Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Arch101
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2007, 2:52 pm

Does anyone have difficulty comprehending any math higher than basic multiplication and division? I'm in my 5th try at basic college algebra and am still finding it completely impossible to understand it, despite some VERY juvenile explanation attempts by tutors. I think my brain may be simply missing the wiring to understand this stuff. It's like trying to learn Mandarin.

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2007, 2:56 pm

I had the opposite problem. I had difficulty understand basic math (muliplication, additon, subtraction, division) but algebra and higher math made perfect sense. Though I still have problems with comprehending word problems, possible due to CAPD.

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 3:03 pm

I had that problem, i excelled at the simple stuff but as soon i started standard grade math i was completely lost, it just didn't make any sense, luckily i remebered it, even if i didn't know what i was doing, so i didn't fail.

I found it easier to comprehend when my teacher used a "real world" example, or an example where they showed you when or how you would use a particular equation etc.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

28 Jan 2007, 3:27 pm

Yes people can have abstract reasoning problems. I certainly
do realtive to my over all intelligence. I got to Calculus III
but it was a struggle.

I'm more a visual learner and that does not work well with the way abstract math is typically tought.

willow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 3:38 pm

I am a total math idiot.

I was fine until algebra....then....F!! !!

I was always in advanced english and gifted and such..but remedial math. it was hell to be teased by both the "nerds" and the "greasers". there was nowhere I fit in.

I am still a math idiot...but it doesn't bother me anymore. no one can be everything, you know?

willow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 3:39 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Yes people can have abstract reasoning problems. I certainly
do realtive to my over all intelligence. I got to Calculus III
but it was a struggle.

I'm more a visual learner and that does not work well with the way abstract math is typically tought.

I am a visual learner, as well. :) the difference is night and day.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 3:56 pm

I'm in college algebra right now and I'm considering dropping it. For me learning this crap is like being forced to make a gigantic house of out cards, and everytime the house falls down you have to drink another cup of coffee.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 4:07 pm

I have problems with number lines (guessing the correct number place) and I never learned long division but I can do a little bit of Algebra.

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2007, 4:13 pm

I've never had any real trouble with math in my entire life. I got a 5 (the highest score) on the AP Calculus Test last year. I've always found math easy - you just learn a formula and apply it, and there's only one possible solution to everything. However, I'm likely very weak in areas where some of you are very strong, so it most likely all evens out.

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2007, 4:41 pm

It has depended on the type of math and the teacher for me. I did ok in basic math like adding and multiplying (though I am pretty much permanently attached to my calculator now). I did pretty well in pre calc and single variable calculus. When we got to multi-variable calculus and group theory (both required for graduation at my high school), I hit a wall. My family and I were finally able to get the administration to let me survey the course otherwise I would not have been able to graduate.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 4:53 pm

Don't you guys just LOVE people like dart?(sarc)

For me, I ALWAYS thought it was funny. It should be SO much easier. Math is the solidest, most real, and most standard thing I EVER had to learn/work with, and it seems to be one of the hardest. I mean THINK about it.... Language, computers, history, science, etc.... Is there ANYTHING else that is the same everywhere, easily tested, and not open to debate?

Ironically, algebra isn't that hard to me, but I never did well in classes. 8-( I don't think I EVER had a good algebra teacher. My mother even told me that my 3rd grade teacher apologized for being such a bad teacher, and said she was new to teaching! Anyway, I am a lot better with it now, and plan to try to get back to direct conversions by habit. I didn't even go into approximations until I was over 6yo. And I am talking about doing everything mentally.

My saving grace is that, at 40+yo, I am, ironically, probably better than most people my age. I have met a lot of people just out of college, that majored in math based areas, that didn't do well.

Steve

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2007, 5:10 pm

Quote:
Don't you guys just LOVE people like dart?(sarc)

I know. I love people like me too.

Just joking. In all seriousness, though, I didn't mean any offense. I was trying to illustrate that we all have our strengths and weaknesses, and different ones at that. I'm absolutely horrible at science, which I bet many of you in this topic are good at.

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2007, 5:24 pm

I haven't had a problem with math before. In fact, I'd say it's my best subject. But history, on the other hand... that kills me. I'm not sure what to make of your situation--I suppose it could just be the brain wiring you spoke about. I'm sorry I can't supply a more scientific explanation. ;)

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 5:30 pm

I love math, it's probably my best block subject. My worst is English. I'm great at spelling and grammar, but I suck at the imagination part of the class.

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2007, 5:50 pm

Starbuline wrote:
I love math, it's probably my best block subject. My worst is English. I'm great at spelling and grammar, but I suck at the imagination part of the class.

That post is 100% true for me too.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 6:29 pm

My 10 year old was having a rough time with math, which I had earlier thought was an Aspie's easy subject, but since being on this forum I can see that it's like anything -- some aspies are great at it, some are not.

We've been very frustrated with the math teachers of the past two years, but now we've realized that they are not unlike all the teachers in the district, i.e. they do a lot of class work (and neither teacher seems to be gifted in teaching math) and they don't give enough homework to provide adequate practice. It's like one bit of homework before the test, and then BOOM, the TEST! We've been so concerned about his lack of math teaching that we've been considering homeschooling purely because of the lack in that one area -- we are afraid that it may hold him back when he goes to take the SAT.

I'm also frustrated because, like DART, my husband is the math whiz in the family, and yet I'm the one relegated to being the math tutor, and I'm really NOT gifted in the math area. My husband just "gets it" when it comes to math, but he can't "teach it." So maybe it's a good thing I'm teaching it, no matter how bad I am, because I can sort of break it down to it's most basic level, and I try really hard to make it as visual as possible.

I'm praying that, like some of you have said, that basic math is the hard part for my son, and then the algebraic math and so on will be easier. That would be so great!