Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 10:02 am

What happens to people with aspergers and autism as they entre old age like beyond there 40's?

kembleman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2013, 10:10 am

my dad is 47 years old and i was diagnosed with aspergers around a week from today at 18 but i assume that most of the symptoms of aspergers are still very much present dispite the age difference but within a different range and not as severe as not being able to talk comfortably enough to understand most NT's.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 11:26 am

Speaking as an antique in my late 40s, I can say that the energy of youth is no longer available to compensate, and that sucks. On the other hand, some things gradually got better over time.

I am more physically coordinated now than I ever was when I was under 25. I can beat people at darts, throw an American football and I managed to pass many tests and reach a fairly advanced level in Tae Kwon Do--all inconceivable to my younger self.

But now I find things I used to bounce back from exhaust me, and sometimes this hits my autistic traits. It can take longer to get back to feeling like I can face the world after I crash/burn out.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 11:26 am

Old age like beyond their 40's?
Never heard of such a thing.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 11:36 am

Marybird wrote:

What do you mean by that?

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 11:43 am

I wouldn't call that old age. I have 2 years to go to be 40 and I don't feel old yet but back when I was younger I would have thought of that age as old.

I don't know what is going to happen to me. I just have to hope my mother will have money to leave to me when she is gone because I live with her and don't work.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 12:20 pm

My LFA brother who's 33 at the moment will probably be put in a psych ward when my parents will be dead because he needs a person to take care of him 24/7 and I'm not able to do that.

My father, who's over 50 now, who has many AS traits and is diagnosed with schizoid features and ODD has always had an independent life and has always worked, even though his traits are still quite noticeable.

I don't know what is going to happen to me, I think I'll be like my father more or less, maybe a little lower functioning but more or less like him IMO.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2013, 1:28 pm

Old age! I wasn't even diagnosed until I was 55!
In the week before he died my dad was reading Quantum Physics, and had just installed a new printer/scanner for his PC. He was in his 99th year.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 1:33 pm

Marybird wrote:

So you live in the city? Will you go for Renewal at Carousel? Or do you think you will leave it al behind and spend your final days running from the Sandmen?

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 1:48 pm

Depends on if your life circumstances change.like you get married and have kids or something, but if you don't, you remain a teenager except that your body can no longer match your requirements of it, lack of energy for instance.

Its also inappropriate for somebody in their mid fifties to still hang out at young people type social events, so you stay at home alone instead.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 4:11 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Marybird wrote:

What do you mean by that?

You shouldn't expect to be old at 50. There is a lot of misconception about age. Many people, on turning 50, are surprised to find that they are still young.
I am well over 50 and can still walk for miles, run up a flight of stairs and dress like a teenager.
Don't cut the human life span short because then you won't have as much to look forward to. Most people expect to live into their 80's and beyond.
As far as living with Aspergers or autism, that remains constant but your attitude toward it may change. You may become more accepting of yourself as you age and have a better perspective of what is and what is not important in your life.

Last edited by Marybird on 15 Jul 2013, 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 4:14 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Marybird wrote:

So you live in the city? Will you go for Renewal at Carousel? Or do you think you will leave it al behind and spend your final days running from the Sandmen?

I can't answer that. I am not familiar with those concepts either.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 6:32 pm

My first book, a collection of stories, is coming out in a few months. I've had books before but they were self-pressed during college so they don't count.

I had the same level of suicidal ideation last week as I did when I was 30. The difference is I didn't act on it last week.

I wrote my first novel earlier this year and hope to have it out by the spring of next year.

I played in a band for 2 1/2 years and we broke up about three years ago. I recorded an album after that where I played all the instruments and produced it myself.

I'm friendless and alone, and it does bother me, but it doesn't make me suicidal.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 6:35 pm

Jamesy wrote:
What happens to people with aspergers and autism as they entre old age like beyond there 40's?

When I was 50 I decided to sell off my successful business and travel for a few months. My first stop was Jamaica. I met an interesting couple in the airport in the airport, where we were delayed for two full days. And when we got there, they helped me find a good place to stay. That was a little wood shack fifty steps from the Caribbean. I lived there for 15 years.

MsFogg
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2013, 8:15 pm

Everything is falling. Where are you now?

Eliza

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 8:56 pm

Marybird wrote:
You shouldn't expect to be old at 50. There is a lot of misconception about age. Many people, on turning 50, are surprised to find that they are still young.
I am well over 50 and can still walk for miles, run up a flight of stairs and dress like a teenager.

I ENVY you your spryness.