Anyone else love to learn facts and information?

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 1:35 pm

Hi HopefulFlower,

I thrive on learning facts. Many of them probably won't help me in everyday living, but I enjoy learning them none-the-less.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 8:51 pm

Did you know that only 3 of the 4 funnels (smoke stacks) on the Titanic were real. The 4th one was for decoration and venting to the kitchen. The 4th funnel was added because at the time the superstition was that the fastest and safest ships had 4 funnels.

Of course I like facts, tell them to NTs and they will walk away. :(

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2013, 8:58 pm

Absolutely. Once I get interested in a topic, I become hyper-focused on learning everything I can about it. My husband just shakes his head when I come home from the library with 30 books on one topic. I usually go through 3-4 month obsessions (though sometimes I go back and study about the same topics over again). Unfortunately, I am in school at the moment in a very boring program that I am required to finish to maintain my employment. That has prevented me from spending my time on a new area of obsession. :(

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 9:29 pm

I love learning facts, especially if it is a special interest of mine. Then I can spend hours reflecting on what I have learned and form my own ideas and conjectures and than learn some more and think about it some more.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2013, 7:05 am

Yes, I also love facts, it is my most favorite activity to pursue, in fact I think I could spend my whole life consuming pieces of trivia and I doubt boredom would ever descend upon me. I cannot understand why people don't just understand learning about the world for the sake of learning about it and that knowledge is fun regardless of the fact it doesn't have any utilitarian purpose. It's like those children at school who go 'well when are we ever going to use this knowledge?', well some of us will put it to use and some of us won't but that is the point, that is doesn't have to have a point, it is nice to be up to date with the nature of the world. My obsession at the moment is hallucinogenic drugs and thus I am trying to gather every bit of information about them from lsd being invented in 1939 by Albert Hoffman to the fact that magic mushrooms may have inspired the foundations of Father Christmas and his flying reindeer. If you are interested in space by the way, their is a fantastic book I am delving into at the moment called 'something from nothing.' It is not a list of facts but rather a book about how something(the world) came from nothing(the big bang), really compelling stuff :) Have a good day

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 7:24 am

I love reading about this kind of stuff, but I have problems with memory recall. It's all still in my head, but I have trouble remembering the stuff I read when I need to while other times it just pops back in my head when it's not relevant. :roll:

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2013, 10:06 am

I love learning, too. When I was little, I watched things like the science channel and animal planet more than I did cartoons and liked to read books with different facts in them. More than learning facts, I like making valid connections between them, especially if it's information from completely different subjects. I also like to talk about what I learn. I talk about facts so much that my sister gets annoyed with me sometimes.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 10:20 am

It's really incomprehensible to me that there are people who don't love learning.

Why bother being alive if you don't learn? The excitement of feeling a new structure of ideas forming out of facts in the mind is one of the most intensely joyous pleasures life can offer.

To choose not feel this would be like volunteering to be a zombie. Utterly incomprehensible.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2013, 3:41 pm

Adamantium wrote:
It's really incomprehensible to me that there are people who don't love learning.

Why bother being alive if you don't learn? The excitement of feeling a new structure of ideas forming out of facts in the mind is one of the most intensely joyous pleasures life can offer.

To choose not feel this would be like volunteering to be a zombie. Utterly incomprehensible.

THIS!! !

to me it's not about being smart or WHAT i am able to learn. it's just the experience of learning. how can anyone go through life not being interested in the world around them?

i totally get being focussed on special interests because i have a hard time learning anything i'm not interested in.

but, for me, i'm interested in nearly everything. there are consistent areas i love, like science (mainly physics but most all of it) and history and food, but, if it's new information i usually want it IN MY BRAIN. GET IN MAH BRAIN!! !

i'm interested in so many things i'm constantly distracted by new stuff. i have a hard time developing depth of knowledge because i'm always chasing after a new topic. and i constantly annoy people by appearing to be a know-it-all because i know at least something about damn near everything, and feel compelled (literally) to pass that information on.

i especially love little-known-trivia. poor richard, all he wants to do is watch TV and every three seconds i'm reminded of some tidbit of information from what's on the screen and i *have* to tell him. not saying something is pure torture (and makes whatever else we are doing dull). my favorite sentence starts with "did you know... ?"

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks