The increasing use of 'Autistic' as an insult

Page 4 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 11:58 pm

If someone was to call me autistic as an insult, I'd tell them that I am on the spectrum and thank you for the compliment. :)

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 12:55 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
If someone was to call me autistic as an insult, I'd tell them that I am on the spectrum and thank you for the compliment. :)

+1

It's unfortunate that they're doing this more and more now...

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 10:06 am

MONKEY wrote:
If I'm brutally honest we kind of ask for it. (High functioning) autistics can be some of the most awkward, insufferable people I know, myself included. Too mild to get the sympathy severe autistics get but just enough autistic to be annoying.
So next time someone uses autistic as an insult, just think back to your last social faux pas... :lol:

I honestly think you don't give yourself enough credit! I really don't think you're insufferable and obviously, my opinion is the be all and end all of all opinions, ever! :P Nah, seriously though, I'm sure you're not as bad as you think. :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 11:34 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
If I'm brutally honest we kind of ask for it. (High functioning) autistics can be some of the most awkward, insufferable people I know, myself included. Too mild to get the sympathy severe autistics get but just enough autistic to be annoying.
So next time someone uses autistic as an insult, just think back to your last social faux pas... :lol:

I honestly think you don't give yourself enough credit! I really don't think you're insufferable and obviously, my opinion is the be all and end all of all opinions, ever! :P Nah, seriously though, I'm sure you're not as bad as you think. :)

+1

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 12:33 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

Thanks, you're probably right. I often feel a bit of a con artist when people like my character, I seem to think they have yet to know the truth. :roll: :lol:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 1:16 pm

MONKEY wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

Thanks, you're probably right. I often feel a bit of a con artist when people like my character, I seem to think they have yet to know the truth. :roll: :lol:

Naww, the only thing that could change my mind about you know would be if you were to reveal your stash of dead bodies under the floorboards in your residence. Or something equally epic.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 3:11 pm

Wanna see them? My collection is growing and is quite impressive so far.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 4:35 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Wanna see them? My collection is growing and is quite impressive so far.

That would be.. most disturbing! :P

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 8:20 am

Either I've happened on the initiator for this trend, or it is more pervasive than thought...

There's a show called "Betas" produced by Amazon.
It seems to revolve around a bunch of computer geeks.
The first few episodes are suppossedly free to all.
In the pilot episode, a girl at a bar uses the term in an insulting tone, in an effort to insult one of said geeks.

The set up of the show is (to me) obviously intended to garner amusement from the audience at the misfortunes (social and otherwise) of the four main characters, rather than set them up as people who deserve the audience's respect in any way.

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2013, 10:49 pm

I don't really give that much of a s**t. If you're going to use what's considered to be a psychiatric disorder or disability as a means of attacking someone, it's clear you're an incredibly juvenile and pathetic individual. Expressing visible outrage to them only gives them a sense of sanctification considering a majority of the people that use it are internet trolls. You can often accomplish more by reporting it or even just ignoring and rightfully dismissing as pathetic.

Last edited by Norepinephrine on 16 Dec 2013, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 12:23 am

The meme originates from the /jp/ board of 4chan, and/or 99chan in totality. Those are the two places where I saw it as a major part of 'board culture'

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 2:57 am

havent noticed it any more recently than before. but a woman i know (nt) told me the people in her last workplace are "autistic". they dont talk to anyone, and all they care about is work.
although this isnt really using autistic as a bad word, the way people constantly call people they dont like "ret*d". i dont even know if they mean to insult people suffering from retardation when saying that. it's just something they say without thinking.

autisticyoungadult
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2013, 5:19 pm

It's becoming common for adolescents to use autistic in a derogatory/insulting way. Were talking about immature boys who occupied their minds with FPS video games or playing sports, usually using such terms in a joking matter despite the offensive of the word. A student in one of my electives would call his friends "ret*ds" or "autistic" while bounding with each other. This rxample of behavior is usually why I don't have many friends .

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2013, 5:44 pm

I've heard people use it as an insult in real life. It comes off as SO ignorant especially when they do it in front of me as I have the autism puzzle tattooed on my wrist. Then they say I'm an ass for getting offended but they aren't the ones who live with someone with autism and they will never understand how it is. But I'm the ass.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 8:58 pm

I hate it.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 10:48 pm

"You just insulted someone by calling them autistic? How psychotic/borderline personality disorder/passive aggressive/etc"

Why not downplay it that way?