Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

chipmunk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2007, 11:29 am

What I mean by that is: Can we learn to be comfortable with change? Can we learn to be less anxious about things? Or are we simply wired in a way that makes that difficult, if not impossible?

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) is very successful among NT's. Can that also work for us? If so, do we follow the same protocol they do or are there special considerations that take into account our different wiring?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 6:13 pm

I think that there's a very good chance that we cwn learn to be resiliant.

Letum
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2007, 6:27 pm

Personal opinion aside, most major medical institutions such as the UK's NHS will tell you that AS can not be cured, but it can be treated to the extent that normal functionality can be achieved.

That's why in the UK, AS is a learning disability whilst other forms of autism are disabilities.

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2007, 7:30 pm

AS isn't a learning disability in the UK, the problems accosiated with it are though

Stop talking trash

Letum
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2007, 8:33 pm

solid wrote:
AS isn't a learning disability in the UK, the problems accosiated with it are though

The NHS and benefit services both class it as a disability afsik.....I could be wrong, but that's what I have been told by the authorities.

Freawaru
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2007, 4:34 am

It's a disability now, the law changed last year. Just like if you had a mobility problem or an allergy, employers now have to take it into account and adapt the situations to suit you rather than the other way around.

DanRyder
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jan 2007, 11:39 am

I still get affected by change, but not as much as i used to be. I would say i have learned to be resiliant to an extent.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 6:34 pm

chipmunk wrote:
CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) is very successful among NT's. Can that also work for us? If so, do we follow the same protocol they do or are there special considerations that take into account our different wiring?

Considering that I "failed" CBT for my OCD twice and that my CBT therapist suspected (and then diagnosed) my Asperger's because of this, I'd say that Aspies need CBT to be tweaked for them. The bad thing about CBT is that you have to focus on one specific fear. That's hard to do when us Aspies are scared about anything that is even slightly unfamiliar... :roll:
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 8:54 pm

I don't think most Aspie's are comfortable with change. And comfort for an Aspie is a very exact and narrow concept. But we can come to learn to accept and integrate change into our lives with a little finesse.

It's like learning to be flexible in accepting change. We will always have to bend towards the NT world, not the other way around.

chipmunk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2007, 2:05 pm

Since I posted my question, I have read that CBT can work if it is modified to make it more visual. For example, instead of simply changing thoughts in your head, you would write out the negative thought, then erase it and write out the replacement positive thought. Surprisingly, that was the only specific modification I could find (although I did find quite a bit questioning the effectiveness of CBT for us).

I am glad to read that some of you have had success with learning these things. I used to be much better about change and as I get older, it gets worse. So, maybe for me, it would be more of a re-learning?

OddDuckNash - You hit the nail on the head when you said that we are scared about anything slightly unfamiliar! 8O