Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jainz
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2013, 9:06 am

I find background noise distracting, but there's something particularly off-putting about voices, as in I physically can't concentrate on what I'm doing if somebody's talking. If somebody talks while I'm reading something, the written words become totally meaningless. It's like somebody's jamming my brain. I have to play music through noise-cancelling earphones to help me focus. Does anyone else have this specific problem?

wildcoyotedancer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2013, 10:48 am

I definitely have this problem but because I can't wear earphones at work (I am a 1:1 to kids on the autism spectrum) and especially when I am working with my current client in his house and his mom insists on watching really bad TV at full volume so even when I take my client into a different room it is impossible. Also while I was reading your post, my mom was on speaker phone and I had to keep stopping and starting over. Before I suspected I might have AS, I just got grumpy but didn't know why about this. I thought everybody was being rude.

Inspirations
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2013, 12:11 pm

Yep I'm the same with reading and also don't try and talk to me when I'm carrying hot drinks as I'm focusing on not spilling

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 10:30 pm

Definitely. As I analogize it, every conversationalist is a radio. And listening to several different stations playing simultaneously is a drain.

EQ: 6.

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2013, 11:17 pm

I was actually going to post this very subject a minute ago. The exact same for me, if someone is talking, the words will mean nothing and I will have to reread the paragraph and that makes me angry. I was reading my Kindle a little bit ago and my daughter was reading something out loud, I made it 3 page turns and realized I might as well of been reading the ceiling. I reread it like it was brand new. Very frustrating.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2013, 3:55 am

check.