Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 2:44 am

I started a thread aaaaages ago (now dead) debating wether people approved of the term aspie, but now I've begun to question another of our common terminologies - NT.
Is NT a derogatory term? I know it doesn't seem incredibly negative, but calling everyone else NeuroTypical seems kinda offensive. Not in a big way, but I guess it seems to me that all it does is widen any percieved gap between (far lack of a better phrase) us and them.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2007, 2:54 am

I don't see it as derogatory but I can see where it widens the gap. Professionals use it, it's all over organised Autism websites and in books written by NT's about Autism. I see it as more just a way of distinguishing between the two. If I was an NT I don't think it would bother me to be referred to as that and just be glad it's that rather than "AS" or Aspie.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 3:01 am

Not necessarily a bad thing, but many of us have had at least one bad experience with an NT, one that really stands out.

For me, it was my first romantic relationship. She was a cheater and a manipulator.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 3:09 am

Oh, don't get me wrong, I hate loads of them. But then again, I've hated people with aspergers syndrome too, so I think it's important when you use the term to at least acknowledge that you don't use the term negatively.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 3:57 am

It's initial adapatation by the Aspergers community was a humorous take at the term AS and it's use in relation to people with that diagnosis. It's origins seem to have been lost and it has become a general designation for anyone without some kind of problem/diagnosis. These days it can vary from a neutral designation to an offensive one, and the latter seems to be the most popular usage. Sad, really.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

23 Jan 2007, 5:17 am

I've always been interested if there are any other ways to say Neurotypical. That is, and other scientific names for it. A latin version, perhaps, like Dinosaur (Terrible Lizard) and bird (Pteron)?

As for offensive, so far the offense can only go as far as people saying the same to us and replacing it with Aspie or Autie (Autie sounds more offensive-prone, IMO). So far, neither have gotten to the extent where it can draw offense even in a non-offensive manner, like n****r can.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 5:47 am

I don't see it as derogatory and I rarely see it used in place of a derogatory term. It simply is a term to distinguish the difference. Easier to say "AS" or "Aspie" and "NT" instead of "Us" and "Them". You never know who is reading so "Us" may not be "Us" as I may be "AS" and you reading may be "NT". :)

I would like to point out that NTs really are necessary. I have noticed the difference in this message board alone. I participate in lots of message boards and those that are full of NTs have more of a community - that is, a question gets asked and after only a few posts it has wandered off track, people are asking about each other - if someone ever had that baby or saying hello - did you ever move across the country after all - things like that.

Here I see a question is asked and there will be fifty replies, each separate one answering the original question. :D

I think the literal mindset and the disinterest in so much chit chat is very obvious here. To me the difference is very clear.

For message boards to become a bonded community I think NTs are needed.

:> earthmom

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 7:03 am

I don't think the term itself is derogatory, although many Aspies will use it as a putdown. Others will just use it as a description. Some NTs are good, some are bad, as in every major group. I've met many who committed acts of evil against me that you wouldn't believe, but I've met some who were quite charitable. I think that non-Aspies who find the term "neurotypical" offensive, might be a little oversensitive, as it's a label based in fact. They are neurologically typical, whilst we are atypical. One isn't necessarily "better" than the other.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 7:51 am

I have been under the impression that "Neuro-Typical" was the politically correct term because of the offensive implications (offensive to the atypical) of the term "Normal."

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 7:53 am

MrMark wrote:
I have been under the impression that "Neuro-Typical" was the politically correct term because of the offensive implications (offensive to the atypical) of the term "Normal."

Yes, I for one strongly object to "normal", it makes us "abnormal". :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 8:35 am

andy1976uk wrote:
MrMark wrote:

Yes, I for one strongly object to "normal", it makes us "abnormal". :(

nobody wants to be called abnormal.

wedrifid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2007, 8:52 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Nobody wants to be called abnormal.
Nobody is a very absolute word. I'd go with few.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 9:22 am

HEY, The jews have GENTILE! The ahmish have ENGLISH! So the AS have NT! I think that's fair!

Steve

aspieduck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2007, 3:17 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
nobody wants to be called abnormal.

"Abby someone . . . Abby Who?"

"Abby, uh . . normal."

From the movie Young Frankenstein, in case someone didn't get the reference and start giggling immediately.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 3:34 pm

I'm NT and I don't mind the term at all - I think it's funny!
But remember boxes are for squares. The AS thing IS a continuum, so the term just make it easier to generalize.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 3:38 pm

katrine wrote:
I'm NT and I don't mind the term at all - I think it's funny!
But remember boxes are for squares. The AS thing IS a continuum, so the term just make it easier to generalize.

"aspies" are living in a dangerous delusion if they honestly believe they're "better" than NTs.