Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 6:58 pm

For those who don't know, I was diagnosed with a tic disorder/Tourettes as a kid. I didn't really understand it, but it explained why I blink, roll my eyes, and blurt out random words constantly.

I challenge the readers this. Go to a mall and focus on a few people. You are probably bound to find someone with tics. The hard thing about tics is sometimes you don't even know you're ticking.

One thing: what do you think with all of this in mind?

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 7:59 pm

I don't live where there is a mall, I'd have to drive really far to get to one. However my son makes tic like movements when he speaks because he has a stutter. I don't notice it as much as most people do. It's a part of who he is, and he isn't concerned all that much, unless he gets a block, which annoys him, and sometimes when I can tell he's annoyed I feel bad for him.
So if I saw a person with tics I guess I'd think he or she either has Tourette's or a stutter. That's about it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 8:07 pm

When I see someone who has tics, I think about how cool it is that I'm not the only person who has them.

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2013, 8:32 pm

I have a tic - a few times a day, my whole body jerks to the left and my left arm shoots up. I agree with the previous poster that seeing others tic just makes me feel less out of the ordinary.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 8:34 pm

Well, I new someone who had Tourette tics and I also have a brother who always had a lot of Tourette like tics, like facial grimaces and jerking his neck in a funny way. but he didn't blurt out random words. My father had tics also.
I know it is a compulsion and has to do with neurology, but to me, I see it as part of their charming personalities.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 9:43 pm

Over the course of many years, I can pretty much control mine and keep them in check.

Taken a good long time.

I still happens if i get nervous or excited about anything, the tics comes back.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 9:54 pm

Yeah, I notice people who have tics sometimes. I don't really think much about it. It's just a brain quirk.

I have occasional tics, jerking my head or occasionally making this funny barking sound, sometimes blurting out a word I happen to be thinking about or repeating the last few words of something I just heard (which I guess is more echolalia than tic, but is involuntary... so... ). But it's not very often, nowhere near the point where it would be a problem. So no Tourette's diagnosis for me, nor any need for one. I think tics are probably pretty common in general. I don't experience them more than once or twice a day at most.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2013, 10:13 pm

As someone with Tourette's, I'd rather that people not go looking for me, tyvm. It's bad enough as it is.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 10:57 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
When I see someone who has tics, I think about how cool it is that I'm not the only person who has them.

I kind of do too. It just reminds me that I'm not alone.

gretchyn wrote:
As someone with Tourette's, I'd rather that people not go looking for me, tyvm. It's bad enough as it is.

I know how you feel because this is how I feel about my tics every day. People stare and I was given the name "Twitchy" by my brother and classmates. I guess I shouldn't, but I also don't want them to feel alone either.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 11:07 am

Callista wrote:
I have occasional tics, jerking my head or occasionally making this funny barking sound, sometimes blurting out a word I happen to be thinking about or repeating the last few words of something I just heard (which I guess is more echolalia than tic, but is involuntary... so... ).

I have had echolalia as a tic and a stim for as long as I can remember. I don't even know I'm echoing unless you tell me. I also make grunting noises because it feels good for my throat. Jerking my head and blinking are more common though. I'm no exception.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 2:43 pm

I find other people's eye blinking tics to be very annoying and distracting, which is too bad, since I have that tic too! So I worry that my tics are distracting to other people. I know other people sometimes notice my shoulder shrugging and back-twisting tics because occasionally someone will ask whether my back is bothering me.

I mostly try not to think about my tics or how they look to other people. There's no point- it will just make me self-conscious and there's nothing I can do about it anyway. I wouldn't say that noticing other people's tics make me feel better- they just make me wonder what my tics look like.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2013, 5:05 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:

gretchyn wrote:

I know how you feel because this is how I feel about my tics every day. People stare and I was given the name "Twitchy" by my brother and classmates. I guess I shouldn't, but I also don't want them to feel alone either.

Yup...I was called Twitch in middle/high school, too. I still hate that word... (I'm now 34 8O)