Page 4 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 2:36 pm

I remember being fascinated by the alimentary products of various other nations' peoples.

aspieZim
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2014, 5:37 pm

I don't remember much of my childhood, I had 'normal interests for the most part but I just wasn't like any other child.
I always had a fascination with what my parents considered dangerous things.
violence (when i was 5)
guns (when i was 6)
fire (when i was 10)
bombs (when i was 11)
killing things (when i was 13)
I think i've always been a little psychopath. my aspergers and autism kept me in line from doing anything really bad so it went mostly unnoticed. only recently i've became aware of it, I just assumed i had an anger issue. But i'm not a real psycho since socially I don't fit the profile.

I had normal interests too-
reading books, particularly fantasies and comic books
Invader Zim, and i still love it. fanatic by now.
I liked architecture, i liked to design things, I had alot of interest in my dad's job- civil engineering. my parents were so shocked when they realized i could draw in 3d at 3 years old.
I was very interested in roadway and transportation design. in some ways i'm a road geek.
i loved crafting things, it was first legos then later models. i still love making stuff.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 5:38 pm

Vacuum cleaners, really got teased for that. :(

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2014, 6:44 pm

I can't recall the first intense, restricted interest that I exhibited. But I'm generally familiar with my early childhood interests. For example, some of the first films that I watched were the classic Disney feature-lengthed animated films like Bambi, The Fox and the Hound and Lady and the Tramp. I was fascinated by these films within my preschool years. I then went on to becoming obsessed with insects after watching Pixar's A Bug's Life, which I think is pretty strange for a kid. I also remember being obsessed with specific foods at that age.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 6:56 pm

I think mine was dogs. I was obsessed with learning everything about them as a kid. I loved Doberman Pinschers especially.

Wreck It Ralph

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 6:58 pm

facial hair and ducktails. I drew pictures endlessly of people's heads with various types/combinations of sideburns/moustache/beard/hair.

jly88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2014, 9:35 pm

For some reason as a young kid (around 3 or 4) I had a huge obsession with Roger Rabbit, to the point where I had every single line in the movie memorized word-for-word. Watched it again for the first time in years not too long ago and found that I STILL knew some of the lines. I always thought I was kind of a weirdo for being so obsessed with a single movie, but it seems like I'm in pretty good company here :)

As far as intellectual interests go, the first one that I really remember having was maps and geography. My grandma had bought me this giant atlas book with all the continents in it and I would study that thing over and over again without it ever getting old- I think by the time I was 7 or 8 I had all the countries in Europe memorized (for some reason I was particularly into Europe, maybe because of my strong familial ties there). Later on she bought me a geographical encyclopedia describing all the countries of the world and their cultures, climates, etc, which I still have sitting on my bookshelf to this day. I've formed such a strong attachment to it that I'd be surprised if I ever got rid of it....

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2014, 11:01 pm

Frogs. Oh my god frogs. Like my parents were weirded out by how much I freaking loved frogs. Everything had to be frogs.

Soon later I gained obsessions for Jimi Hendrix and Birds. Those two (especially birds) still are with me today. I still like frogs but I wouldn't say I obsess over them like I like birds.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2014, 1:53 am

Earliest? Hrmmm.

Survival (home life was really bad)

Reading.

Nature (I was one of those wandering types, police brought me home lots)

Space Shuttle and Space (Go Go Gadget 80's)

Spinning

Rocking

:roll:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 2:04 am

organs, the home musical kind with all the multicolored stop tabs and different manuals and pedals and leslie speaker and such, I loved the way they looked and sounded and it was so much fun flipping all those stop tabs, they made a neat "FLUP!" sound when you flipped 'em on or off. I liked to step on the pedalboard to heard that deep low C bass note issue forth from the speakers. my late parents told me when I was a little kid whenever they took me to a department store back in the day [when home organs were common and everyplace sold them] I would make a beeline for where the organs were.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2014, 12:15 am

auntblabby wrote:
organs, the home musical kind with all the multicolored stop tabs and different manuals and pedals and leslie speaker and such, I loved the way they looked and sounded and it was so much fun flipping all those stop tabs, they made a neat "FLUP!" sound when you flipped 'em on or off. I liked to step on the pedalboard to heard that deep low C bass note issue forth from the speakers. my late parents told me when I was a little kid whenever they took me to a department store back in the day [when home organs were common and everyplace sold them] I would make a beeline for where the organs were.

I learned to play a double keyboard organ with a leslie speaker when I was a kid.. that lasted 6 months.. till the night I forgot to turn off the leslie after I was done playing.

Turns out the noisey wiring in the organ we had allowed crosstalk from the truckers booted CB radios to come through the leslie speaker (we lived right by an overpass)... My mother being half jehovahs witness and half pill popping drunk whore... stumbled out of bed that night to hear truckers talking about hookers and nasty trucker things.... with the "wah-wah-wah-wah" of the leslie spinning around and the load of pills and booze she had on board....

Lets just say that organ ended up on the front porch because "demons" and many "satan get behind me in the name of jehovah"'s... my budding career as an organist came to an abrupt end.

The organ was sold a week later....

*EDIT*

I just notice my forum title has change to toucan, so there is that.....

Last edited by MarthaCannary on 02 Feb 2014, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:17 am

MarthaCannary wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I learned to play a double keyboard organ with a leslie speaker when I was a kid.. that lasted 6 months.. till the night I forgot to turn off the leslie after I was done playing.
Turns out the noisey wiring in the organ we had allowed crosstalk from the truckers booted CB radios to come through the leslie speaker (we lived right by an overpass)... My mother being half jehovahs witness and half pill popping drunk whore... stumbled out of bed that night to hear truckers talking about hookers and nasty trucker things.... with the "wah-wah-wah-wah" of the leslie spinning around and the load of pills and booze she had on board....Lets just say that organ ended up on the front porch because "demons" and many "satan get behind me in the name of jehovah"'s... my budding career as an organist came to an abrupt end. The organ was sold a week later....

I was learning how to play the piano when my parents needed some money so they sold it. then then realized their mistake but it was too late, my musical career was stunted permanently. you see, there is in most people a narrow window of time when they can learn music fluently [just like languages]. that is a shame about how you were cut off from musical success by your parent.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2014, 12:26 am

Sure it is a shame! I could be touring right now...

/SARCASM

I was more ticked about loosing a kewl noise maker. It made some mad noise.

I taught myself guitar two years ago. Spanish guitar strumming intrigued me so I bought an electric guitar and amp (poor choice I know) and taught myself how to play tabs.

That lasted 6 months.

Life gets in the way all the time when you are an adult.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 11:22 am

MarthaCannary wrote:

Turns out the noisey wiring in the organ we had allowed crosstalk from the truckers booted CB radios to come through the leslie speaker (we lived right by an overpass)...

I had a stereo system that had that same issue. I was probably about 11 at the time and heard everything from dirty talk to threats against someone and even a drug deal. I liked to spy on the random happenings in the neighborhood XD

Back to the topic at hand: CATS. From the time I could crawl, all I ever thought about was cats. I am obsessed with heavy weapons, sci-fi, Industrial/Elektro/EBM and Goth music/subculture, BMX (I am well aware I am much too old for it) and anything mechanical, but cats have been the oldest and most persistent (I even have 14 well cared for (read "spoiled") cats and more than a healthy amount (at least for a guy) of cat paraphernalia). :cat:

Ausome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Feb 2014, 11:54 am

Worms

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 3:00 pm

My earliest special interest that I can remember was stuff like designing "inventions".

When I was approx. 6 I remember drawing the plans for a craft that could fly by overcoming gravity.
Having a robot dog was also high on my agenda at that age.
My Dad always told me that he'd make me a robot dog, but of course he never did.

I remember when I must have been about 6 getting a bowl and filling it with slugs & worms. I then mashed the 2 together, put a T-towel over the top & concluded that by the next day the two would join together. Of course they didn't, and they were dead.
But I tried, and I was only 6.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.