How Well do you Breathe Through your Nose?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How Well do you Breathe Through your Nose?
Very Poorly 23%  23%  [ 14 ]
Poorly 23%  23%  [ 14 ]
Alright 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
Well 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
Very Well 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 60

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2013, 8:25 am

I'll explain when I get enough votes

EDIT:

Ok guys I don't have all day to spend on this site, thats why I haven't replied yet. But the reason was that I read in a book called "Shyness and Love" by Brian Gilmartin that half the people he studied had difficulty breathing through their nose. This was a book on people that had difficulty approaching potential romantic partners. This was written in the 1980s, before the term Asperger's was invented. A lot of the subjects had autistic-like symptoms.

Love-shyness is more than involuntary datelessness. The unemployment rate is 5x the national average, and a third of love-shies have seriously considered suicide. “In fact, they (the Love-Shies) are about as severely cut off from these normal social gratifications (daily social interaction) as they would be if they were serving a life sentence in a federal or state prison.", Gilmartin says.

I was just curious to see how many people had difficulty breathing through their nose on this site. I had difficulty myself, but wasn't aware of it since I breathed through my mouth. It's important to breathe through the nose since breathing through the nose is associated with freedom. If anyone here has difficulty breathing through the nose, they should see a doctor, since it's a health issue.

It seems that about 40-50% of people have it on this forum, which parallels his book.

I support neurodiversity, but I also support autism research. I believe that there are some people with autism that need treatment. From reading the book, I learned that I have this problem, and got treatment for it. I can think and socialize better now.

Last edited by atdevel on 04 Jul 2013, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 8:29 am

Well I do have mild hay fever which may have some affect, but I feel a bit panicky when I try into breathe only through my nose. it's like I can't get enough oxygen. And a girl sat near me on the bus once said "Urgh! you're breathing really heavily!" when I was breathing through my nose, which made me feel horrid because it made me sound like I was some weird, pervert or something, like in a heavy breather phone call.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2013, 10:11 am

I really struggle to just breathe through my nose too, its horrible, and yes I get the panicky bit too. though I too have hay fever (& asthma) so I don't know if this is part of it either.

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2013, 10:11 am

I really struggle to just breathe through my nose too, its horrible, and yes I get the panicky bit too. though I too have hay fever (& asthma) so I don't know if this is part of it either.

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 10:37 am

We heard you the first time grahamguitarman. :wink: :lol:

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 10:41 am

whirlingmind wrote:

Smartass :lol:

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 10:41 am

whirlingmind wrote:

Smartass :lol:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 10:45 am

Rascal, you have an echo. :lol:

(Now let's not derail this thread any more. 8) )

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 11:15 am

No problems here. I know a few people who have problems because of sinus issues. Most of said people aren't autistic; seems to be a fairly common problem.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 11:37 am

I have lots of problems breathing through my nose. Then, I have severe, chronic allergies. I've found what helps me is avoiding foods that cause inflammation, and, in particular, peppermint oil, which is also very soothing to the gut. The other thing I use is ephedra tea, though this might be difficult for American aspies to get, as it is now illegal to buy or sell, though not to possess (it grows wild on my property). But it might work for those in countries with saner laws.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 11:43 am

My nose used to be there only for decoration.

It served no practical purpose.
But now its the main orafice I breath through.

When I was a child I used to tell mom that "I think God stuck my nose on wrong" which concerned her, but she was clueless.

When I was in my 20s our family doctor volunteered that I had "the worst deviated septum he had ever seen" confirming what I always suspected as a child.

Finnally!

So I got the operation to straighten out my septum (the wall between one's nostrils), and its all good now. I can swim, and can keep my mouth closed while I eat now and such.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 11:46 am

naturalplastic wrote:
My nose used to be there only for decoration. It served no practical purpose.
But now its the main orafice I breath through.

When I was a child I used to tell mom that "I think God stuck my nose on wrong" which concerned her, but she was clueless.

When I was in my 20s our family doctor said that I had "the worst deviated septum he had ever seen".

Finnally!

So I got the operation to straighten out my septum (the wall between one's nostrils), and its all good now. I can swim, and can keep my mouth closed while I eat now and such.

Naturalplastic, I've been told I have a deviated septum too. Could you tell me more about your experience with your operation and exactly what it did for you? That's something I might consider for myself.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 12:07 pm

It depends on whether or not I'm having a cold or some kind of sinus issues. Aside from those, I'd say I breathe pretty well. I tend to get one or two really bad colds per year (usually once during the winter, and once during the summer - maybe it has to do with the accompanying weather changes), and I sometimes sneeze when there's a lot of free-floating dust in the air.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2013, 1:32 pm

more people plz

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2013, 1:34 pm

As a result of a broken nose, I don't breathe well through my nose, obviously.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 3:00 pm

Other than allergies and colds, I guess I breathe quite normally for a human being.