Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dubious1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2013, 9:12 am

Be there a social event with people beyond my capacity and knowlege I dont need to drink but I crave it.

Even down to the internet. Booze/lightly/verging on heavy if all goes well, on my own meand more social activity vs data crunching/reading/a bit of satire and scrolling.

Is this a normal pattern?

Booze is my new fuel to reach the other side.

Surely some of you gotta do something similar. Im fresh - 1 out of 35 years. Descovering this place was like being reborn.

I do know booze is escapism but still wanna here the reasons.

Cheers

turtleoverhare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2013, 9:23 am

I do ( occasionally rarely now ), I used to full time but now I care more about my health. When I am drunk people love me .

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

06 Aug 2013, 10:07 am

During my adolescence I really drank to get drunk.
Nowadays I just occasionally drink a beer or 2 just for the taste.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 10:28 am

I can't understand why people would want to drink something that smells so awful.

But I guess you like what you like... just don't overdo it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 10:48 am

i drink crystal light iced tea so i do not get dehydrated. i used to drink soda but the caffeine was making my heart beat funny.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 10:54 am

I don't really like to get drunk but I do enjoy the occasional glass of wine and I like cider too. I usually like to drink pop though because I like the fizzy fealing on the back of my throat.

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2013, 11:22 am

I don't drink anymore because I developed a problem with it. But when I did, it was often because I felt so uncomfortable and awkward and like I couldn't relate to people, and being drunk made me feel "regular." Even if I still acted like my weird autistic self and just didn't know it because I was drunk.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2013, 11:58 am

I drink for a few reasons. Like others, I feel more like other people when I'm drinking...I'm not as socially distant. Also, it gets my brain to shut off so that I don't constantly have a thousand thoughts zapping through my brain. Plus, I like the taste of beer and wine.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 12:23 pm

I really feel like I'm going to be one those people who ends up a pure alcoholic drunk in a seedy motel somewhere, roaches crawling on the floor next to empty bottles of gin and scotch, the moth-eaten curtains draping haphazardly across the windows, and me just wasting away in isolation, kissing my liver goodbye, waiting to die.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 12:27 pm

Further to my earlier post, I must say that during my twenties I was a really heavy drinker, any excuse I had I would drink. I could easily go through 8 cans of beer and 3 bottles of wine in a day. Not every day of course.

I did think that it made it easier for me but then it just started making me sick all the time so I had to stop for the main part and change my ways.

amaris74
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2013, 1:14 pm

I used to drink a lot. In fact, it got to the point where I needed to have a couple of shots of vodka or whiskey before leaving the house (whether I was going to uni, work, or out with friends), because the thought of having to deal with other people while sober freaked me out. Nowadays, I don't go out much so I hardly ever drink alcohol, but it is still something that I use to help me deal with the odd social occasion that I attend.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 1:36 pm

Getting drunk for me improved my social skills significantly but I don't like the loss of control and not knowing what I am doing. besides. I like to avoid alcohol as much as possible because my mother was an alcoholic and it ended up killing her. Plus. It takes a hell of a lot of alcohol to get me drunk. I can pass a sobriety test with a blood/alcohol level of 0.42. most people can't walk out the front door at 0.30.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 1:36 pm

In my 20s, I hung out with a small group of friends and drinking beer and smokingweed really helped me relax and feel comfortable socializing. Unfortunately, I have issues with unfamiliar or public restrooms, so in larger social gatherings it would only create other problems.

Now I drink to self-medicate in the evenings, because I don't want to take Big Pharma sleep meds. But only in the evenings.

Hard liquor always made me extremely talkative, but often to the point of being obnoxious and annoying to others. :oops:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 1:46 pm

Mostly beer and to a lesser degree wine but sometimes stronger stuff.
I love the taste of good beer but beer itself was an acquired taste.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 1:46 pm

I can get really arrogant if I drink beer. It took me years and a lot of trouble before I realised this and changed my drink.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 3:15 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I really feel like I'm going to be one those people who ends up a pure alcoholic drunk in a seedy motel somewhere, roaches crawling on the floor next to empty bottles of gin and scotch, the moth-eaten curtains draping haphazardly across the windows, and me just wasting away in isolation, kissing my liver goodbye, waiting to die.
That sounds really, really pessimistic. But it can't be inevitable. I mean, there have to be ways to prevent it from happening. Most simply, to never drink at all... more usefully (because there's lots of other things you could get hooked on), to deal with whatever problems might drive you to it before they get that bad. 'Cause honestly, I don't think you want that kind of a half-life, and if you can stop it from happening, wouldn't that be a better option?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com