Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 4:00 pm

I am the textbook definition of a morning person. My alarm goes off at 430am whether I work that day or not. When I do not set the alarm, I wake up between 5 and 515. I consider 6am to be sleeping in, and in no situation whatsoever would I ever sleep past 7am. I know people who can sleep til noon, and I could never understand it.

I personally believe sleep is a waste of time. science has not been able to figure out why humans need sleep since our brains continue working while we sleep. If there were a way to remain awake full time without ever being tired, I would never sleep again, I could take on a third job and make that time productive. I have researched ways to train yourself to need less sleep, finding no success, I just push myself. Im down to 7 hours a night, from 9.

I suppose you could call it a "side effect" of being an early riser, I am ready for lunch by 10 am. It really irritates me that most restaurants that serve breakfast do so until 1030 or 11, and those that do lunch and dinner only, generally open at 11 or 12. I can walk into a Dennys 24 hour at 8 in the evening and get pancakes and bacon, but I cant go in at 8am and get a cheeseburger and fries.

I have always been a morning person, allowing myself to sleep until 6, but my resolve to push even earlier has come in the last year or so. My ex girlfriend was a night person, often sleeping until 10 or 11 am, and I decided after we broke up, that I wanted to distance myself from her and her attributes as much as possible. I wake up at 430, hit the gym by 515, then breakfast, then be to work by 7. By the time she wakes up, Ive had two meals and have been at work for four hours. On days off, Im known to take road trips. When I do that, Im on the road by 530.

Is anyone else a morning person? By choice? By biology? By force?

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 4:32 pm

I'm not as intense as you with waking up and accomplishing 5 tasks before 10, but like you, I have never been able to sleep in. I usually wake up between 6:30-7:30. I also crave lunch by 10am, sometimes 9. I also can't understand how people can sleep until 11 or 12. Once my sister woke up at 4:30PM. I actually get annoyed when people waste their days away sleeping.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 4:34 pm

Soccer22 wrote:
I actually get annoyed when people waste their days away sleeping.

me too. At my old job, a co-worker came in at 3pm, having just woken up, and had the audacity to complain that she had to be in at 3. I had been there since 5am.

The last time I slept in was in January of 2006. I had influenza and stayed in bed until 4pm. TO THIS DAY, I am still displeased with myself for staying in bed that late.

My attitude is this: God was gracious enough to give me another day on earth, I am not going to waste it sleeping.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 4:54 pm

I'm a night person. I heard it has to do with when your body temperature peaks.

LoverOfDragons
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2013, 5:59 pm

I'm a morning person! I may not wake up as early as you, but I still am a morning person. I usually wake up at 6. Sometimes I wake up a few minutes before or after.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 6:10 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
I personally believe sleep is a waste of time. science has not been able to figure out why humans need sleep since our brains continue working while we sleep.

I believe we need sleep because the physical world is not our natural state of existence and we need to return for brief periods to the world of pure creative thought in order to retain focus through the lens of the material brain. Kind of like having to surface to take a breath of air when swimming underwater. We don't really belong here, this is where our spirits come to role play. The pure imagination of the dream world is where we really live and the state to which we return when these physical vehicles die.

Snoogans. :wink:

Personally, I'm a night owl. I can't even think of sleeping before at least 2am. Had an ex who went to sleep at dusk and got up at 4 every day, but she grew up on a farm and had OCD.

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2013, 6:18 pm

I'm a morning person.
I've had a number of jobs that have played around with my body clock, some working late into the night, some rising early, some where I have had to manage doing both within the same week.
My natural inclination is to rise early.
My wife gets up at about 4:30AM each weekday for work.
We get up without an alarm, so if we wake up anywhere between 4:15 - 4:45 we just get up; or she gets up, and I stay in bed until she returns from her morning shower.
I can't get up late unless we are both sleeping in, or I am sick, and even then it would be unusual, even on weekends an holidays to get up later than say 7:00AM.
If I am sick or suffering lack of sleep I will nap during the day.
I usually need to get to bed before 9:30PM, otherwise I start going into sleep debt, and you see the cycle go on until I catch up; getting to bed late, not sleeping well, needing a nap, and then finally falling asleep at about 8:00PM on the couch.
I can only resist what my body needs for so long.
If I go out late, or stay up, it usually takes me a week or more to get back to my normal sleeping pattern.
I love sleep, but I struggle to find the right amount to have and balance it against my lifestyle.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 7:44 pm

i love mornings. i wake up at 9:00am. have lunch at 9:30am (unless i have something to cook like gingerbread or pizza)

i have supper at 1:00pm, and get too tired to do anything by 5:00pm

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 8:14 pm

The most important question that you didn't answer is: what time do you go to bed?

I'm totally not a morning person, I hate having to wake up to an alarm with a passion. If I could, I'd sleep until 9 or 10 every day, but unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't function that way, so I have to conform. My mind just doesn't really function well in the morning, whereas at night it can practically do anything! That said though, I probably sleep the exact same amount of time each night as you, the only difference is I prefer to go to bed later and wake up later, as opposed to going to bed earlier and waking up earlier.

Here's a link to a little news article on a study on the subject: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 150621.htm

ash1987
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Aug 2013, 8:22 pm

im anight person always go to bed after 2 am sometimes just on daylight i have never woken up early without an alarm

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 2:24 am

I volunteered to change my working hours and now my alarm goes off at 5:30 each morning so I can get here earlier.

Driving to work early in the morning when the streets are completely deserted and the weather is cool with windows down is probably my favourite moment of each day.

It's just me and no one else. no one to bother me.

Jonov
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2013, 3:05 am

When I wake up I am sure there is a time-zone where it's morning at that point ;) but I guess I am a more of a night person in my own zone.

Kafke
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2013, 5:14 am

I have to say I'm a night person. Though I actually enjoy early morning (like 4-6am) the most. But I get into this horrible cycle of staying up until 4am (it's 3:13am right now) and then sleeping until past noon.

You are very likely an Aspie

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 6:32 am

Chadmaster, Sleep is not a waste of time. It is as important to the body as eating well and being active. The body can only perform certain vital functions when you sleep. Part to the processing of foods and elimination process only happens during sleep. Vital cellular rebuilding also happens during sleep. There is a huge amount of evidence on this. You may not realize how important sleep is just like people who eat junk food all the time can function without realizing what that is actually doing to their bodies. But eating junk food all the time is very destructive. People go a long time not knowing how bad it is until it catches up to them later. Lack of sleep is extremely damaging even though you may not notice it now.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 6:35 am

Jonov wrote:
When I wake up I am sure there is a time-zone where it's morning at that point ;) but I guess I am a more of a night person in my own zone.
Love that! It's 5 o'clock somewhere,same goes for happy hour! :)

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 6:50 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
The most important question that you didn't answer is: what time do you go to bed?

Usually between 9 and 930 pm.

Biscuitman wrote:
Driving to work early in the morning when the streets are completely deserted and the weather is cool with windows down is probably my favourite moment of each day.

It's just me and no one else. no one to bother me.

That is the best time of day isnt it? That is what I love about mornings, most everyone is still asleep, dead to the world, but Im alive and living it.