Please analyse/interpret my WAIS results

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 6:08 pm

I took this in 2008 so it's not new. I just have never understood whether my results were "typical Aspie" or not. Anyone an expert at this type of thing? Can you analyse these results for me?

Quote:
Overall
General cognitive ability in high-average range = overall thinking and reasoning abilities exceed those of approximately 86% of adults my age
(FSIQ = 116; 95% Confidence Interval = 112-120).

Verbal score (VIQ) - Superior
VIQ = 122 higher than approximately 93 out of 100 individuals my age on tasks that required listening to questions and giving responses.
highest score on the Vocabulary subtest
lowest score on the Arithmetic subtest.

Performance score (PIQ) - Average
higher than approximately 68 out of 100 adults my age
nonverbal reasoning abilities, as measured by the Performance IQ, are in the Average range and better than those of approximately 68% of my peers
(PIQ = 107, 95% Confidence Interval = 100-113
highest score on the Matrix Reasoning subtest
lowest score on the Picture Arrangement subtest

The Perceptual Organization Index (POI) - Average
Perceptual Organization Index score is comparable to my performance on the Perceptual Organization Index exceeds that of 73% of my agemates
(POI = 109, 95% Confidence Interval = 101-116) Performance IQ score
I performed significantly better on verbal reasoning tasks than on nonverbal reasoning tasks, "such differences in performance are not very unusual among adults in general"

Verbal Comprehension Index (VCI) - Superior
Verbal Comprehension Index score is generally comparable to my Verbal IQ score
ability to understand and respond to verbally presented material is equal to or exceeds that of 95% of others my age
(VCI = 124, 95% Confidence Interval – 117-129)

Working Memory Abilities - High Average
performed better than 84% of my age-mates
(WMI = 115; 95% Confidence Interval =107-121)
highest score on the Digit Span subtest
obtained lowest score on the Arithmetic subtest

Processing Speed Abilities - Superior
skill in processing visual material without making errors is much better developed than that of my peers
performance on the Processing Speed Index is better than 91% of my age-mates
(PSI = 120; 95% Confidence Interval =109-127).

Summary
However, there is a significant difference between my verbal comprehension skills and my nonverbal reasoning abilities. "This difference
suggests that there is some variability in her performance on these tasks although the magnitude of this difference is not unusual in adults her age."

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Jun 2013, 6:30 pm

It looks like one standard deviation between your verbal and performance scores, with the difference repeated to a slightly lesser or slightly greater extent across the remainder of your subscores.

That seems like what is assumed to be "typical Aspie."

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 9:33 pm

Verdandi wrote:
It looks like one standard deviation between your verbal and performance scores, with the difference repeated to a slightly lesser or slightly greater extent across the remainder of your subscores.

Verdandi - I am curious - Do you have any insight on analyzing WAIS-IV results.

VCI (Verbal Comprehension Index) - Score=114 Percentile=82%
PRI (Perceptual Reasoning Index) - Score=123 Percentile=94%
WMI (Working Memory Index) - Score=122 Percentile=93%
PSI (Processing Speed Index) - Score=114 Percentile=82%

Interestingly, while my WMI scores were relatively high on WAIS-IV, my working memory scores as measured by Wechsler Memory Scale (WMS-IV) were simply awful (scoring < 25% on immediate memory, delayed memory, visual memory and auditory memory).

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Jun 2013, 9:57 pm

I am not really all that great at interpreting things related to WAIS. I mostly noticed whirlingmind's PIQ and VIQ were exactly 15 points apart, which I found interesting, as well as how that pattern replicated across other areas (although not exactly). 15 points in the WAIS is, I believe, one full standard deviation.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 12:03 am

The one thing that struck me is that you don't have processing speed deficits. I'm not sure how many Aspies have deficits in that area though. I know I do and I heard somewhere that it's associated with AS.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 1:09 am

What struck me is where the therapist twice said the differences are not very unusual for adults my age. This was before I was diagnosed.

This is one of the reasons I'm particularly interested to know if this is "typical Aspie".

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 1:30 am

They're not so unusual as to be striking on their own. If you pulled an average person off the street and gave them the IQ test and got those scores, you wouldn't think it was too unusual. However, combined with autistic traits, the VIQ/PIQ gap is yet another piece of evidence of atypical cognitive functioning.

It's kind of like this--Say you're looking for Persian cats. If a cat's got long fur (your VIQ/PIQ gap), that's not unusual and it's not enough reason to think it may be Persian (autistic), because VIQ/PIQ gaps aren't that unusual and occur in many people who are quite neurotypical otherwise. But say you have a cat with a short nose and a round head and a stocky body (you have autistic traits), and that cat turns out to also have long fur (the VIQ/PIQ gap), then the long hair adds to the pile of evidence that you're looking at a Persian (an autistic person).

So in someone with autistic traits, the VIQ>PIQ can be said to be consistent with autism, even though it would be fairly unremarkable on its own. Neurotypicals may not have the extreme skill scatter you see in autistics, but they still have strengths and weaknesses, and sometimes those arrange themselves in a way that shows up as a VIQ/PIQ gap.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 1:59 am

When I was tested, the Psychologist suggested that people with Aspergers typically test noticeably higher (i.e. by ~ 1 standard deviation) on VIQ (or VCI, if using WAIS-IV) as compared to PIQ (or PRI, if using WAIS-IV). Which is exactly what Verdandi indicated. She suggested that people with Aspergers tend to not be highly Visual (and, hence, have a measurably lower VIQ).

Out of curiosity, I asked the Psychologist about Temple Grandin (who I am almost certain has a PIQ>VIQ). She explained that Dr. Grandin was HFA, not Aspergers.

Honestly, that part of the discussion made me a bit skeptical with the black magic behind the science of psychology. Not to mention the accuracy of my own diagnosis. Ultimately, my poor scores on the Wechsler Memory Scale (WMS-IV) and Wisconsin Card Sorting test convinced me. I guess. LOL.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 2:17 am

Callista wrote:
They're not so unusual as to be striking on their own. If you pulled an average person off the street and gave them the IQ test and got those scores, you wouldn't think it was too unusual. However, combined with autistic traits, the VIQ/PIQ gap is yet another piece of evidence of atypical cognitive functioning.

It's kind of like this--Say you're looking for Persian cats. If a cat's got long fur (your VIQ/PIQ gap), that's not unusual and it's not enough reason to think it may be Persian (autistic), because VIQ/PIQ gaps aren't that unusual and occur in many people who are quite neurotypical otherwise. But say you have a cat with a short nose and a round head and a stocky body (you have autistic traits), and that cat turns out to also have long fur (the VIQ/PIQ gap), then the long hair adds to the pile of evidence that you're looking at a Persian (an autistic person).

So in someone with autistic traits, the VIQ>PIQ can be said to be consistent with autism, even though it would be fairly unremarkable on its own. Neurotypicals may not have the extreme skill scatter you see in autistics, but they still have strengths and weaknesses, and sometimes those arrange themselves in a way that shows up as a VIQ/PIQ gap.

Thanks for that explanation Callista.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 2:19 am

Verdandi wrote:

Thanks Verdandi, I don't know why, but I had in my head it was a greater difference than that for most Aspies. I have misunderstood something somewhere then!

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 2:26 am

seaturtleisland wrote:
The one thing that struck me is that you don't have processing speed deficits. I'm not sure how many Aspies have deficits in that area though. I know I do and I heard somewhere that it's associated with AS.

My brain never stops, (hence my username) and it does feel as if things go really, really fast in there. I read very, very fast too.

I am a visual thinker, I don't know if that makes any difference. Although my maths scores were likely appalling as I have real trouble in that area, I was very good on reordering number sequences backwards and recounting them (bizarrely).

I guess the stereotype of Aspies is that we are all good at maths, which I fail on miserably. It's like a blockage in my brain when it comes to maths.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 12:46 pm

The studies differ as to whether VIQ>PIQ is more common in people with ASD, the opposite is more common or whether they're are equally common. One study showed 1/3 of subjects with ASD had VIQ>PIQ, one third PIQ>VIQ and one third PIQ=VIQ. On the other hand, a lot of studies do correlate scattered sub-score with ASD. I agree with Callista that the discrepancy shows some cognitive, neurological abnormality that when combined with symptoms of ASD could be part of the clinical picture. My scores are actually similar to yours. My VIQ is in the superior range but my PIQ is low average/borderline ID range. I was told that the discrepancy between them was as great as it would be for someone who had a right hemisphere stroke. My processing speed is also low average range.

One other thing I noticed was that your comprehension sub-score was consistent with the rest of your VIQ. Most studies show that people with ASD have a comprehension deficit and comprehension is supposed to be indicative of social understanding. However, one recent study showed no comprehension deficit in subjects with ASD. You could find this study in the WP archives, it was posted here in another thread. My comprehension score was also consistent with my VIQ when tested as an adult , though it was considerably lower as a child. Your's might also have been lower as a child and improved over the years.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 2:44 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Thanks Verdandi, I don't know why, but I had in my head it was a greater difference than that for most Aspies. I have misunderstood something somewhere then!

I am not positive on the actual differences, but I have seen references to 1+ standard deviation difference between the two scores.

Callista gave a fairly good example (although for some reason I now want a Persian cat).

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 5:57 pm

^^^
Vernandi, you're right that 15 points is exactly one standard deviation on the WAIS.