The Project story about boy cured of Autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 5:02 pm

Autism is a pervasive developmental disorder.

It's for life. Just like homosexuality. Cannot be changed.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2013, 5:39 pm

Not watching cables out in my room, but I believe, based on the common misconception that Autism can be cured, that this boy is one of the highest functioning first diagnosed in childhood. This would mean that upon reaching later adolescence he would appear normal or at least tolerable in what society deems right,

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2013, 6:28 pm

Grimdalus wrote:
If there was a drug to change the structure of an aspergers brain to make it normal. I would take it no matter the consequences.

Even if you died and someone else gets your body?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 6:37 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Grimdalus wrote:
If there was a drug to change the structure of an aspergers brain to make it normal. I would take it no matter the consequences.

Even if you died and someone else gets your body?
Yeah... that's what it would amount to. You know why you don't remember stuff from before you were a year old? Because your brain was changing so fast. Memories got erased as quickly as they were made. If you were to change your brain structure at such a basic level, a similar effect would ensure that the person you are now would be totally erased. You would have to re-learn how to walk, talk, read, and perceive the world--a second infancy which might not completely restore the damage done by those drastic changes. And that person, the one who came out of that, who might possibly have the equivalent of a lifelong traumatic brain injury, would not remember you.

Not that it can actually be done with today's science, and for that I'm grateful, for I'm sure many of us would have it forced on us.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com