Page 3 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 1:49 pm

Callista wrote:
I stood up to my sociopathic, abusive stepfather. When he was arrested for counterfeiting money, I gathered up the evidence, called the police, barricaded myself in my room, and held out against family members trying to get in until the police came. Then I threw the evidence out the window to give them probable cause. That was when his lies started breaking down. He was only given probation, but after that he was a lot less ready to hit me and my sister because he knew he'd go to jail if he did. I was fourteen.

I don't know if that's really an accomplishment, but it was probably the bravest thing I've ever done, and the most frightened I've ever been, both at once.

And darn it, Fnord, now I'm craving omelettes.

You have tremendous courage.
I am impressed.
I don't impress easily.
Be well.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

27 Jul 2013, 3:18 am

I also did graduate high school in the normal four years; I was just so excited, I jumped up and down when my name got called during the ceremony. :)

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 11:03 am

grahamguitarman wrote:
Wow that took enormous courage! I'm Humbled - I never had the strength to stand up to my abusive father :(
I've thought about that some--why I managed it when others don't. I concluded that I probably had advantages most people didn't.

1. I was not abused until I was eight years old. That means that my personality had a chance to form in a relatively friendly environment. My mom is eccentric and overprotective, but she is not abusive.

2. I had people in my life who truly loved me and treated me as a valuable person. My grandparents, especially, never talked down to me and actually appreciated it when I helped them out, like helping my grandma in the garden.

3. I have kept diaries since I was a very young child. So, when I wrote about what my stepfathers did to me, I was able to look back at it and think about the facts of the situation. My fact-oriented outlook let me put aside the accusations that I was supposedly at fault.

4. My experiences with my stepfathers taught me how to live with fear. I learned how to distance myself emotionally from the situation I was in, so that I was free to act. I think it is a lot like how a soldier in a war zone learns to deal with the fact that he could be shot at any moment.

5. I was unusually intelligent for my age and had a habit of using that analytical ability to solve problems. In terms of academic ability (though not emotional maturity or executive control), I was probably a match for my parents by the time I was about ten years old. That meant that if I used my mind to analyze the facts of the situation, I could see through my stepfather's lies.

And you have to remember: I spent years not standing up to my stepfathers. I was a scared child much of the time. In some situations, I deliberately provoked an explosion because that way I could predict when it was going to happen, but all the same, I was more focused on survival than anything else. On only one occasion did I manage to force myself to protect my sister when my stepfather targeted her (both of my stepfathers usually targeted me).

I have studied the psychology of abuse, and I think that I really was unusually lucky, as far as the unlucky population of abuse survivors goes. If I had been in a different situation, I might have been broken instead of just coming away with bad dreams and mental recordings of "stupid little kid" and similar insults. I had so much going for me. Many children don't. A child abused from an early age, abused by a more cunning adult, with no one to care for them, would have been hurt much more than I was. I learned how to disappear into books and daydreams. I learned about right and wrong, and I learned that it was possible for a child to be loved. All of that meant I had the weapons to fight harder than I otherwise would have.

But let's get back to accomplishments, shall we? I know a lot of us have completed some simply amazing special-interest-related projects... My little sister, for example, finished writing her first book at the age of fourteen.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 11:51 am

Let me add my name to those impressed with Callista's accomplishment.

I struggle to come up with an accomplishment I'm really proud of to post here. Sure, I've done some things at work and in my personal life that I'm proud of, but none of it seems impressive enough to say that is the thing I'm most proud of, out of everything I've done. I could say "not giving up" at any of the many points when I could have (and many would have in my place)" - but that sounds a bit depressing. So maybe I'll say "getting to where I am today". That's still very vague, but at least not so depressing.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

30 Jul 2013, 7:55 pm

I am proud of myself, personally, because it is hard enough as an Aspie to graduate college. That takes guts!

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 8:10 pm

I am recognized across my area for my dedication and passion for the ASD field. I speak across my province, have helped design a course for adults with AS, and am now assistant teaching said course and working one-on-one coaching some of the participants. I will also be paid to mentor two young adults with AS this fall.

Many people I meet say that I'm highly accomplished for my age, but I disagree as I haven't even completed university yet (though am going into my final year) and don't have enough money to live on my own yet. I'd feel better about myself once these two things are out of the way.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 8:12 pm

I haven't killed anyone.

JasonO
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2013, 8:56 pm

Got an advanced degree, then got a good job.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 9:09 pm

I persuaded another wrong planeteer that I was a good bet :)

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 9:17 pm

I developed psychosis at age 14, after having had poor functioning during the whole time before it, and yet I improved to become better functioning than I had ever had and even graduated college with a 4-year degree!

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 9:39 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I released a solo pop album called "Quartermoon" about two years ago which no one knew about. It took me a solid year to create it but it went nowhere. Oh well. I did release my first book to Amazon last week so I guess that's an accomplishment.
http://www.amazon.com/Wetland-and-Other ... B00E0NVTL2

Hey Red can you post your album on youtube and give us the link?

On a side note I don't really have that many proud moments. I don't even know if I could even call them accomplishments since none of them were planned, they just sort of just happened. I saved a girl from drowning in a river, won an international multiplayer FPS tournament, rescued some animals. That's about all I can think of. ok I take it back, I did plan on quiting smoking and I accomplished that. It just took 20 years :lol:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 10:32 pm

I'm not particularly proud of anything I've done, and I'm not sure what being proud of something I've done feels like.

I think that I feel good about persisting eberryday to work towards my goals though.

I also feel good that my catatar is adorable.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 12:54 am

I think mine was when I first moved out of home, I bought my own unit it was scary at first and I didn't know how I would go, but now I'm glad I did it as I'm independent.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 8:38 am

equestriatola wrote:
Again, self-explanatory.
--------
I'm a college graduate now, as I've said before. The fact that it took me eight years says something about me.
I think that is awesome and I don't care how long it took you, the fact that you were able to do it is great, especially knowing a bit of your background. I was never able to finish college.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 8:40 am

equestriatola wrote:
I also did graduate high school in the normal four years; I was just so excited, I jumped up and down when my name got called during the ceremony. :)
That is awesome.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 8:41 am

Callista wrote:
I stood up to my sociopathic, abusive stepfather. When he was arrested for counterfeiting money, I gathered up the evidence, called the police, barricaded myself in my room, and held out against family members trying to get in until the police came. Then I threw the evidence out the window to give them probable cause. That was when his lies started breaking down. He was only given probation, but after that he was a lot less ready to hit me and my sister because he knew he'd go to jail if he did. I was fourteen.

I don't know if that's really an accomplishment, but it was probably the bravest thing I've ever done, and the most frightened I've ever been, both at once.

And darn it, Fnord, now I'm craving omelettes.

All I can say is WOW! That is on e of the bravest and most courageous things I have ever heard in my life. Cheers to you Friend!