Do you like having an autism spectrum disorder?

Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 11:28 am

Same here. And they would probably hit you for calling them "cripples". Or run you over with their power chairs. Or if they weren't feeling particularly energetic they might be nice about it and file you away in their "sadly ignorant bigot" box, and go spend time with people who don't think their lives are tragedies.

Yes, I like my life. I don't think it is better than being neurotypical, but I don't think it's worse, either. It's just different.

That doesn't mean that I can't be angry because of the lack of opportunity and bad treatment we receive. Some people say that "If only I weren't autistic, I wouldn't be treated like this, I would be able to do what I wanted to do." But blaming that on the autism doesn't make sense. It's like blaming a child abuse victim for being a vulnerable child and thinking the solution was to make the child act like an adult. It's like blaming the KKK on the existence of black people and thinking the solution was to make black people look, think, and act like white people, to swap their culture out with some equivalent white culture so that they wouldn't get crap from racists. Me, I think it makes more sense to just stop being racist. Blaming the minority for how they are treated or for the opportunities they miss is just such a twisted form of prejudice that it can slip under the radar and make people think, "If only I weren't the person I am, things would be better," and hate themselves instead of fighting for their rights.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 11:38 am

I like how I am more interested in my interests, such as art and animals, because of my Asperger's. I also admire how it made me a different person because of how smart I was at school.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2013, 12:19 pm

Most the time I like it. I like my mind other than my poor social skills. I'm not really aware of it and often forget for a while that I'm not passing as an NT until someone goes off on me or starts acting like I told them I have a booger collection and avoid me. It's especially upsetting when it's someone who I thought understood me, then I feel really alone in the world. I mope for a bit until I remember I have a really cool brain to play with and find something to occupy myself. :P

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 12:55 pm

Callista wrote:
Same here. And they would probably hit you for calling them "cripples". Or run you over with their power chairs. Or if they weren't feeling particularly energetic they might be nice about it and file you away in their "sadly ignorant bigot" box, and go spend time with people who don't think their lives are tragedies.

Yes, I like my life. I don't think it is better than being neurotypical, but I don't think it's worse, either. It's just different.

That doesn't mean that I can't be angry because of the lack of opportunity and bad treatment we receive. Some people say that "If only I weren't autistic, I wouldn't be treated like this, I would be able to do what I wanted to do." But blaming that on the autism doesn't make sense. It's like blaming a child abuse victim for being a vulnerable child and thinking the solution was to make the child act like an adult. It's like blaming the KKK on the existence of black people and thinking the solution was to make black people look, think, and act like white people, to swap their culture out with some equivalent white culture so that they wouldn't get crap from racists. Me, I think it makes more sense to just stop being racist. Blaming the minority for how they are treated or for the opportunities they miss is just such a twisted form of prejudice that it can slip under the radar and make people think, "If only I weren't the person I am, things would be better," and hate themselves instead of fighting for their rights.

I agree here

Also note some with autism love having it some hate it and some are indifferent. This holds true in every disabled and abled community there are people who don't have anything wrong that wish they did. So there you have it. I think it is Al's a personal thing in general and some switch back and forth on thier views of it.

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 1:17 pm

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
Why don't you go ask a cripple if he enjoys being crippled?

I've asked two. They both said yes.

I wonder how Steven hawking would answer that question.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 2:42 pm

I hate it. It feeds my depression and has caused a lot of pain and suffering in my life. I really, really, really want to be able to communicate and have connections with others. I want to be able to read people and respond to them, rather than guessing. It stands between me and those wishes. I do blame Aspergers for my troubles, but I do not blame myself. It's something I *have* rather something that defines me. I was born this way, it was no ones fault. However, I still have a choice. I can either give up and use it as an excuse or I can stand up and tackle my symptoms. I just really wish I had more tools and support so I can accomplish the latter.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 2:45 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
Why don't you go ask a cripple if he enjoys being crippled? Why would I like having an ASD?

Agreed. I don't understand why would one like having such a sh***y thing.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 3:02 pm

Joe90 wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:
Why don't you go ask a cripple if he enjoys being crippled? Why would I like having an ASD?

Autism can give you special skills others could never achieve.

But aside from those special skills, I'd have to agree, it is a disability.

Overall I cannot see why one would choose having it over not having it (if the choice was available at birth).

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 May 2013, 3:28 pm

Yes, I am happy being on the autism spectrum. Sure, I have some challenges---but doesn't everyone? Autism has given me unique talents and abilities I would not have had without it. Autism has given me narrow focuses into specialized interests that are magical to me. Looking back on my childhood, I can say autism was like a best friend to me. A fear I have is that if reincarnation exists, I will come back NT. I would want to come back with Asperger's. I cannot imagine life without being on the autism spectrum. I am happy with it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 4:00 pm

I believe in reincarnation, and I'm spending this life really hoping I will come back as an NT. I want to have a normal upbringing (like I have in this life), but be NT, with no other conditions like chronic depression or anything like that, and no specific physical health conditions, just in case somebody posts all these annoying ifs and buts, like people seem to do on here.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 4:33 pm

If didn't get so bored out of my effing mind so effing easily I would effing enjoy it so effing much! :x :lol: :x

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 5:25 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
Ettina wrote:
Quote:
Why don't you go ask a cripple if he enjoys being crippled?

I've asked two. They both said yes.

I wonder how Steven hawking would answer that question.
Like this:
Quote:
In my opinion, one should concentrate on activities in which one's physical disability will not present a serious handicap... My disabilities have not been a significant handicap in my field, which is theoretical physics. Indeed, they have helped me in a way by shielding me from lecturing and administrative work that I would otherwise have been involved in. I have managed, however, only because of the large amount of help I have received from my wife, children, colleagues and students. I find that people in general are very ready to help, but you should encourage them to feel that their efforts to aid you are worthwhile by doing as well as you possibly can.
Source
Considering the generation he's from, he's actually ahead of his time as far as disability rights is concerned. I don't agree with him on the idea that you have to prove your value--that disabled people are assumed to be incompetent initially and have to prove they aren't, while able-bodied people are assumed to be competent until they prove they aren't. But he doesn't seem to be arguing that disabled people should have to prove themselves; it's more like he's just saying, "Yeah, that's the way things are; if you're disabled, you have to show you're worth something." But he's over seventy years old now. He's not one of those young, defiant disability rights advocates; he's a scientist first and foremost, and I admire him mostly because he is so, so good at writing books about advanced topics in physics that even a bright high-schooler can understand them, as I did. You don't find that kind of writing talent in most scientists.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 12:23 am

qawer wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:

Overall I cannot see why one would choose having it over not having it (if the choice was available at birth).

No one said those skills were caused by Autism or that you wouldn't have them if you weren't Autistic. You can't know one way or the other.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 12:41 am

seaturtleisland wrote:
qawer wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:

No one said those skills were caused by Autism or that you wouldn't have them if you weren't Autistic. You can't know one way or the other.

Exactly. On that same coin, either you like/accept yourself or you don't. I don't get referring to autism as an outside quality we can separate ourselves from. Neurological wiring seems more permanent and ingrained then say hairstyles. :?

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 1:35 am

Probably responsible for my poetry which is the only ostensible talent I have.

Probably responsible for having only one talent. Useless one at that.

EQ: 6.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 1:36 am

No No No, Why would like being defective beyond belief. Those who answered yes, I suspect that is the defect talking.