Diagnosis if some symptoms got better since childhood?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MartianInvasion
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2021, 11:45 am

Tl; dr: if some criteria for ASD are currently met, and others were present earlier in life (repetitive movements, complete lack of understanding of social cues) but have decreased/disappeared as time went on, could one still get a diagnosis?

Hi so I’m (Woman, 21 years old) currently waiting for the outcome of my assessment. For me life has been pretty much that I would constantly get into embarassment in adolescence because I would say things that I didn’t realize were too over-shar-y/explicit/revealing/inappropriate, and make everyone feel bad/react poorly to that, and I would struggle doing anything routine-wise if I didn’t understand the purpose behind it. However as the years went on it was like a language that I have been learning through trial and error, so I get into bad situations less frequently and keep my room somewhat tidy. But the social difficulties never stopped - I still have no relationships with my peers, still have no idea whether I’m saying the right things/being socially acceptable. I also had a nodding-and-humming tic when I was about 9 but my dad shouted at me for it and I made myself stop doing it.

And recently Ive started coming to terms with the fact I might be ASD, and accepting myself… and all of those adaptations throughout the years just fell away from me. I stopped doing eye contact, started being around other people less, started nodding and humming again when I’m alone and stressed… and only NOW do I realise how those things EXHAUSTED me for all these years. I can barely even bother formatting this and checking grammar. I feel super burned out… please be kind. Im new here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 12:12 pm

It seems logical that the person(s) making the diagnosis would base that diagnosis primarily on the signs and symptoms they personally observe than on what they are told regarding past signs and symptoms.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 12:41 pm

I appear slower than I used to, and therefore a lot more strangers help me if I struggle with things. I don't think I used to appear this bad.

Chris Packham has that social mask he uses to make him appear normal. I'm like him in his AS documentary, most of the time now.

I identify a lot with Venus Angelic. Her relationships with her family destroyed her.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 4:02 pm

MartianInvasion wrote:
Tl; dr: if some criteria for ASD are currently met, and others were present earlier in life (repetitive movements, complete lack of understanding of social cues) but have decreased/disappeared as time went on, could one still get a diagnosis?

Hi so I’m (Woman, 21 years old) currently waiting for the outcome of my assessment. For me life has been pretty much that I would constantly get into embarassment in adolescence because I would say things that I didn’t realize were too over-shar-y/explicit/revealing/inappropriate, and make everyone feel bad/react poorly to that, and I would struggle doing anything routine-wise if I didn’t understand the purpose behind it. However as the years went on it was like a language that I have been learning through trial and error, so I get into bad situations less frequently and keep my room somewhat tidy. But the social difficulties never stopped - I still have no relationships with my peers, still have no idea whether I’m saying the right things/being socially acceptable. I also had a nodding-and-humming tic when I was about 9 but my dad shouted at me for it and I made myself stop doing it.

And recently Ive started coming to terms with the fact I might be ASD, and accepting myself… and all of those adaptations throughout the years just fell away from me. I stopped doing eye contact, started being around other people less, started nodding and humming again when I’m alone and stressed… and only NOW do I realise how those things EXHAUSTED me for all these years. I can barely even bother formatting this and checking grammar. I feel super burned out… please be kind. Im new here.
It really depends on whether or not it's clinically significant. I think they also consider your past history in a diagnostic assessment. The answer toy our questino is mostly yes but it dependson the severity of the symptoms. If it's to mild you might not qualify for a diagnosis.