Page 5 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 3:32 pm

Mine was always musical instruments. When I was a toddler I would just stare at musicians in awe, and thought they were magical. I started playing piano at age 3, and oboe at 10, and was performing professionally by age 14. I felt inexplicably and obsessively drawn to it, from my earliest memories.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 3:46 pm

It may sound like the stereotype, but trains were among my first obsessions. This also extended to ferry boats - living in Wellington, NZ they had large rail and road capable RO-RO ships that crossed the Cook Strait and I was amazed at how you could drive your car on board, get off at the other end and drive all the way to Grandma's house. Tunnels were another of my special interests at that age, and that was probably sparked by riding a train through a tunnel

As a previous poster also mentioned, I did have an early fascination with toilets - what's not to like about them? Take care of business, pull the handle, and watch the magic happen! It may be related to it being something that I could do all on my own at a very young age without help from others.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 4:22 pm

My mother once told me that as a toddler, I was fascinated by road signs, especially the ones that tell you the distance to certain towns. Apparently, I could read them aloud by age 2.

Later on, say around age 7, it was maps. I would study maps for hours at a time. Always had the Mercator projection on my bedroom wall, until I was about 14.

Probably why I always aced geography in school. I also have a great sense of direction, but I think that's an inherited trait from my father. My mom, who was HFA, couldn't find her way around our home town unless she had the route memorized, and it became one of her routines. Even if there was a shorter or faster way to get to her destination, she would never take it.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Chazzer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2014, 5:46 pm

Toy story 2 and Pixar in General. My family and I know a lot of autistic younger children and a fair few have an interest in Pixar.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 6:04 pm

when I was in elementary school I was fascinated with motor vehicles with loud exhausts, and also interest in a kind of faux-"exhaust" in terms of making faux-flatulence noises with my hands on my mouth. :alien:

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 9:18 pm

Atari 2600, ping pong. gaming was born and chosen.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 12:44 am

Earliest ones I can think of... PMD2, My Little Pony...

I was also obsessed with Lilo & Stitch through most of elementary school, and little bit onwards after that...

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 1:16 am

FluttercordAspie93 wrote:
Earliest ones I can think of... PMD2, My Little Pony...

I was also obsessed with Lilo & Stitch through most of elementary school, and little bit onwards after that...

I love Lilo and stitch when I was little I used to wake up at 5 o'clock or 530 in the morning to watch Lilo and stitch and then Winnie the Pooh before we go to school or camp every single morning.

My other early of special interests were blues clues,Barney ,Annie, care bears.

As for intellect I was into reading (well when I was a little looking at the pictures are being read to) or anything having to do with health or doctors or orphanages.

Twinny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2014, 2:49 am

there were no comic or movie characteers when I was a kid to be specially interested in, but I went for WORDS. I would use a new word over and over and over. Real classy words like "einigermaßen" (I'm German and there is nothing like that in English, believe me ;-). Oh, well, maybe "approximately" ). Later, at primary school, I would write stories which consisted mostly of phrases I had heard or read and found fascinating. And I went for dogs and horses - in theory. I was mostly afraid of them in reality, but I still know breeds most people have never heard of.