Page 13 of 17 [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 9:19 pm

For an explanation of terms:

Implicit means it affects your actions without your being consciously aware of it. It informs your actions and beliefs; it is the unspeakable arbiter of your decisions.

Racial bias means you tend to unjustly favor one or more racial groups over others.

Studying implicit racial bias helps us become more aware of it and counteract it with conscious action.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 9:48 pm

Now, let us move to implicit neurotypical bias, the implicit favoring of neurotypical people over autistic people.

I am sure you all are aware of that feeling of contempt that many have when they come across an autistic person flapping their arms, not making eye contact, having a strange way of speaking, etc. (To be honest, I harbored the same sense of disgust, so much that I wanted to stamp out all visible signs of my autism when I was a teenager.) In many cases, even if the neurotypical person were aware of that feeling, and tried to ignore it, it would still factor into their decisions about the autistic person, if only to satiate the feeling, to appease it.

This is the kind of thing that informs implicit neurotypical bias (and many autistics have it, too). We need to make neurotypical people aware of it, we need to increase acceptance of autistic behaviors in the general public, and we need people to consciously counteract their biases against autistic people.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 9:53 pm

littlebee,

It is possible to shut down conversations through deflection and techniques like the fallacy of relative privation; if the participants are not careful enough, that can cause the main point of the conversation to go by the wayside. By engaging in such tactics, you may very well be preventing people from discussing the topic.

Personally, I watch for such tactics like a guard dog; perhaps I'm a little overcautious, but I tend to jump on anything that looks like that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 10:00 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I honestly don't think I am racist...I do not find my race 'superior' to others in any way shape or form and even at a young age had intrest in different cultures and such. But I cannot classify myself as 'white' necessarily as my grandmother on my dads side is Native American which make me part native American. And I have kind of a hard time believing that most people are racist, I haven't really seen it.

My mother is one of the most racist people I know, and she's 1/4th Native American (specifically one of the tribes in the Blackfoot Confederacy). That really doesn't prevent anyone from being racist.

Most people don't understand the point I was trying to make when I said all white people are racist. I'm definitely not saying everyone is a potential member of Stormfront or the KKK. Just that people are taught to carry implicit racist bias. Like white people who would never explicitly claim that people of color are inferior still carry racist attitudes and may not even realize those attitudes are racist.

Also, I am white. Just in case anyone forgot.

Of course being part native doesn't make one immune to racism, just seemed the discussion was mostly about white racism, so figured I'd include that detail. Also I know what is meant, and I honestly don't feel I have such attitudes I've been exposed to such attitudes only to reject them.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 10:14 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Max's belief in inherent differences between races is racist.

No that is not racist. It's called biology.

Again, by definition to be racist, you have to believe that one race is superior to another. I don't believe that.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 10:26 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I honestly don't think I am racist...I do not find my race 'superior' to others in any way shape or form and even at a young age had intrest in different cultures and such. But I cannot classify myself as 'white' necessarily as my grandmother on my dads side is Native American which make me part native American. And I have kind of a hard time believing that most people are racist, I haven't really seen it.

My mother is one of the most racist people I know, and she's 1/4th Native American (specifically one of the tribes in the Blackfoot Confederacy). That really doesn't prevent anyone from being racist.

Most people don't understand the point I was trying to make when I said all white people are racist. I'm definitely not saying everyone is a potential member of Stormfront or the KKK. Just that people are taught to carry implicit racist bias. Like white people who would never explicitly claim that people of color are inferior still carry racist attitudes and may not even realize those attitudes are racist.

Of course being part native doesn't make one immune to racism, just seemed the discussion was mostly about white racism, so figured I'd include that detail. Also I know what is meant, and I honestly don't feel I have such attitudes I've been exposed to such attitudes only to reject them.

As most decent people do reject it.

Seriously, to those who say that all people are racist. If you think that all people are racist, then you need to get out of the environment that you are in. Because you are obviously surrounded by only very negative people. Not everyone is like that.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 10:48 pm

I think people need to realize that the racial aspect of this discussion has been about implicit racial bias, not KKK-style overt racism.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 12:16 am

Max000 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

As most decent people do reject it.

Seriously, to those who say that all people are racist. If you think that all people are racist, then you need to get out of the environment that you are in. Because you are obviously surrounded by only very negative people. Not everyone is like that.

Racism certainly wouldn't get someone very far around Denver for instance....there are a lot of different races so any racist remark is bound to piss off someone. Once I was on a bus and someone just started trying to start crap with this guy(not over race, but something just as stupid as racism) and everyone on the bus started yelling at the crap starter to get off the damn bus.

And once their was a black dude around a bus stop yelling at all the 'crackers' and saying all white people where scum seemed pretty racist....and lots of people of varying races told him to knock it off as no one wants to hear that kind of garbage.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 16 Feb 2014, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 12:21 am

beneficii wrote:
I think people need to realize that the racial aspect of this discussion has been about implicit racial bias, not KKK-style overt racism.

Alright well what is the solution for this implicit racial bias then.... and how does one determine if they have this, if its something one cannot be consciously aware of? I can't say racist attitudes don't exist and that no one ever picks up on it unintentionally. But I think claiming the vast majority of people have an implicit racial bias does more harm than good as it kind of says 'everyones racist in a sense and no one can do anything about it because its not something people are consciously aware of.' When I think many people would like to get rid of remaining racism and racial bias.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 12:37 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
beneficii wrote:

Alright well what is the solution for this implicit racial bias then.... and how does one determine if they have this, if its something one cannot be consciously aware of? I can't say racist attitudes don't exist and that no one ever picks up on it unintentionally. But I think claiming the vast majority of people have an implicit racial bias does more harm than good as it kind of says 'everyones racist in a sense and no one can do anything about it because its not something people are consciously aware of.' When I think many people would like to get rid of remaining racism and racial bias.

1.) There is plenty of evidence for its existence, largely through the way it has manifested itself in society, through our actions and attitudes:

http://kirwaninstitute.osu.edu/docs/SOT ... t_Bias.pdf

2.) You can go here to find out if you have it:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

3.) Awareness of and admitting you (WE!) have a problem is the first step toward fixing it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 1:25 am

beneficii wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
beneficii wrote:

1.) There is plenty of evidence for its existence, largely through the way it has manifested itself in society, through our actions and attitudes:

http://kirwaninstitute.osu.edu/docs/SOT ... t_Bias.pdf

2.) You can go here to find out if you have it:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

3.) Awareness of and admitting you (WE!) have a problem is the first step toward fixing it.

That's all stuff I learned about in my psychology class...though the instructors conclusion certainly was not 'the vast majority of people are racist, just that racist attitudes still exist and some people give into the bias of racial stereotypes and such and is still an issue that needs addressing. I'll take a look at this test pretty sure its the one I heard about in that psych class....but likewise if one is led to believe they have a 'problem' where they really do not trying to fix it probably does more harm than good.

But yeah I read the first link and I can't say I associate specific stereotypes with specific races...claiming 'Asians are good at math' makes about as much sense as 'aspies are good at math.' Also I am uncomfortable around people I don't know and at times even people I do know its the same regardless of perceived race. It even irritates me when people talk about elvis like some blues god when he mostly just ripped off African American blues artists because his producers or whatever thought they could make more on the music if they had someone white sing it. Not only is that racist but its an atrocity against music, since covers and such are supposed to be done out of respect for the band who created the song in the first place.

I finally got through that test and got the following result:
'Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between African American and European American.'

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 3:24 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:
The following was posed above:
"The poor" have social advantages over non-poor, namely "freedom" from a lot of things, and that is a social advantage to be able to move around the country unlike people tied to their material possessions such as a house or even a job. Like the Janis Joplin song, "Freedom is when you have nothing left to lose".

I have a friend who owns a private jet. Now, let me tell you, that is a man with freedom to move around the country!

Yes, however, then he has the disadvantage of paying for it, maintaining it, and worrying about it. Possibly, he is even tied to that jet if he cannot sell it.

A person with no jet does not have any of these disadvantages.

How cruel of society to force this private jet onto this person....so now they have to pay for it, maintain it and worry about it....Oh my god this person has it so much worse than the very poor and homeless.

:roll:

1. I think all religious people who takes vows of poverty would laugh at your apparent sarcasm that money buys happiness.

2. Further, the definition of "privilege group" presented has nothing to do with subjective beliefs. It is a defined term, not what one feels is better or worse for a group.

3. It only requires a single "value" to be bestowed to a group.

4. There are many benefits to being poor. I cited "freedom" from material items.

I did not claim money buys happiness, however having access to resources and things you enjoy can certainly contribute to wellbeing. Also religious people who take vows of poverty are 'choosing' that lifestyle....and don't they usually still have housing, clothing and food funded by their respective religious group or do such people live on the streets?

Not sure what you mean by subjective beliefs....I did not redefine the term privilege group, only pointed out its a bit ridiculous to claim someone with enough money to have a jet has it so much harder then someone who is very poor and is lucky to have enough to eat.

I don't get # 3

And could you list the benefits of being poor? The freedom from material items is not very realistic, also not all of the poor are without possessions, there are poor working people who have families they have to feed and attempt to provide for so no they do not have freedom from material things. Homeless people who maybe have a back pack with all they can carry....do not have freedom from material things they are in a position where they hardly have the means to survive, if they are so free from needing things why do you see them digging in the garbage for scraps of food someone might have thrown out. So yes I am quite curious as to what all the other 'benefits' of being poor are.

My last response on this thread ...

1. SweetLeaf, I never argued all the things you say, and I have no interest in the beliefs being discussed. I merely found the concept of "privilege group" appearing to be dishonest, since it is clear:
a. everyone has some privilege
b. the privilege groups propose say that a disabled, poor, elderly white female has "white privilege" over a healthy, well-to-do, young minority male

That shows how the grouping is based on absolutes, and not based on genuine advantage a person has - thus, exposing the flaw of the groupings - and since it is based on absolutes, then as I originally stated, "We can make any privilege group by focusing only the positive advantages, and ignoring the negatives".

2. I cited the arbitrary group of the "the poor". "The poor" have some benefits:
a. less wealth to worry about by definition
b. in the U.S., "the poor" include more than half of Americans don't pay federal taxes, (counting the 47% filers that don't + non-filers).

3. Thus, "the poor" are a privilege class per the definition stated in this thread. Because I have shown:
a. Advantages for this group not given to those outside the group
b. It is a dominant group
c. They did nothing to earn this advantage

4. But hey, something is wrong? Yes, the fundamental problem is the flawed grouping that assumes advantage exists in absolutes. That assumption allows groupings such that "people who have to eat out of garbage cans" to still be identified as "privileged".

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 4:06 am

beneficii wrote:
Anyway, on the issue of internalized ableism, I am reminded of the case of Rie Sasamori (nee Henmi), a Japanese woman with ADHD and Asperger syndrome who went undiagnosed for 32 years. She was early in writing hiragana and Chinese characters, but spoke unclearly, pronouncing for example kuruma (car) as kununa or nezumi (mouse/rat) as nenuni, which pronunciation tendency became known as Rei-chan-go (Rie-chan language), but she eventually got over that. In youchien (essentially Japanese kindergarten), she isolated herself from the other students in the room; on a class outing to pick out vegetables, she refused to step onto the mud, having problems with ground that was not stable. While shopping with her mother, she would suddenly disappear, to be found playing something of interest.

In elementary school, she did really well in the classes that she was good at and interested in, like Chinese characters class. She was very enthusiastic in class and when the teacher called on the class, she raised her hand, and said the word hai over and over against repeatedly for at least 10 times, causing the rest of the class to look upon her in wonder. She artfully discriminated homophones. In classes she wasn't interested in, however, particularly classes where she had to just listen, she would not pay attention, and would either look out the window or, when she was sitting by the hall to move her away from the window, the notes of another class (because she had difficulty discriminating between different sounds). She would suddenly talk to a classmate about a favorite interest, like stegosauruses, but her teacher would scold her for it; she would do other things like leaning back and forth on her desk until she fell over.

She was poor at math (and possibly had dyscalculia), and during math class she would read the material of another class, like geography. When her teacher got on her about that, she, in little professor style, would explain how the lakes of Japan have changed in size over the years, leaving her teacher dumbfounded. She did not know how to clean her room, and often did not realize it was even a mess; she also had the autoimmune disease alopecia areata, which caused bald spots in her hair. She was very forgetful, and her mother would often have to bring her stuff in, but her mother and father changed their tone and became much more strict. She had difficulty keeping up with her stuff, so she tried doing things like stuffing her randoseru (Japanese elementary school students' leather backpack) and then just cramming everything in her desk, which she would subsequently forget. One morning, her teacher had inspected her students' desks and emptied out the contents of the messy desks and put them on the top of the desks; she then called out the students who had messy desks. Rie was the only girl who had a messy desk, which included even moldy bread, highly stigmatizing for a girl in Japan.

Like other children with ADHD, she was bursting with energy and in class often had the urge to simply get up and move about. Unlike other children with ADHD, though, she would immediately comply with direct orders given her. Whenever she got up, her teacher would tell her in no uncertain terms to sit immediately back down, which she did--she still burst with energy, however. The reason was she had yet another developmental disorder, which became apparent in a party in which the kids would each bring a present and start passing it around in a circle, until the teacher said stop, which meant that the present you had in your hands when stop was called was yours. (This game is very popular among Japanese children.) She received a girlish drawing book, which had been made by another girl in the class whose name was in the book, but she did not want it. Now, the teacher gave the students the opportunity to say they did not want the present, but the unspoken assumption behind that statement was for boys who received a girl's toy or girls who received a boy's toy to trade for the sex role-appropriate toy. Rie, oblivious to that unspoken assumption, simply raised her hand saying she didn't want it, shocking the class. The girl who created the book then cried, and another girl called Rie out for being mean, but Rie could not figure out what the problem was. This was her Asperger syndrome manifested.

With her Asperger syndrome, she had various sensory sensitivities as well as motor deficits. She would eat one food at a time (never thought this was abnormal until recently), which her dad chewed her out for. She would sneak a particular type of food whose taste she would seek. She could not stand to come into contact with water, or to hear it running. Her mother in the morning would ask if she washed her face, Rie would lie saying she did, but then her mother would catch her in the lie with evidence of food around her mouth, forcing her to wash her face. She had trouble with buttons and would often mismatch them when buttoning up her shirt. She had difficulty discriminating left and right and which shoe to put on. She had trouble fitting her name in the space for her name on tests, and she had difficulty using rulers and compasses and any task that would require her hands to be doing different things simultaneously (like cutting a piece of paper), which was very frustrating for her. Here, she acquired the nickname Hen-chan (literally, "strange-chan"), a play on her last name Henmi and the fact that her peers thought she was very strange.

In middle school, many of her problems continued. She could not clean her room, and would get distracted if she tried. When Rie's grandmother said a relative was staying with her, Rie wanted to meet with that relative, so out of the blue without telling anyone she took the 2+ hour train ride from her hometown of Kobe to Takamatsu where her grandmother lived. Her motor and organizational deficits continued, as her school painting supplies were such a mess, highly stigmatizing for a Japanese girl. She would read very advanced books on her favorite subjects, and other girls, still calling her Hen-chan, would ask her what she was reading and why she was reading it. Rie went into little professor mode, discussing the pancreas, specifically the Langerhans cells which produced insulin to control blood sugar, explaining that she found the way the human body was put together fascinating. Her special interests included human anatomy, fossils, dinosaurs, and history, all very unusual for a girl in middle school. In high school, she was at the top of her class in English and moved on to college where she graduated also. She chose a college close to home, however, to minimize the time she had to spend in the noisy train station.

She tried getting a job in her topic, but it was a struggle for her. She met with a potential employer in a cafe, but she kept being distracted by everything else going on in the cafe. She could not enter the workforce. She did like the sound of motorcycles, however, and that's how she met her husband-to-be. One time, at a motorcycle shop, the employee told them to wait while he checked if an item was in stock; her boyfriend would move around looking at different items, but she would stay rooted to the spot, telling her boyfriend that he shouldn't move from the spot while they were waiting. Either way, they would get married and move to Tokyo in an apartment together. He would work and she would assume the role of housewife, but her inability to clean became a problem. As she unpacked the boxes, she created a huge mess, which was stressful for her husband. Her husband would eventually direct her cleaning. Even with the issues, they still enjoyed time together.

One night, her husband told her to check on the bathtub he was filling up and come back and say how it was. She came back and said it was full. He then asked if she had stopped it, to which she answered in the negative. He had never told her to stop it if it was full. The couple would go on to have 3 sons, and problems would start when the eldest son Kuon started to exhibit signs of the issues Rie had dealt with. By age 3, Kuon could not say his own name and was delayed in talking, but Rie's husband assured her that he was slow speaking, too, and that Kuon would end up catching up. Later, in youchien Kuon, just like hsi mother Rie at his age, would stay apart from the group, lost in his own world. He had trouble with motor skills, and could not do origami. Rie was very troubled by this development and would talk to her mother and some of the other women about it. Her mother said she had been slow in speech, too, and that she needed to be especially strict with Kuon. The other women Rie spoke with agreed, saying if the husband was going to be a softy, she needed to properly scold her child for his failings.

She took those statements to heart, becoming a tyrannical mother, to the point where Kuon was afraid of her. Kuon continued to struggle with motor skills, and her mother was right there, yelling at him over and over again until he would get the motor skills right. Rie's husband warned her about this, saying she need to believe in their children, but the statement simply confused Rie. Rie then tried working at a retirement home, but she was quickly overwhelmed. She often could remember only the first instruction given, when told she needed to move to the next instruction she immediately stopped what she was doing (which involved the risk of an old man falling off his ball), and she struggled to act according to the situation (rinki-ouhen). Rie's supervisor chewed her out, saying as none of her tasks were completed despite not being difficult, she could not pay Rie. Rie then became depressed and went to a neurologist for help, but was diagnosed only with depression.

While out and about, she came across a book titled Women who cannot clean, which she expected to make fun of women like her, but instead she found that it captured her experiences perfectly. She brought all her old records to a doctor who diagnosed her with ADHD and Asperger syndrome. The doctor wondered how, with these developmental disorders being so bad, she could have been missed for 32 years. She then brought Kuon in to be tested, and he was diagnosed with high-functioning autism. The doctor assured Rie, saying she should not blame herself and her son for these issues.

There was a major change in Rie's attitude and she worked closely with her son Kuon to help him succeed, probably understanding him better than anyone else. She began to seek support and accommodation, rather than the super-strict disciplinarian model which resulted in little other than misery for her and her son. 8 years after diagnosis, both she and her son were doing quite well.

This is the kinda ableism which I think is poisonous, that you need to be extra super duper hard on yourself, you need to tear into yourself, you need to think of yourself as crud until you can act just like a neurotypical person could: the further from a neurotypical person you are the more abominable you are, goes the belief. Part of overcoming internalized ableism is to finally explore not only your impairments, but how these impairments could be better accommodated so you can succeed and to advocate for them and to make sure to discuss and debate these issues.

EDIT: BTW, the source for this was a documentary on Nihon Television.

This reminds me of the steps I started taking in the past few months to become more independent and self-accepting. For the longest time, I thought that i wouldn't be able to function in society unless I "fixed" myself and seeked treatment for my obsessive tendencies, anxiety, and depression. When I finally realized how much of a negative influence my current living situation at the time had had on me, and that I would be much more capable in a different environment (which happens to be where I am now), that's when I made the decision to move out of my father's/stepmother's basement. It's the best damn thing I've done in my life, and I really wish I would have done this sooner. I'm not perfect, and I still have issues, but I'm doing more with my life now than I was before, and for that I feel good.

krankes_hirn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2014, 4:55 am

I don't think NT people are privileged, and I don't like to see as in an unfair situation.

I didn't know AS existed until I was well into my college education. When I saw the list of "symptoms" (I don't know If they should be called like that") I fitted in them. For the first time I understood that there was an explanation for all my quirks. I then started trying to get myself formally diagnosed. I started talking to an old friend who was majoring at psychology. She did some research and said I actually seemed like a case of Asperger's Syndrome and told me she could see if she knew someone who could get me tested. She was very busy at the time and had a hard time following up on that. At first I was eager to see if I had AS, since it would explain all my quirks as a formally defined disorder; then after I thought about it, I realized there was no point in getting a formal diagnosis from a professional.

At that time I was already 20 years old. I was trying to get a degree in physics and I realized that having a diagnosis would not be helpful at all. I spent two decades working hard, learning to function, learning to compensate for my weaknesses. I had developed systems to live my daily life and some of them were so deeply ingrained in my head that they became inconscious habits. And yeah, I'm still quirky, I'm still a weirdo, I have a very hard time socializing. But I managed to get that far all by myself. A diagnosis would make no difference.

I've never seen myself as disabled. I've never thought that I was at a disadvantage compared to NTs. And I am happy things were not easier for me.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 1:31 pm

my comments in bold

beneficii wrote:
littlebee
Quote:
I love the blog, actually, as it can be used as a learning tool. Personally I think people in power or with more power than someone else (such as parents having more power than their children) who are thinking wrongly and have many distortions mixed in with some good ideas (which is pretty common to all people, whatever race or sex or economic status) tend to trivialize and discount the experience of other people if they can get away with it, and this adds to their own story and buffers up the lying in it, and people in positions of power are more able to get away with doing this to their own perceived advantage, and yes, it does increase their own power, plus they are often more educated and have more sophisticated intellectual tools to lie, but poor people do it, too. They can be heck a liars. Much more to follow.

This is just deflection.

It is to you because you don't understand what I am saying. To me this whole conversation about racism is a deflection, as someone else suggested, but obviously you and some others don't see that, and imo it would be a waste of time to try to explain to you. Some will be able see it, though, those who tend to already see it. As I said, there is this saying, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer." There is this slant of bias which enhances that bias.

I'd have to say people in power lying tend to do a lot more damage than a poor person doing it.

Generally speaking agreed, but I am speaking about the dynamixs of human brain function, and you are speaking about something else, something outside of you, as if this will solve the problem of an autistic person who is suffering.

Why we need to say that, Oh yeah, poor people lie, too, sounds like nothing more than deflection.

Beneficii, I'm not trying to upset you,. but this is the kind of comment, the way it is worded, that gives me a disconnect and why I cannot dialog with you past a certain point. First of all, WE did not say that. I said it. Secondly. it seems to me you are not really asking why but just putting that in there for some weird cosmetic purpose and skipping the why of it completely. Obviously I do need to say that in order to make a point, which it seems you cannot understand and are not really trying to. I had to put it in at the end about poor people or the material would have deflected. What I am writing is not about poor people or rich people. It is about all people. Lying is universal, and when people are trying to sort things out they will use any kind of intellectual device not to do that. If some people want to spend, or I should say, waste their lives blaming their own wrong thinking on other people's wrong thinking, then that is a double error. That is demonic as it inbreeds more and more error. This is in no way to suggest that other people are also not doing wrong thinking, but it will not solve the problem to just point at them. Just won't

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 7:02 pm

Can someone post a short summary of neurotypical privilege and its relation to autism?

I can't understand this topic through the stuff about black people and poor people in this thread.