Understanding your weaknesses but being unable to act

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jonov
Raven
Raven

27 Jul 2013, 7:32 pm

Hope this isn't double but I couldn't find anything recent on it.

What bothers me the most about my autism is that I am fully aware of everything that I do and why I do it and still cannot become active or stop myself, while this is my strong suit when I talk about my autism with professionals it is my Achilles heel in practice.

I often wished I would do things more subconsciously, because maybe it wouldn't bother so much then, but then I would bother others twice as much, so for that reason I am glad I do it my way.

A few examples are:

I will sit in front of the computer and realize that the dishes are piled up, and I should really take care of them, but I am blocked and cannot start this task, I can stare at the dishes for hours, and even prepare everything I need for it, but I still cannot do them and it rarely happens I can remove the blockade.

I walk past someone on the street, and before I will walk past them I know what kind self reassuring behavior I will perform, but I cannot prevent myself from doing it, and even if I do a countdown in my head, I will still do it at the last second.

I will walk to a place where I meet people for drinks, and I know there will be new people that I haven't met, and I will take myself trough the entire process of what is considered protocol when meeting someone, and what topics I could use to open a conversation, but the moment I enter the bar I will do exactly the same I always do, and that is talking to the people I know and being completely mute towards the other people, until I had my first drink and/or unless they engage me first.

It is as if I am on my way to fix a car, but at the front door of the place I need to be suddenly lose my toolbox, and arrive empty handed.

There are many more examples, but I could type for days then, and I type too much as it is.

I would very much like to hear how other people experience this, and if you do then I love to know if you found a way to deal with it, because I tend to torture myself with these things often, and cannot prevent myself from seeing them as personal failures, because I feel I should be able to figure it out, if I can get as far as understanding what to do as well.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 10:32 pm

Jonov, bubbie, don't be so hard on yourself. You are the way your brain is wired. Some changes will occur over time, but you cannot just reprogram your essential nature, no matter what any neurotypical counselor tells you. I am nearly twice your age and still dealing with exactly the same issues. Its who you are and no matter what the NT world tells you, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Just because the small-minded have problems adjusting to people who are different, that does not mean that different is bad.

I realize that these neurological differences can be frustrating to you and that you would sometimes like very much to be able to do certain things the way others do, but the secret is - you can't, so you need to find work-arounds that do feel more natural to you and help you accomplish the same task. I can't tell you what those things are, as they're different for each individual and sometimes you discover them gradually or by accident. For me, sometimes it helps if I just don't think about it too much and make myself all self-conscious and hyper-aware of my state of mind. On the best of days, I have a hard time initiating a conversation with a stranger unless they ask me a direct question first.

As for those dishes, I attack the task in a two-phase method. One time, when I walk past them in the kitchen, I'll run the hot water and put in the soap, then later, when I come back into that part of the house, I'll wash them during a TV commercial break. But I do it every day, so they don't pile up, because its just harder to get motivated to do them if there are a lot of them. If there are only a few, it not such a big deal. :? On the other hand, I have an email from an old friend that I should have responded to a month ago and I haven't even read it yet. I'm not even sure why, I just can't make myself do it. When the time is right, it'll be easy, but right now, I just can't do it. Its maddening, isn't it? :oops:

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 10:57 pm

I have the exact same problems lately.

Especially with the damn dishes. Suddenly all my stuff i used and there is a huge MOUNTAIN of dishes.

I think i have some learning defect. Not to mention motivation. Not because im lazy im really not.

Jonov
Raven
Raven

27 Jul 2013, 11:12 pm

Willard wrote:
Jonov, bubbie, don't be so hard on yourself. You are the way your brain is wired. Some changes will occur over time, but you cannot just reprogram your essential nature, no matter what any neurotypical counselor tells you. I am nearly twice your age and still dealing with exactly the same issues. Its who you are and no matter what the NT world tells you, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Just because the small-minded have problems adjusting to people who are different, that does not mean that different is bad.

I realize that these neurological differences can be frustrating to you and that you would sometimes like very much to be able to do certain things the way others do, but the secret is - you can't, so you need to find work-arounds that do feel more natural to you and help you accomplish the same task. I can't tell you what those things are, as they're different for each individual and sometimes you discover them gradually or by accident. For me, sometimes it helps if I just don't think about it too much and make myself all self-conscious and hyper-aware of my state of mind. On the best of days, I have a hard time initiating a conversation with a stranger unless they ask me a direct question first.

As for those dishes, I attack the task in a two-phase method. One time, when I walk past them in the kitchen, I'll run the hot water and put in the soap, then later, when I come back into that part of the house, I'll wash them during a TV commercial break. But I do it every day, so they don't pile up, because its just harder to get motivated to do them if there are a lot of them. If there are only a few, it not such a big deal. :? On the other hand, I have an email from an old friend that I should have responded to a month ago and I haven't even read it yet. I'm not even sure why, I just can't make myself do it. When the time is right, it'll be easy, but right now, I just can't do it. Its maddening, isn't it? :oops:

Thanks for the reply and thanks for giving insight in how you deal with your autism :)

I am indeed very hard on myself , especially when it comes to the social aspect or being "normal", which is biased anyway because who is to judge what is normal, I also have a huge need for wanting to do everything perfect, and that often gets in the way of accepting things for what they are.

It would help me if I could match the realizations, with the actual feelings that allow me to accept the parts of my life that I struggle with, but of course that does not make the problems any less annoying right now.

I guess when it comes to my mind, I sometimes am not appreciative enough of what I already can do with it, a bit like those girls in that super sweet 16 birthday program on MTV, who get the perfect party and still manage to cause a scene over something, if minds would be those parties then I would be the one crying that the color of the car isn't the right one and it ruined everything :P .

Nevertheless I still like to learn more about others, and how they deal with things, as it adds to my collection of knowledge, and may give ways me to turn frustration into acceptance.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 1:38 am

My only way of coping with things like the dishes is always doing things straight away. It may not be the most efficient, but washing my dish, pan, cutlery etc straight after cooking/eating is the only way I've found that allows me to keep on top of things.

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2013, 3:23 am

Maybe CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) could help you out with that It depends how much your concious thinking effects what you do automatically I suppose.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 4:59 am

Jonov wrote:
What bothers me the most about my autism is that I am fully aware of everything that I do and why I do it and still cannot become active or stop myself, while this is my strong suit when I talk about my autism with professionals it is my Achilles heel in practice.

Right. Sometimes my "insight" is so detached from my volition that I can touch the "disability." So much for the Freudian hocus pocus "cure." It's neuro and it's here to stay. The vending machine accepts only coins, little point inserting gummibears.

EQ: 6.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 5:08 am

Oh, I always thought, that it was a depressive inhibition.

denning
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2013, 1:01 pm

Quote:
I will sit in front of the computer and realize that the dishes are piled up, and I should really take care of them, but I am blocked and cannot start this task, I can stare at the dishes for hours, and even prepare everything I need for it, but I still cannot do them and it rarely happens I can remove the blockade.

I walk past someone on the street, and before I will walk past them I know what kind self reassuring behavior I will perform, but I cannot prevent myself from doing it, and even if I do a countdown in my head, I will still do it at the last second.

I will walk to a place where I meet people for drinks, and I know there will be new people that I haven't met, and I will take myself trough the entire process of what is considered protocol when meeting someone, and what topics I could use to open a conversation, but the moment I enter the bar I will do exactly the same I always do, and that is talking to the people I know and being completely mute towards the other people, until I had my first drink and/or unless they engage me first.

This sounds very familiar to me. Worse still, I recently graduated from law school, but couldn't bring myself to send out one application to law firms. Seven years of post-secondary education, many all-nighters, and shedloads of stress, but I couldn't complete the most simple part of the whole process. It's funny because a) this behaviour has forced me into bankruptcy; b) it's not out of laziness (I've completed non-paid internships at two law firms in the past and put in more hours than just about anyone else at the one office). But the idea of sending out an application was too daunting for me to deal with.

Instead I spend my time on things like compulsively adding information to Excel sheets regarding climate and economic data for various cities, but whatever.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 3:02 pm

My motivation for washing dishes and doing housework is to keep things clean, clutterfree, and orderly, and in designated location and orientation in space, I've been always been obsessed with that.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 3:08 pm

Please, lend me a bit of your obsession.