Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Jul 2019, 3:29 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
babybird wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
babybird wrote:
When I was young we used to call each other "mong" or "joey".

Huh?

American grade school kids have been calling each other "spaz" since before my time in the early Sixties, and "ret*d" since at least my time. I have never heard "mong" or "joey". A 'joey' is a baby kangaroo AFAIK. What does "mong" mean?

Well I'm UK so its more than likely a cultural thing. Mong comes from Mongol which people used to call those with downs syndrome and joey comes from Joey Deacon who was a guest on a children's show in the 80's. He had some kind of condition. The very next day across the UK all the kids were calling each other "joey". It is the same as "spaz". This is a term we also like to use as well.

Mongoloid was indeed the old term for Down's syndrome.
I thought Mongoloid was a term for people from Mongolia. I just looked up both those words on google & I'm rite. I wonder why/how Mongoloid became a term for Down's Syndrome

TheOther wrote:
I know I am in the minority on this, but things like this don't bother me.

I think it is possible to use words which are offensive without necessarily being a bigoted person.

Autistic people have certain characteristics which stick out, and people are going to notice this and reference it. It is just human nature to see and work in patterns (which is why we see 'faces' in certain fronts of cars, and see how clouds look like different objects).

Speaking of the word ret*d, it strikes me as really interesting how many words used to describe mentally impaired people have been invented over the years.

Words like idiot, stupid, ret*d, imbecile, etc have all at one time been objective medical term used to describe a certain set of symptoms.

People invariably then adopt the word as an insult, and then the word changes to reduce stigma. People then adopt the new word as an insult, and the cycle continues.

I think it is far healthier to laugh it off. Everyone has some problem that someone else is insensitive to. I choose to not take myself so seriously such that maybe I can enjoy the humor in it a little. It beats the hell out of feeling sad all of the time.
I like how you think. I think words like ret*d have become slang words & do not have people with diagnosed things like Down Syndrome in mind. The meaning of ret*d has changed & some could apply it to Down Syndrome but it no longer means a person with Down Syndrome. In fact I also think a lot of the people who use the word ret*d would not apply it to someone who they knew had Down Syndrome. I call myself ret*d sometimes but I am NOT thinking or comparing myself to someone with Down Syndrome when I do it. I just looked the word up on google & it says :arrow:
adjective: ret*d

dated•offensive
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.
"the child is badly ret*d"
informal•offensive
very foolish or stupid.
"in retrospect, it was a totally ret*d idea"

& I am using it to mean I'm not grasping things my peers are. I'm NOT saying people with Down Syndrome don't grasp things & I'm being like them, I just mean I personally do not grasp things & I do NOT have Down Syndrome in mind or am comparing myself to people who do in any way. I actually did not know till recently that the word ret*d used to be a diagnostic label for people with Down Syndrome. How could I know that I'm being offensive to people with Down Syndrome when I had no clue that the disorder had anything to do with them other than that they may both have problems grasping things but I was NOT thinking about them when I used it.

I do not have a clue why the word Autistic means Troll now & think the only thing we can really do as a community about this is to push to change the word Autistic to a different word. Everyone will get a new diagnostic term to use & the word Autistic will be used only as a slang term.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 4:59 am

Kayla Harper is the wife of star baseball player Bryce Harper. Bryce Harper played a number of years for the Washington D.C. team The Nationals or "Nats". He left Washington and signed with the Philadelphia team that is why Washington fans are mad at him.
Kayla Harper, Bryce’s Wife, Reveals Some Nationals Fans Wished Their Son Was Born With Autism

Quote:
A day after Philadelphia Phillies outfielder Bryce Harper called out Washington Nationals fans for crossing the line with their heckling, his wife, Kayla Harper, revealed that those fans were targeting their newborn son Krew. She even said that some Nationals fans told her they wished her son was born with autism.

“I truly doubt you are aware of the [direct messages] I have gotten from Nats fans all season. Wishing my son has autism when he’s born for example. So yes all season,” she tweeted on Thursday.

Bryce Harper said fans were crossing the line in the eighth inning of the Phillies’ 5-2 loss on Thursday night.

“They were fine all game, talking about myself and things like that,” Harper said. “I get it everywhere I go. That’s nothing new. But the last two innings, it’s just not right. It’s not right.”

Kayla Harper said on Twitter that those fans were going after their family, specifically their newborn son.

“When you bring his son or family into it, yes you’re crossing a line. Stick to your overused overrated and Harper sucks chants if you’re really that loser that goes to a game to heckle someone. Phillies fans might boo him but they don’t bring his 4 week old son into it. Classless,” she tweeted.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

WalkerTR
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2019, 6:57 am

I can see the absurdity of some of my own behaviors, I don't mind autistic being used as an insult. It can be funny sometimes.
If someone else takes offense I wouldn't use it but I would probably say to an aspie 'what you did was really autistic' as a friendly joke

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 8:29 am

TheOther wrote:
Words like idiot, stupid, ret*d, imbecile, etc have all at one time been objective medical term used to describe a certain set of symptoms.

People invariably then adopt the word as an insult, and then the word changes to reduce stigma. People then adopt the new word as an insult, and the cycle continues.

This seems to be the trend. And yes my first instinct was to feel hurt by it, but I find it helps to 'own' one's shortcomings. By 'autistic', are they implying I have social difficulties, odd behavioral patterns, and general clumsiness? Guilty as charged.

lucgn01
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2019, 2:43 pm

TheOther wrote:

Arguments like this leave me confused. It makes sense, don't get me wrong. But, when one person says that slurs and discriminatory language shouldn't be used, and another says that we should just ignore it and move on, it leaves me struggling to understand which is the "better" or "right" answer.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 3:03 pm

^ I hear you, and it's a matter of opinion, something you have to decide for yourself. I've been on gaming forums where the overwhelming majority think it's an okay insult to throw at people. And when you're grossly outnumbered, sometimes the choice comes down to martyring yourself as the unpopular 'keyboard warrior', or just keeping quiet.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2019, 5:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:
mongrel = street dog

Not exactly.

A "mongrel" is the opposite of "purebred". A mixed breed.

A street would tend to also be a mongrel though.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 5:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
mongrel = street dog

Not exactly.

A "mongrel" is the opposite of "purebred". A mixed breed.

A street would tend to also be a mongrel though.

Alf Stewart in home and away is referring to a no-good person so like a street mongrel (as opposed to a dog breed)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 4:50 pm

In an article for the conservative publication National Review Kevin Williamson said of Senator Rick Scott he is "the demon lovechild of Senator Ted Cruz and Dr. Sheldon Cooper — one part nasty and one part aspy."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 10:53 am

”This man gets a shocking and disgusting amount of hatred" - Fans express anger over French commentator calling Lance Stroll 'autistic' at 2022 F1 Austrian GP

Quote:
During the 2022 F1 Austrian Grand Prix, a French commentator reportedly called Aston Martin's Lance Stroll "autistic" as an insult, and the fans were not happy, to say the least. Some suggested that this was a comment made by a guest on the French-language Belgian broadcasting channel RTBF, and not Gaëtan Vigneron, who is usually the main commenter on the channel.

The Canadian driver is undeniably not the most fan-supported driver on the grid, but many have taken to social media to call out F1 for ignoring the abuse he faces, even from official broadcasters. Having had a pay-driver tag throughout his motorsport career, Stroll has faced an unbelievable amount of bullying and hate from fans, who refuse to believe he deserves a seat in F1.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 12:13 pm

The original post, 2013

It is now 2022

Plenty of precious lil "people" have had the nerve to insult me a wide variety of ways

Thus far zero times, someone called me "autistic"

Even when I told someone I was autistic, by far the most frequent answer:. "you are not autistic"

But maybe different countries, cities and states use different insults