Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 9:48 pm

Yes, they make me look fat.

aetherlost
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jan 2007, 10:07 pm

This is going to sound weird (well, so far everyone I've spoken to about it has told me it's weird), but I get really uncomfortable with seeing my image in mirrors or photos (I run away very quickly from video cameras so that's not an issue).
I know where I am. But when I've got a mirror in front of me, I'm there too. Then I get confused because I can't be sure where and who I am any more, and it's upsetting. If you want to leave me curled up and withdrawn, take me into one of those totally mirror-tiled bathrooms without warning me to close my eyes first.
Does this make sense, or am I being incomprehensible again?

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 11:30 pm

Contrary to the majority of posters here, I don't mind mirrors much. It's better for me to have them, but I wouldn't freak out if I didn't have any...

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2007, 11:48 pm

I tend to feel very uncomfortable watching my image in movies and photographs, but for whatever reason I don't find that to be the case in the presence of a mirror. Although, as one said before me, it's weird to think that everybody else sees a reversed image of how I appear in the mirror.

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2007, 12:20 am

yea i hate watching my own image (video recording, etc.), i don't know why i can't stand the way i look from someone's point of view and it's somewhat unsettling..lack of self-confidence, perhaps?..the sound of my recorded voice also makes my skin crawl 8O

Melantha
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2007, 1:22 pm

I don't like mirrors. When I see myself, I experience a kind of dissonance because I look so different than I feel. It's very disconcerting, so I avoid it when I can.

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 2:35 pm

I shouldn't look in mirrors, i start to obsess, i'll examine all my (perceived) flaws and try to strategize ways of fixing them. When i'm going out i'll constantly have to change my cloths, hair etc, because i'll look in the mirror and it'll just be...wrong. This has actually stopped me from leaving my house on occasion.

I'm trying to get around my mirror fixation by not wearing my glasses when i face a mirror and keeping my distance so that i can't see myself.

Melantha
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2007, 2:45 pm

MelancholyBunny wrote:
I shouldn't look in mirrors, i start to obsess, i'll examine all my (perceived) flaws and try to strategize ways of fixing them. When i'm going out i'll constantly have to change my cloths, hair etc, because i'll look in the mirror and it'll just be...wrong. This has actually stopped me from leaving my house on occasion.

I'm trying to get around my mirror fixation by not wearing my glasses when i face a mirror and keeping my distance so that i can't see myself.

I do this too. No glasses, distance. There are days I refuse to leave the house because I feel too hideous to inflict myself on the outside world. :oops:

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2007, 2:51 pm

Melantha wrote:
MelancholyBunny wrote:

I do this too. No glasses, distance. There are days I refuse to leave the house because I feel too hideous to inflict myself on the outside world. :oops:

I had a lot of trouble with this during high school. Not so much anymore.