Does your mind seem clouded most of the time?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Sharrow
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2013, 8:34 pm

I am self diagnosed high functioning autism, among other things. I was wondering if others with HFA and AS had a hard time thinking clearly like I do. I know that I am intelligent. But when it comes to socializing in particular, my mind starts racing. I just start thinking about what the person I'm talking to is thinking about me. I really have to concentrate on what my body language is portraying too. If I don't I find myself scratching my face, my legs, or fidgeting with something. But sometimes when I'm by myself even, I just feel like I can't think clearly.
Does anyone else have that problem too?

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 9:44 pm

yes

or my brain goes blank altogether, just flat blank.

not very often, but it usually terrifies the natives.

JMac26
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2013, 10:06 pm

I have a hard time thinking clearly most of the time and occasionally when I'm alone. My mind gets worse as my anxiety increases.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 10:08 pm

I would say crowded, not clouded. But I have ADD, not ASD.

Sharrow
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2013, 10:48 pm

1401b wrote:
yes

or my brain goes blank altogether, just flat blank.

not very often, but it usually terrifies the natives.

Ya, I hate that! That actually happened to me today trying to order some ice cream. lol, Eventually, I'm like, "Just give me that ice cream stuff with bananas and strawberries."

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 11:01 pm

Yeah, me.

wildcoyotedancer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2013, 11:32 pm

Yes and worst when I am anxious.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 11:59 pm

Yes & when stressed it becomes worse. When I am relaxed & feel happier I seem to think more clearly.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jun 2013, 12:07 am

Yes for the majority of the time. My mind tends to go blank when I'm trying to think of what to say so that my speech doesn't come out like a trainwreck that mumbles. I also tend to tune out my surroundings so I'm always off in my own little world.

I don't know if my antidepressants have anything to do with that.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 12:31 am

Gazelle wrote:
Yes & when stressed it becomes worse. When I am relaxed & feel happier I seem to think more clearly.

This. Sometimes I can't grasp the words I'm looking for, which can be embarrassing on it's own. Sometimes I can't grasp the words offered until the conversation has floated away. :(

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

Sharrow wrote:
Ya, I hate that! That actually happened to me today trying to order some ice cream. lol, Eventually, I'm like, "Just give me that ice cream stuff with bananas and strawberries."

    I order like that too! LOL "gimme some of that white stuff, the cold white stuff, no the darker white stuff. cold. stuff." I point and flap my hand around,
    "and some of those red thingys and some of those round white things too. the monkey things." (strawberries and chopped bananas.)
    "...please!" (I always forget that)

    I try to pretend that I'm doing it on purpose, just for fun, which usually does fool the natives.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 5:18 pm

If someone's mind is clouded most of the time, would they be able to recognize that? Wouldn't their usual state of mind seem normal to them? Wouldn't any brief lifting of the "cloud" just feel strange to them?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 12:22 am

If someone's mind was clouded all the time, no they would not be able to tell when the cloud lifted.

It is normal to have a lapse in thought and forget what you were going to say and/or feel like a word "is on the tip of your tongue."

Someone who is depressed may feel like their mind is in a fog and then when the depression improves and decreases, it could feel like a cloud has lifted.