Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

l0st0ne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2013, 10:22 am

Could someone please tell me the difference between them?

ForeverAloneVirgin
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2013, 10:35 am

Aspergers is simply a type of autism.

l0st0ne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2013, 10:37 am

could you explain more?

ForeverAloneVirgin
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2013, 10:40 am

This is what is under the Autism Spectrum Disorder:
-Autistic disorder (classic autism)
-Asperger's disorder (Asperger syndrome)
-Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS)
-Rett's disorder (Rett syndrome)
-Childhood disintegrative disorder (CDD).

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 10:51 am

A person's who Aspie can have sensory issues and processing issues, maybe even pretty severe ones. Just less obvious ones, and basically, a lot of the classification comes down to that.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 11:02 am

Previously autism and Aspergers where only really separate by use of language and language development. Children who did not develope appropriate language or were delay or couldn't use language in a social means or as a means of communication and persented with other autism symptoms where typically labeled with Autism while with Aspergers the child presented with autism symptoms but they did not have a medically significant speech delay.

Pdd-nos was diagnosed when they either a couldn't fit someone into one of the proper categories ie had a speech delay looked like classic autism but then after language was gained they gained significant language skills and outward sly appeared more like an aspie while others got pdd nos because they had some but not all the symptoms of autism. Some think that pdd nos is the mildest form but that is a stereotype for some it isn't but others who had pdd nos where severely effected

Today however autism pdd-nos and autism are all under one label

Autism spectrum disorder and given a severity level. This is very new and only about a month ok.d but the new criteria for autism is really good. In my opinion

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

l0st0ne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2013, 12:20 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
A person's who Aspie can have sensory issues and processing issues, maybe even pretty severe ones. Just less obvious ones, and basically, a lot of the classification comes down to that.

so less obvious than someone with autism?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 12:28 pm

Ja, the speech/language delay thing didn't really get used faithfully. I had a major speech delay, but soon gained significant speech/language abilities. I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 6 and Asperger's at 13.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 12:28 pm

I was developmentally delayed as a toddler. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 16, then autism spectrum disorder in March.

As an adult I do not have the social skills or daily self help skills to be independent yet. Although my verbal comprehension is in the average range, I can have difficulty speaking. I am training to have a supported job. I am in OT.

I read the subtypes and find them confusing.

Last edited by Lumi on 29 Jun 2013, 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 12:29 pm

ASdoggeek has given the widest view of the situation,however ASD is only merged into one label in the DSM manual at the moment,the DSM is heavily used in america.
the UK and other countries mainly;although not entirely use the ICD manual and they still use the seperate labels under ASD,the new ICD is out in 2015 some time,and they are still deciding on whether to keep up with the DSM or stay using the seperate autistic labels.

OP,
'autism' was never a diagnosis but people have long used it to refer to classic autism when classic autism is also a form of autism,no form has exclusitivity over the label as much as many people and certain quackery organisations wanted the general public to believe.

all forms of autism have to meet the triad of impairments to qualify as autism,this is where they all identify with each other.
classic autism and aspergers are the same albeit everyone differs in where they come on that spectrum.
will find people diagnosed with classic autism who never had significant speech and language difficulties and people diagnosed with aspergers who had significant speech and language difficulties,it depends on the experience of the pysch who diagnosed,the amount of supporting evidence and the diagnostic manual used.

aspergers and classic autism both have different criteria for inteligence.
people with classic autism can have inteligence anywhere from the lowest to the highest,whereas in aspergers its under condition the person has iq one point or higher out of the intelectual disability spectrum.
the intelectual disability spectrum is what defines the term 'low functioning' it has a knock on effect on how we express and experience our autism,one point and higher out of the ID spectrum is called 'high functioning' and this also has a knock on effect how hfas express and experience their autism.
this criteria has caused much discrimination for both classic autism and aspergers.
those of us with classic autism who also have intelectual disability are assumed to be of no worth,and have no opinion to offer;was even told this by a individual here [a nonentity who still likes sockpuppeting fake autism experiences here and elsewhere;had ended up being severely cyber bullied into severe mental illness by him],users on here have even said we shoud be put on an island to stop us being a care and financial burden,we are not even allowed our own voice nor supported by the autistic community with many saying its ok to 'cure us' but never hfa.
people think autists with classic autism dont achieve anything,and classic autists such as temple grandin [diagnosed] and einstein [historicaly diagnosed and researched by experts,temple grandin being one] are called aspies because they have done good things.

high functioning autists are always stereotyped as being academic/above average so when any are not that,and when any actualy happen to be severely affected enough for it to affect their independance,behavior,access to education,ability to live completely independantly etc they are rarely believed,they are over expected to do things in many cases,for some people they are capable and can cope with the challenge,for others it just ruins their self confidence even more and is a common cause of depression/mh issues in aspies.

so what is the difference? we are all autistic,we all express and experience autism differently.
hopefuly the new ICD will merge the spectrum to and will finaly rid the world of a discriminative criteria that has been used to abuse, hold many of us down or over expect for years.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 12:47 pm

Well I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I was diagnosed at 8. The professional psychiatrist who helped get me a diagnosis (we still know her to this day) says that if I hadn't of started school so badly, nobody would have known I had Asperger's, and probably would have been diagnosed later on in my teens or something, and just spent my childhood being assumed that I had some sort of ADHD or learning difficulties or something. But because I didn't settle in at school on my first week (my sudden behaviour showed that something wasn't right), that's when teachers and my parents wanted to know what was wrong and what caused that unusual behaviour on my first week of school.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 4:17 pm

KingdomOfRats, I very much agree that the division between "high"-functioning autism and "low"-functioning autism is artificial and limiting.

Instead, to me, it's so much more obvious to treat people as individuals, perhaps good with some skills, not so good with others, and full-fledged human beings either way. Of course we are, and should be so treated. :D

And somehow our institutions have a very hard time seeing this!

l0st0ne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2013, 5:17 pm

For example which is harder to diagnose in an adult?

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 7:25 am

I don't think one is harder to diagnose than the other. However, some of us are harder to diagnose due to other disabilities and gender. (females have different traits)

Bojoing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2013, 10:26 am

I believe KingdomOfRats preferred the division between high-functioning and low-functioning autism?

There has to be some kind of a label for us, and ASD is better than separated diagnoses like aspergers. I am still an asperger tho, I'm diagnosed by ICD-10. When I last checked, the revision is gonna be like DSM-V, but who knows how it will be a few years from now...

Please, excuse my grammar, I haven't been writing in english for a while :)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 1:07 pm

And KingdomOfRats, I am sorry people engaged in bullying behavior. That is not what we at WrongPlanet should be about. In particular, it is very uncool for people here to suggest to anyone that he or she go live on an island.

This is where people should not be passive bystanders. Should instead say something in a confident and matter-of-fact way, hopefully before things have gotten too bad and it's still gray area. And if things have gotten blatantly obvious, so be it, please still say something in a confident and matter-of-fact manner.

And not as a self-imposed obligation, which can be dry. But rather as an open opportunity to help, that's what can be much more motivational. Come on, people, let's be more on the ball.