How Well do you Breathe Through your Nose?

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How Well do you Breathe Through your Nose?
Very Poorly 23%  23%  [ 14 ]
Poorly 23%  23%  [ 14 ]
Alright 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
Well 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
Very Well 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 60

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jul 2013, 1:43 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
atdevel wrote:
I'll explain when I get enough votes

OP: you are very quiet, and as you are a new member, I can't help but have a little suspicion that this is a troll trying to have a laugh at our expense.

Perhaps you could put my mind at rest and explain what this is all about?

haha whirlingmind!! This is funny that you should criticize me for being "very quiet" as autistics tend to be quiet. This is exactly why I believe some Autistics do need treatment.

I also tend to lose track of time, another feature of Autism.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 1:52 pm

Care to share yet?

You might not be the only one thinking about this stuff, and I see your post on a thread about facial shape and airway trouble.

I don't have any neat answers yet, so I await yours eagerly.

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jul 2013, 2:28 pm

NobodyKnows wrote:
Care to share yet?

You might not be the only one thinking about this stuff, and I see your post on a thread about facial shape and airway trouble.

I don't have any neat answers yet, so I await yours eagerly.

My response was long, but in short, I wanted to see which body characteristics correlated with autism based on that book I read. Mental being is generally associated with the mind, and the body is often discounted.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 2:39 pm

People have been trying to correlate Autism with physical characteristics for decades.

They have all been wrong.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jul 2013, 2:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
People have been trying to correlate Autism with physical characteristics for decades.

They have all been wrong.

Evidence for your assertion?

Look at this also:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5481971.html

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 4:28 pm

atdevel wrote:
Fnord wrote:
People have been trying to correlate Autism with physical characteristics for decades. They have all been wrong.
Evidence for your assertion? Look at this also: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5481971.html

Singular studies, not vetted by peer review.

Last year, it was the relative length of one's fingers. The year before that, it was body mass index. Every year, it seems that Autism is linked by someone to gender identity issues. Next year will be another speculative fad.

Let us know when any of these "studies" are confirmed by independent peer-group review.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jul 2013, 5:01 pm

Hey I'm bald, I wonder if its my superior intelligence making all my hair fall out? maybe we can start diagnosing Autism by the amount of hair we have ;)

Well if we can measure Autism by the size of our noses then why not!

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 5:06 pm

Curious:

What did they do to treat it? I noticed a bunch of things that were just mildly "off" (including facial muscles not coordinating) and have an easier time reading, speaking and being emotive now that some are better.

I've had to do most of the work myself by reading about anatomy, so any suggestions would be most-welcome. (The diagnosis actually got in the way of getting anything of those things worked up as anything but Asperger's.)

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jul 2013, 6:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
atdevel wrote:
Fnord wrote:
People have been trying to correlate Autism with physical characteristics for decades. They have all been wrong.
Evidence for your assertion? Look at this also: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5481971.html

Singular studies, not vetted by peer review.

Last year, it was the relative length of one's fingers. The year before that, it was body mass index. Every year, it seems that Autism is linked by someone to gender identity issues. Next year will be another speculative fad.

Let us know when any of these "studies" are confirmed by independent peer-group review.

http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/in-br ... ences--b--

Was published August 28, 2012 in the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders under peer review.

The face study was published in Molecular Autism under peer review. I emailed Manuel Casanova, a neuroscientist that studies Autism about this article. I also attached a picture of my face and he said that my face looks very similar.

These studies have to be replicated, though they are a couple years old.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 7:22 pm

The article you linked to still cites only one study - "Stewart B.A. and A.J. Klar J. Autism Dev. Disord. Epub ahead of print (2012)".

Just because a paper has been published in a peer-review journal does not mean that any peers have actually reviewed it; even less that the original study has been vetted.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 7:28 pm

There have been numerous studies suggesting some sort of physical link between ASDs and (insert physical characteristic), several of which look more like sampling bias.

Some of the ideas out there are far better documented than what the OP offers. I'm stating that as a statement, not an endorsement.

Just to be clear on this with the OP, are you seriously indicating that the "cause" of ASDs is an inability to breathe through one's nose? That's how your OP reads at the moment.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm

^ This.

I have no trouble with my own nasal breathing, except during allergy season or when I have a cold.

Many of my NT acquaintances do have sinus problems year-round.

If the NIH backs up this study, then I'll give it more credence.

Until then, I remain skeptical.

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jul 2013, 7:59 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
There have been numerous studies suggesting some sort of physical link between ASDs and (insert physical characteristic), several of which look more like sampling bias.

Not the studies I posted. The subjects were selected and analyzed using nonselective methods, if you take a look at the studies. The lung study is being redone to see if every autistic has this configuration, or just autistics with irregular coughs

Some of the ideas out there are far better documented than what the OP offers. I'm stating that as a statement, not an endorsement.

Which Ideas?

Just to be clear on this with the OP, are you seriously indicating that the "cause" of ASDs is an inability to breathe through one's nose? That's how your OP reads at the moment.

Well, being AS, I do have some trouble communicating my ideas, but I never meant it that way. I was just curious if it was a prominent factor for most cases of AS. Gilmartin said only half of his subjects had this problem, and my survey shows it too. I lived with it for 20 years, so I have some say in it.

As for more reliable research, fnord is right -- for now. We will have to wait a few more years.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... res-study/
http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/in-br ... ose-autism

BTW, I did find two published studies on facial features.

Luinil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2013, 3:52 am

I have always had trouble breathing through my nose and I often feel that my sense of smell is usually almost nonexistent. I have nasal allergies every day of the year, as well as some recently developed food allergies. I had a severely deviated nasal septum that was surgically corrected when I had my (rather large) tonsils removed back in 2011. I don't know about the difficulty breathing = shy part, but it sounds like an interesting line of thinking.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 5:46 am

I'm one of those mouth-breathers who look like a fish out of water.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 6:23 am

If there actually would be a correlation (a poll is not sufficient research) that wouldn't make difficulty breathing through the nose the cause of autism. It could be because of the link between autoimmune disorders and allergies and autism.
I find it ridiculous that some of you argue with actual research just because someone who posted ideas you didn't like mentioned it. :roll: