, and deprived of their basic freedoms, just as slaves once were. If this is your experience, then I express my sympathy and hope that the wounds inflicted upon you, physical, emotional, and spiritual, may soon heal. I am inclined to believe that most aspies are given more respect, more liberty, and more opportunity than slaves.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 4:23 pm

So people may think cause were sub human that we don't feel any emotion hence why we can get treated so bad?

People are sick :evil:

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 4:33 pm

Jamesy wrote:
So people may think cause were sub human that we don't feel any emotion hence why we can get treated so bad?

Sadly, this is a common misconception that many people have. This is slowly starting to change, however, thanks to an increase in awareness through media and entertainment.

Jamesy wrote:
People are sick :evil:

Some people are; there are many people, however, both "NT" and autistic, who are good-hearted and kind-spirited. These people may seem few at times, but they are there, and I hope that you have the pleasure of meeting some.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 4:41 pm

Sadly my own parents ate narrow minded

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 4:41 pm

It took people some time to come up with the concept of racism and to realize that it's morally wrong. Probably the same can be said about AS, too, except that many people haven't yet realized or accepted that we think/behave differently and hence are struggling because of neurological differences.

I don't know the severity of the suffering of the victims of racism in the past. So I can't really compare the two in that regard.

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

24 May 2013, 4:47 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Is the adversity us aspergers people suffer at the hands of society correlate to that of the slave trade or how African people were treated in the 17th century?

I think so, not much has changed since then. Slave Owners have become Corporations and Slaves are now called Employees.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 6:14 pm

An important difference is that was a conscious and explicit discrimination against slaves, Africans, etc. In contrast, I doubt that is much conscious discrimination against people with AS, because:

- many (most) people with AS are undiagnosed
- the great majority of the population never heard about asperger's

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 6:29 pm

I don't seem to be discriminated against. Sure, people often bully me when I'm in a group, but that's something any "different" person can experience.

I'm barred from doing some things (I wanted to be a police officer and AS precludes that here), but I can see their reasoning for that. This is generally based on my real deficits, not aesthetic reasons such as skin color.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 6:31 pm

Jamesy wrote:

     OMG NO! All animals loath the dissimilar ones.
     The slavers were mostly just trying to resolve their own cognitive-dissonance and rationalize/justify their awfulness because slaves were valuable.
     What happens to us is instinctive -most can't help it- what happened to them was a willful choice to be vile.
--------------
TPE2 wrote:
An important difference is that was a conscious and explicit discrimination against slaves, Africans, etc. In contrast, I doubt that is much conscious discrimination against people with AS, because:

- many (most) people with AS are undiagnosed
- the great majority of the population never heard about asperger's

     Agree.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 9:34 pm

Jamesy wrote:

The trouble is this: there were aspies back then as well. They suffered at the hands of society back then as much as now. And aspie slaves suffered at the hands of nt slaves as well.

So it peaches and pears to even compare aspies today with african slaves back then.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 7:06 am

Actually, I've never really suffered because of other people.
People have teased me in school but I didn't care therefore it wasn't bullying.
I just can't care enough about what people think of me or about people in general to be hurt by their actions.