Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 3:47 pm

It seems like the OP has made a thread consisting of spurious claims, created unnecessary distress and upset a number of WP members, paid no attention to those concerns and continues to ignore queries on the subject.

Tilkor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2013, 4:09 pm

Not a scientist, but I have been helping scientists understand protein strains. A lot of these protein strains, if misfolded through a chemical reaction, could cause diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. If anybody is concerned about catching Alzheimer's and/or Parkinson's, check out this sight:

Rosetta@home

I'm a big fan of this particular sight, and so far have performed roughly 3,200,000 units of work so far. There are other sights and projects you can participate on as well. Some of them involving space exploration, weather prediction, and so forth.

Check it out and see if it's something to consider.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2013, 5:43 pm

The links you posted that can be accessed without subscription show no such link.
One promotes chelation therapy, a discredited quackery for autism vaccine "cures".
One describes research on parts of DNA as showing a possible future understanding of brain development.
One announces a blind trial of drugs in advanced Alzheimers.

Alzheimer's brains have amyloid plaques and tangles, and severe shrinkage.
Can you please copy and paste the information you have access to that shows autistic brains have this development.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 7:56 pm

My father's side of the family seems to have some people on the spectrum though none of them was diagnosed because there was no such concept of HFA then. They were all eccentric lonely people, but I don't think any of them had Alzheimers.

I hear old people who don't interact with others (old people living alone) have a higher chance of having Alzheimers because the brain doesn't get much stimulus. As we know autistic people tend to be alone. So if there is indeed a link between autism and Alz, could that also be in a social context?

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2013, 12:50 am

whirlingmind wrote:

Which brings me to the next question, is it better to be unaware of your physical decline, by having mental decline, does it leave you without fear of your demise?

I think we agree that the first part of this thread is not proven and I must point out to those who compare Alzheimer's to autism that Alzheimer's is progressive and if you do not die of something else along the way, it totally robs you of all independence and dignity.

However, the second part is of great interest to me. My generation is seeing more and more people with dementia among our parents as people live to a greater age. Anyone I speak to does not want to be kept alive if they develop dementia and people threaten to kill themselves when they have a diagnosis but this does not happen in reality. People just carry on and many deny their condition or just accept support until they are no longer able to cope independently. However, the ones who are physically disabled but do not have dementia seem to suffer far more as their medical conditions become more and more debilitating. I dread developing Alzheimer's but know that if I do I will be unaware of the other indignities of old age

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jul 2013, 1:30 am

Dillogic wrote:
No, it's not, but there's overlap in symptoms.

Are you trying to upset vulnerable people in this forum? Why are you spreading this misinformation?

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 1:46 am

nominalist wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
No, it's not, but there's overlap in symptoms.

Are you trying to upset vulnerable people in this forum? Why are you spreading this misinformation?

It seems to be be the main component of this thread by the OP too.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jul 2013, 1:54 am

neilson_wheels wrote:

Yes, this entire thread is nothing but trolling.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 2:29 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
There is also premature senile dementia, although I don't know the association between that and ordinary aged dementia (or autism).

Common use is 'early onset dementia' as described previously in this thread, the phrase used above is seen as confusing.

Regarding the rest of your thread. I really feel that you are scare mongering here with no actual evidence to back up your claims.

A link has not yet been theorized let alone proven,

You post articles that can not be viewed by public, are not found or happen to put Alhzeimers and Autism in the same sentence.

The closest thing to evidence that you have linked to is this:

Quote:
Conclusion

At first glance, Alzheimer’s and autism may seem like two different diseases. But a closer look reveals that both of these conditions may be caused by many of the same things, such as exposure to heavy metals and endocrine-disrupting chemicals as well as disruptions to an important process called methylation. Detoxifying the body, exercising and consuming key nutritional supplements can go a long way in boosting cognitive health.

I really do not feel that you should be upsetting people by making claims that do not exist.

[yawn]

(I have BTW read anecdotal evidence on another autism forum, but I don't want to post a link to another forum on here, this is meant for discussion only, boo-hoo if you are scared.)

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 2:35 am

nominalist wrote:
neilson_wheels wrote:

Yes, this entire thread is nothing but trolling.

As a "WP Supporter" I would have thought you would have better understanding of the site rules. Malicious accusations of trolling are against said rules, and you are utterly incorrect to boot. Perhaps you and neilson_wheels ought to collect those toys you just threw out of the pram. No-one is forcing you to be on this thread and most others are discussing it in a mature way and taking it in the manner in which it was intended...which is for discussion.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 2:40 am

whirlingmind wrote:
[yawn]

(I have BTW read anecdotal evidence on another autism forum, but I don't want to post a link to another forum on here, this is meant for discussion only, boo-hoo if you are scared.)

Wow, that's a mature response.

I'm not upset myself, you have obviously not read the replies from other members posted to your thread. I find that strange as you are usually fully involved in threads that you have created. I find your behaviour irresponsible, why anyone would regard your website as a suitable source of information when you make claims like this, I just don't know?

Is that another forum where they advocate blood letting and crystal healing?

Last edited by neilson_wheels on 19 Jul 2013, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jul 2013, 2:44 am

whirlingmind wrote:
As a "WP Supporter" I would have thought you would have better understanding of the site rules. Malicious accusations of trolling are against said rules, and you are utterly incorrect to boot. Perhaps you and neilson_wheels ought to collect those toys you just threw out of the pram. No-one is forcing you to be on this thread and most others are discussing it in a mature way and taking it in the manner in which it was intended...which is for discussion.

Malicious, eh? lol. I will just let the moderators deal with the trolls as they see fit.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 2:52 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
[yawn]

Wow, that's a mature response.

I'm not upset myself, you have obviously not read the replies from other members posted to your thread. I find that strange as you are usually fully involved in threads that you have created. I find your behaviour irresponsible, why anyone would regard your website as a suitable source of information when you make claims like this, I just don't know?

Is that another forum where they advocate blood letting and crystal healing?

It's about as mature as some of your recent behaviour (which I am not getting into a discussion about).

I have only seen one response that would fit such a description and this is within the frequent pattern of responses that are usual in that particular case if you care to check.

There are times when people post information they have seen for the benefit of illumination and discussion among members, there is no rule that says you have to stay in the thread yourself. And I actually do have a life, with much higher priorities.

And now you are just resorting to your usual style of name-calling and pettiness. I won't be baited. As for my website, it contains bone fide links to reputable sources. As with any website, including those linked to on my OP here, people are adults here and are welcome to view and make their own assessments as to reliability and credibility of information. Or does everyone that ever posts a link on here have to type a disclaimer underneath just for your benefit? Don't insult people by thinking they cannot read or analyse for themselves. I will not enter any further discussion with you. This thread is not for arguments or your personal agendas.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 2:59 am

whirlingmind wrote:
We may be at higher risk of developing alzheimers/dementia...I find this scary.

Provide some evidence to support this statement.

whirlingmind wrote:

None of these links provide evidence for you opening statement.

whirlingmind wrote:
Which brings me to the next question, is it better to be unaware of your physical decline, by having mental decline, does it leave you without fear of your demise?

This is the only part of your post that warrants discussion but it is obscured by you disinformation above.

whirlingmind wrote:
Edited to very slightly amend the wording of the first sentence to comfort the minority of overreactive members...

Why don't you live up to your signature?

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 3:03 am

whirlingmind wrote:
It's about as mature as some of your recent behaviour (which I am not getting into a discussion about).

:roll:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 3:04 am

Thread locked due to flaming.