Do therapists, doctors, and support people hate you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2013, 1:28 pm

My experience has mostly been negative with people in the 'helping' field. I get on OK with them for a while, then something goes terribly wrong. I had one person who blew off my appointments after a while, and talking to her supervisor did no good because her supervisor must have talked to her already and she probably poisoned the person's opinion of me, so nothing ever got resolved.

If someone in the helping profession takes a personal dislike towards me, they will use any loophole they can to not help. I view many of them as merely insecure NTs who don't want to lose their jobs and get creeped out by the odd Aspie who maybe in their minds could be a potential psychopathic stalker nutjob who shows up at midnight on their doorstep. Even professionals, their fear response is heightened of anything that seems 'off'.

People in the helping field seem to have the same negative bias towards anyone 'different' as nonprofessionals - If they do not like you they will jerk you around and you'll get lost in the labyrinth of the system trying to get help..... and before you know it, everyone will have cold fronted and blocked you (at least that was my personal experience, YMMV).

I had a few people in the helping field who were actually nice to me, but by and large they had the same prejudice.... because I do seem different and odd. I find that the rules are different for people that they like and those whom they dislike.

What has been your experience?

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 1:34 pm

You absolutely must be in the UK, it sounds about right.

I think when they find out it's Asperger's they lose interest because they know they can't change your neurology and they aren't interested. Even happens with ASC children. The NHS just doesn't want to provide the service.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2013, 1:54 pm

whirlingmind wrote:

I think when they find out it's Asperger's they lose interest because they know they can't change your neurology and they aren't interested. Even happens with ASC children. The NHS just doesn't want to provide the service.

I'm from the US. It is probably just as bad here. There are virtually no services for adults with AS.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 2:01 pm

I do't know if my therapists hate me,
because I cannot read people.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 2:05 pm

A lot of people are not very good at their jobs, including those in the health service.

Surprisingly you can not assume that choosing to work as a health professional is even motivated by the desire to help others.

I have had many issues attempting to find appropriate advice. One doctor who I had previously avoided at all costs is now really trying to help me move forward. I'm not entirely sure what has triggered this change but it is much appreciated.

Good luck in your search for help.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 5:08 pm

Same here, I have a lot of trouble with people in the helping professions. I even volunteered for a hospital once and was kicked out and the woman held absolutely noo understanding at all, bull crap. As for being a patient, I have a 50% failure rate, 40% neutral rate and a 10% success rate. As for people who chose to be in a helping profession, bull s**t. What sucks is that I am moving, so I have to find a new psych that worries me.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 9:19 pm

I don't know if they HATE me, it's hard to tell since they rarely show any real emotion at all, but I most definitely hate them. They betrayed my trust, judged me, lied to me, insulted me, forced me to endure hell and for that I will never forgive them. :evil:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Jun 2013, 10:48 pm

Reason one: When I told a therapist that I had been severely sexually harassed by students in high school, she was not supportive. Reason two: When I was coaxed by a therapist to participate in a study of people on the Spectrum for which I would be paid, I participated until she decided that she didn't like me anymore and she instructed the people doing the study to not pay me and not answer their phones when I called demanding my money. Even though I had answered a lot of highly personal questions. Reason three: A therapist that I was seeing accused me of seeking a "trophy" boyfriend when I confided in her that I had a crush on a guy from a culture different than mine.

Yes, I have reasons to hate them, but it gets old after awhile.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 11:28 pm

I think my last therapist liked me. I made him laugh quite a bit. I quit going because he couldn't help me understand myself. I might be selling him short, but I sensed he was looking to help with concrete problems. I can manage that on my own. I think I was hoping for some new insight that he never provided.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 3:16 am

whirlingmind wrote:

Can relate to this- I have an ED and once I was assessed for ASD, the attitude changed to 'you'll probably find it harder than most people to break the habit' and now I don't have any support for it at all.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 4:32 am

I absolutely agree with the OP. Even those in the "helping" field do act differently depending on whether they like or dislike you. Although they are human beings, too, they are supposed to be in a position to understand and help you and should not judge your weirdness.

I have seen some "helping" professionals but most of them didn't seem to like me and were very dismissive of me. I didn't benefit from them at all. They rather made me feel miserable. I think most of them are judgemental just like anyone else. I still believe there are some good ones.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 4:35 am

When I was more naive I thought that people would be professional and do what needed to be done, but of course that is not the way of things with the vast majority of people.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 5:11 am

My last shrink was great, but I've had my fair share of incompetent idiots who simply can't stand anyone having a different opinion.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 5:41 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
They betrayed my trust, judged me, lied to me, insulted me, forced me to endure hell and for that I will never forgive them. :evil:

Actually, the more I read down this thread I realise that it's truer for me than I thought. Although I really don't know that I can say it was personal (although for sure some of it was), or just the system being so crap and their NT behaviours making them unwilling to do anything outside of the box, admit their errors, or challenge the status quo.

I relate to your sentence above, although like I say, I don't believe their motivation was all personal, they were just crap and weak.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 8:13 am

No problems with GPs. But have had problems with a support worker. She thinks I don't have Autism, which I don't think she's qualified to diagnose.

Last2Know
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2013, 9:13 am

Worst mistake I ever made was telling my GP about my Asperger's diagnosis. She treated me like a clueless child from that point on.

I never reveal my diagnosis to docs anymore, and fortunately I do well pretending to be NT.

Best doc I ever met was a gastroenterologist... he listened to me, was respectful, and treated me as a partner in my own care. They are out there but few and far between.

The problem is that most Aspies are very smart and know how to do research. I have found that when you go in there with more knowledge/intellect than they expect you to have, the docs who are egomaniacal feel threatened and start accusing you of being "invested in diagnoses". I had one doc laugh right in my face when I said that my post-surgery pain had "increased exponentially" in the last week. He said, "exponentially, huh?"

The absolute worst place for me is an Emergency Room. My defenses are down there, it's a sensory nightmare (in a big hospital) and meltdowns are always a threat there.

I really try to avoid doctors unless absolutely necessary. Sad, really.