Page 2 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 5:23 pm

AFAIC, hops make beer taste like dirt- bitter. I don't understand how so many folks find bitter flavors to be delicious. that is like saying dirt is delicious.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 5:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:
AFAIC, hops make beer taste like dirt- bitter. I don't understand how so many folks find bitter flavors to be delicious. that is like saying dirt is delicious.
I completely agree. People have told me that it is an acquired taste and it takes time to like it. I don't understand why anyone would go through that kind of effort. That baffles me. Hops are fantastic to help you sleep though. Put some dried hops in a sachet in your pillowcase and you will be fast asleep in no time. In fact people who work in some breweries have a hard time staying awake.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

06 Aug 2013, 5:29 pm

auntblabby wrote:

I honestly will not understand why so many people love to drink beer.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 5:45 pm

equestriatola wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Especially when there is chocolate milk to drink

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 5:57 pm

I personally don't drink and I've never been interested in drinking.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 6:31 pm

I do like a good pint from time to time. Paler things like IPA in the summer (IPA shandy is very refreshing if it's particularly hot), and darker beers in the winter.

However it goes in phases and currently I've pretty much lost the taste for it. No idea why, just don't really want any.

I'll generally drink most things except tequila, or sugar and chemical-based alcopops, but at the moment the thought of drinking any of the wine or scotch that's in my cupboard revolts me.

The thing I really do avoid is caffeine, as that makes me feel dreadful. I've also found that having a diet that's low in dairy and wheat products makes me feel a lot healthier, though I'm not militant about it and will 'cheat' from time to time. I don't have much sugar anyway as I'm diabetic - apparently that can have a dramatic effect on AS - has anyone else on WP tested this out?

Buying soft drinks in corner shops is a pain as most smaller places have chillers owned by Coke but don't stock Sprite Light or Coke Gold, so there's very little available that's both caffeine and sugar free, other than spring water. Diet Vimto is my favourite but it's very hard to find.

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2013, 6:36 pm

I don't know about anyone else on the spectrum, but I don't. Reason being that I know that if I do, I'd turn into an absolute as*hole. Everyone knows that the more you drink, the more the inner you starts to really come out. Once it does, it is a surprising (in every sense of the term) revelation. Knowledge of self: something a family member of mine can sure learn.

ak_born
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2013, 6:58 pm

I love a good drink, but I tend to get nauseated if I have more than a few drinks; so I only lightly drink. Speaking of which, an APA sounds really good about now.

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2013, 7:07 pm

The only alcoholic beverage I can stand is single malt. I love the smokey kind, like Laphroaig... Yummy... I drink a glass or two maybe four times a year, tops.
I do wish I liked wine though, it looks really sexxy, but no, it tastes blääää!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 7:09 pm

Radiofixr wrote:
equestriatola wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Especially when there is chocolate milk to drink

I tried chocolate [Belgian] beer once, it was fine.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 7:30 pm

I used to drink heavily every chance I got while in the Navy. It was the only way to escape from what I found to be an almost intolerable existence, even if the reprieve was only temporary. Once I got out and my life slowly started to get better, I drank less, and quit altogether years ago.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 7:40 pm

I tried to drown my sorrows in the army but my body doesn't tolerate more than token amounts of alcohol, so back up it all went. damn.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 8:02 pm

I drink pretty much every day. I almost exclusively drink wine. Half a glass a day. So a bottle lasts a week. I only drink alone. I don't like social drinking. I need privacy when I drink. The presence of other people tends to ruin the joy of delicious food/drinks.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 8:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I tried to drown my sorrows in the army but my body doesn't tolerate more than token amounts of alcohol, so back up it all went. damn.

Interesting. I had quite a tolerance for the stuff in my teens and early twenties, but as I got older my guess is I became allergic to the stuff, which is another reason I quit.

I saved most of my money when I was in, so I never had much to spend. And since I was surrounded by people 24/7, it was good to get away. I'd go find a place to hole up alone and get drunk.

Hey, it wasn't very healthy, but it got me through four years and two months of the Navy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 8:55 pm

I wonder if I coulda passed boot training?

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 9:03 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I wonder if I coulda passed boot training?

Blabby, I thought you served. If so, then please explain.

I made it through boot camp with no real problems other than my aspieness. There you didn't even have privacy on the toilet, as there were no walls around them, and the same with the showers. The first thing I did was go out on a drunk though on boot camp liberty. I was able to drink legally at age seventeen.