Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

maia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2013, 10:26 am

Just curious.
There are a lot of smells that would be offensive to an aspie due to sensitivities.
Does anyone have any weird smells that they like?
Mine would be petrol, permanent markers, that burnt smell and spearmint.(that is not an unusual one).

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 11:12 am

Petrol smells good to me when there is very small quantities of it, such as an old gas stain in a garage, but much more than a mere dash of it and I get a headache, nauseous, and overwhelmed. I think that it is the way the "harshness" of certain senses feel in one's nose that causes us to like the more peculiar senses, like rubbing two pieces of sandpaper against each other in one's hand.

Most of my favorite smells are fairly typical: fresh-cut grass, fresh-baked cookies, that cucumber-melon scent, cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint, and Bath and Body Work's Japanese Cherry Blossom. I do not know if this is unusual, but I also rather enjoy the smell of coffee beans.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 11:36 am

I think that sporting goods stores smell really good. Not sure why though, maybe it's a rubber smell from the equipment. Some of my "normal" favorite scents are fresh cut grass, cinnamon, vanilla, jergens hand lotion, popcorn, brewed coffee and coffee beans, this is just a partial list.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 11:46 am

WerewolfPoet wrote:
Petrol smells good to me when there is very small quantities of it, such as an old gas stain in a garage, but much more than a mere dash of it and I get a headache, nauseous, and overwhelmed. I think that it is the way the "harshness" of certain senses feel in one's nose that causes us to like the more peculiar senses, like rubbing two pieces of sandpaper against each other in one's hand..

I love the smell of petrol! Mmm-mmm-mmmm! :D :D

singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2013, 12:06 pm

I like the smell of turpentine. I used to paint in oils, and the smell of turps was happiness.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2013, 12:14 pm

I LOVE the smell of pages in books! I'm not a big reader, but I love putting my face right up to books and sniffing all the pages.
Oh, and getting into a hot car. The sensation isn't nice, but the smell is. :P

maia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2013, 12:37 pm

forgot about coffee beans. Love the smell of rubber too. And turpentine. Seems to be all of the harsh smells. I would find the nice smells more overwhelming. Would people agree?

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 1:02 pm

I know this sounds weird, but I like how cats smell, as they have a unique scent. I also like the scents of books (old and new), newspaper, magazines, clay, and my mom's van.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 1:15 pm

WitchsCat wrote:
I know this sounds weird, but I like how cats smell, as they have a unique scent. I also like the scents of books (old and new), newspaper, magazines, clay, and my mom's van.

I was about to say the exact same thing about cats. :cat: I like "new clothes" smell (yes, I know it's all horrible, toxic chemicals), the smell of freshly cut lumber (when they put up a new wooden storage shed at my pre-school as a child, I would sneak off and sit in there just to smell it--part of my wandering behaviour), and the smell of burning leaves.

And when I was little, there was a weird French-fry kind of smell in the air every fall from a potato chip plant that was in the northwest part of town wafting over my neighborhood. I miss it now that I live on the other side of town.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 1:17 pm

54together wrote:
I LOVE the smell of pages in books! I'm not a big reader, but I love putting my face right up to books and sniffing all the pages.
Oh, and getting into a hot car. The sensation isn't nice, but the smell is. :P

Some (new) books smell better than others, depending on the quality of the paper the publisher uses. I've encountered some small paperback-only houses whose books actually smelled bad, but most are quite pleasant. Not as fond of the smell of old books, although it can lend itself to a sense of character, that the book has survived for so long and I have to respect that. I do not like the odors of library books, though, they carry the scent of all the sweaty hands and greasy thumbs that have gripped their spines and flipped their pages and that's just nasty. :eew:

I generally abhor perfumes and colognes, they bite my sinuses like ammonia, though Jovan's Musk for girls and Avon's Sweet Honesty have pleasant associations from my youth, but even those depend very much on the body chemistry of the wearer - they don't smell the same on everybody. I worked with a lovely black girl several years ago whose perfume was so heavenly it was absolutely intoxicating. She told me what it was and for the life of me I can't recall the name, but the scent was so soft and such a perfect mixture of fruity and floral that every time she walked past my work area, I felt compelled to get up and follow her. :heart:

The smell of apples makes a nice household potpourri, as do pumpkin and cinnamon. One of my favorite smells in the whole world, though, was the smell of a freshly opened vinyl record album. Slide the edge across the leg of your jeans to slit the shrink-wrap, squeeze open and inhale deeply through the nose. Man, that was almost a sexual high. Cds just never had that magic.

But the best smell on the planet - and its very subtle, I'm not even sure everyone can sense it - is the smell of Autumn. I don't mean artificially concocted commercial scents, I mean actual Autumn. The smell of the year turning back toward winter. Some years you can catch it wafting on the breeze in the latest days of Summer, drifting in from a distance, even before the grass has died and the leaves have started to turn. Those are the best years for it - if you can pick up the hint of it at the end of August, or in September, its going to be a beautiful fall. Then you can rake up all those leaves in late October and warm your hands in the cool twilight to the smell of burning Autumn leaves and that's an olfactory poetry all its own.

singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2013, 1:25 pm

WitchsCat wrote:
I know this sounds weird, but I like how cats smell, as they have a unique scent.

Dogs feet. :) They smell like stale corn chips.

halfandhalf
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jul 2013, 5:21 am

i have a very acute sense of smell , i dont like people smells or bad breath

i enjoy smells that are normal to not so normal

roses and plants to skunk and plastic

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 6:59 am

I generally don't like smells that are too strong. I hate most perfume smells.

I like the shoe shop smell.

3point1four
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2013, 8:00 am

WitchsCat wrote:
I know this sounds weird, but I like how cats smell, as they have a unique scent.

I like how they seem to have a shared generic 'cat' scent, but they each have their own unique version of that. One of my cats smells a little dusty (in a good way), and the other has a warmer smell. I clearly smell cats a lot!

I LOVE the smell of garages (the kinds attached to homes, not mechanics' garages); I think it's the concrete smell because concrete stairwells have a similar smell that I like, and the tunnels under the US Capitol complex have a similar smell too. I also like the smell of old churches -- the mixture of incense and old stone. And the smell of books and archives.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 9:19 am

Petrol, permanent marker, whiteboard cleaning stuff, skunk, new leather, new clothes, I also liked the smell of my son's poop when we was breast fed, new books, new notebooks, paper.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 9:49 am

Gas (petrol for brits) in combination with hot tarmac/asphalt. This is the smell of summer road trips and fills me with glee.

Oil paint and related solvents.

Fresh printer's ink.

Creosote treated lumber in docks and piers--I know this is the smell of lethal polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, but like the smells listed above, it's powerfully nostalgic for me.