How many of us have poor motor co-ordination?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2012, 1:13 pm

Interested to know how many others out there battle with their co-ordination, e g are like me in that I can't ride a bicycle or drive a manual transmission car. I was fortunate enough to be exempted from military conscription (in the early 80s our country had compulsory conscription).
Is this quite a typical autism / Aspie trait?

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 1:19 pm

I have fine motor skills clumsiness, and it's typical of NLD.

Kaylos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2012, 1:33 pm

As a child, mine was terrible. I started developing better coordination as I started playing sports because that was where my fixation was. It didn't really start developing truly though until I went to college and my hobby and the army got me in better mind frames. Then int he last few years, it has grown even more as I have learned to stop trying to think my way through it and let my body learn on its own. The body itself learns much better when you aren't trying to control it with the mind.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 1:39 pm

I can ride a bicycle and drive a car, but it took me years to learn how to type with any speed and I still make many errors. How I love word processors. How I hated manual typewriters and then electric typewriters.
I still tend to bump into furniture and door frames.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2012, 1:49 pm

My fine motor skills are okay, but I'm very clumsy and am always bumping into things. I didn't learn how to ride a bike until I was 12, and even now I'm not very good at it. Interestingly, I danced ballet for 12 years and was fairly decent at it. I'm terrible at all other kinds of dancing, though.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2012, 1:50 pm

double post :/

Last edited by gretchyn on 15 Nov 2012, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2012, 1:50 pm

triple post :/

Last edited by gretchyn on 15 Nov 2012, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 2:31 pm

mine vary
I have really shaky hands though
I can drive a manual
I can weld which requires really steady hands
on the other hand
I cant catch a ball
I can be pretty clumsy and walk into things
sometimes I will start shaking really bad that I lose all fine motor skills

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2012, 2:35 pm

I also bump into things sometimes and yes I also battle at times with my comuter keyboard as well - but using it reularly has certainly helped improve my condition, as has marathon running. I would like to be able to help other Aspies and autistics, to motivate them to do the best they can and also to help NT's understand the way we think, better. We aspies are more tolerant toward one another than the NTs - having seen some of the "typical" forums, this is without a doubt so. We are more "normal" than most of them are with their bickering and shallow thinking!

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2012, 3:00 pm

Eh, I play guitar/piano at a very proficient level, type 100+ wpm, had no problem learning to play any sport and be decent at it (in P.E. anyway, never actually played sports) BUT, I can barely screw in screws or handle them, can't build little model cars or boats or airplanes or really anything else that requires my thumb and fingers to interact with each other and I drop the lid of almost every water bottle I open, haha. So mostly no :)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 3:14 pm

I didn't really learn how to catch a ball until my late 30s...

I've found that motor coordination does improve with lots of practice--throwing darts is a great way to practice fine motor skills.

I don't ride a bike, but I do have a nifty adult tricycle. :D

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 3:23 pm

I'm terribly clumsy and slow at sports. And my fine motor skills aren't the best.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 4:55 pm

i have fine motor skills problems and visual-spatial problems. i can drive, but park poorly. i can swim all different strokes and dance, but can't play sports with a ball. my handwriting is atrocious.

DaBeef2112
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2012, 4:57 pm

My hand-eye coordination is horrible. I also have a poor sense of where my body is when I can't see it. As a result I constantly hit my arm off walls and door frames... I can ride a bike but don't have drivers license. Handwriting is not legible can type but not very fast.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 42 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
AQ = 41 EQ = 9

ManicDan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Nov 2012, 7:02 pm

mine are great. i love what i can do with my hands (and the extra sensitivity makes it easier to notice the little details that matter when working with stuff). i have good balance and took a few years of karate. but i dont posses the motor skills for dancing and probably never will.

HOWEVER, writing SUCKS!! ! after about 100 words my hand is so cramped up i almost give up using it. so i dont take many notes and on exams if they are paragraphs, i have to stop a few times and let my hand rest.

blue1skies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2012, 7:22 pm

Yes, to some degree. I trip when I'm walking quite a bit and I have no ability to play sports at all! I don't really know how to make my body do things other people do naturally, like hold a hockey stick.