Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2013, 11:41 am

One of the people I work with is profoundly autistic and he rarely sits in chairs, always prefers the floor. I remember as a child especially I was the same way, and to this day I often pick the floor over a chair if I'm going to sit down, also I have no issues with sitting on the sidewalk or a train platform while most people will just stand if there's not a bench and look at me like I'm crazy if I sit down. Anyone else?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 11:44 am

I hate chairs. Hate hate hate.

In my disabilities group, I inaugurated the tradition of everybody who is not sitting in a wheelchair to sit on the floor in a bean bag chair. I like it. I think and talk better when I'm not sitting in a chair. Also I think it's cool because it kind of turns things upside down--now it's the people who aren't in wheelchairs who have to look up to talk to others.

I am constantly propping my feet up. I hate to have them dangling, even when they reach the floor. I'll sit on the floor at any opportunity, especially when I'm overloaded. Somehow it helps me think more clearly, be more comfortable.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

30 Jul 2013, 11:52 am

Not really. I find it a tad uncomfortable; I used to do this often in grade school, but it was more forced upon me in those days.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 11:56 am

I like to roll all over the floor.

WhatHazard
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2013, 12:36 pm

Yeah, I also have a thing about being on the floor I don't like chairs much and the floor is comforting, cool and requires less thought about where my legs go.

I remember in 1st grade I used to crawl under the desks in art class and curl up there, or just sit and color, as I grew older I learned that sitting on the floor not acceptable in most places.

Jasper1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jul 2013, 12:41 pm

Not so much that I'm older, I only really did it in private, and haven't lived in a place with comfortable carpet and such since I've been an adult. Can't do it if the flooring isn't comfortable.

When I was a kid, different story. I spent most of my childhood in my bedroom sitting on the floor listening to music and rocking to it. I had to rock. It was almost involuntary. It was my primary activity when I was at home till I pretty much moved out and could no longer have the privacy I needed to sit and enjoy music. Till my early 20's I'd say.

I pretty much sat there and played my favorite music all day everyday. Sun up to sun down. Sometimes had problems with the neighbors over it. My mom put it up with it to an extent, or maybe she just gave up. I was always told by family that it was strange, but I never gave it up, because that's how I preferred to spend my time, and it was just natural to me. I only felt comfortable doing it in complete privacy because I was told and made aware that it was so strange.

I evenly feel really strange talking about it on here, because it's not something I talk about it. At All. It's like my private secret that I keep from everyone.

Also, when sitting to music I also liked to have the TV on. I liked watching the visuals when I was day dreaming and listening. Sometimes if I liked the show, I'd listen to both. My music would be more like the background music to what I was watching.

I do have to say that as an adult I've never enjoyed music as much as I did when I was a kid since I had to break out of that habit for lack of privacy and whatnot.

When I went out by myself I almost always had a walkman or discman. Would often try to sneak earbuds in my ear in class. Sometimes at work too.

I've also developed a hobby around music that I do well at despite having no knowledge of music theory, and having extreme difficulty trying to teach myself theory when I tried. It's too math like and I don't understand the concept of assigning notes to sounds. I don't have perfect pitch. It's all relative pitch to me.

I generally kept all the facts in memory about pertinent information on the liner notes of all my CD's. Everything from dates, to producers, to musicians etc. Even people they thanked and so on.

I'm not really sure what category this behavior would fall under. Not sure if it's more aspie or a different autistic trait. All I know is it was pretty extreme.

Now that I'm in my 30's, I don't have as much of a draw to music. Definitely not into it like I used to be. Don't care to remember useless facts about it. Sometimes don't even keep track of song titles and whatnot. I'm not into anything so deeply and all engrossing anymore.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 12:46 pm

I like sitting on the floor because it's way more comfortable than chairs.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 12:48 pm

Callista wrote:

I am constantly propping my feet up. I hate to have them dangling, even when they reach the floor. I'll sit on the floor at any opportunity, especially when I'm overloaded. Somehow it helps me think more clearly, be more comfortable.

^^^This. (I took out the part that didn't apply to me.) I have legs that are short from the knees down, so even with my office chair all the way down, it's impossible to get comfortable.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 12:50 pm

When I was a kid I liked sitting and laying on the floor but now I prefer the couch or recliner for sitting/laying. As a kid I didn't think about floors being dirty but now I do, so I don't like sitting on the floor for that very reason.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 12:53 pm

I can do either. I am OCD about cleanliness though so I will sit or lay on a floor I know is clean but either way I am comfortable. I have a hard time sitting in a chair too if I think it is dirty. But sometimes I force myself to. I have house clothes too that I change into when I come into the house and I never wear out door shoes inside the house either but that is also a cultural thing. A lot of people in my family do that.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 1:54 pm

I like to set on the floor with my back against the couch.I use the coffee table as a desk.
I likes to sit cross legged on the floor as a kid also.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

30 Jul 2013, 2:24 pm

I prefer the floor most of the time. I also like having something hard to write or draw on sitting in my lap and me working away at something. I do a lot of drawing sitting on the floor. :lol:

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 2:32 pm

yes absolutely hate chairs with a passion,the only one that sit on is this wheelchair.

feel more 'grounded' on the floor and am not at a height with every one else.
also will not sit just anywhere,have got to be sat in the corner and no one behind self.
it feels safer in a corner.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Theuniverseman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jul 2013, 2:38 pm

I absolutely hate sitting on the floor, but I hate chairs also, I do love a big comfy sofa and I have yet to find a computer chair which is actually comfortable but I spend most of my time at home in front of my computer, I feel lost if I'm not plugged into the internet.

Systemizing quotient - 52
Aspie-quiz ? AS: 151 NT: 61

loveturn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2013, 3:00 pm

Yes I do. But not so much on laminate, only on carpets or rugs. I did as a child and I still do. I don't have any rugs in my home so I always sit on the couch, but I always find myself sitting on the rug when I visit my parents. Funny, never thought of that as something autistic.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:14 pm

Callista wrote:

This.
In kindergarden is used to sit under the table and was drawing.
When we had to eat sitting on a chair at the table I was all screaming.
In school I had to sit on a chair, I started to pull my legs up and sit on them, but when teacher saw it I had to put them down and I could concentrate no more, because the feeling it gives in the body is...I cannot stand it.
Now I sit on the floor (usually against a wall) and if I have to sit on a chair, I still pull my legs up, often like in a sort of "meditation-pose".

I read once, that people with retained primitive reflexes (one normally loses around age one) is causing difficulties and discomfort sitting on a chair (but I do not find the resource anymore).

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.