Anyone else get annoyed by washing and dressing?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AmbientRainbow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2007, 8:21 pm

Yep, I know, not a subject for delicate company. But does anyone else resent having to get washed and dressed?

If I'm out of a treadmill routine (which I like because I dont have to make choices and I give myself 7 mins to do it all in), I absolutely loath, detest and resent like h*ll having to spend time washing and dressing. It just seems like an almighty boring chore: there I am, all comfy in jahmies or tracks, when I am forced by some appt or meeting or something to haul myself to the bathroom and do all the stuff with water (yet I love water). I just dont get it - I can do the same quality work when I'm 'undressed/unwashed' as I can when I'm all togged up. I usually procrastinate like crazy before I manage to get to bathroom.

Then there's the utter tedium of drying everything and making sure hair looks presentable. Then there's the sort of 'getting right' in my skin again. Clothes just dont feel good on a washed body, and certainly not clean clothes. It takes hours and hours for them to feel ok. Then there's choosing what to wear...I would just wear the same thing for days and days so that I didnt have to make hard boring decisions about what goes with what and what colour mood I'm in, and so that I dont have to endure the hours of discomfort of clean clothes. Often I'll choose to wear something that goes with my socks.

As I'm writing about it all, I feel myself getting angrier and angrier (oh mi god! an immediate FEELING that I can easily identify! That's not happened in a while - I must be REALLY allergic to washing and dressing!)

Yeah, what a total waste of time it is. I suppose it helps that I am living alone currently! (Uhhh, through MY choice, not because of any pong!)

AspieGurl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2007, 8:54 pm

I agree tis an "almighty boring chore."

I've been writing a story like crazy since the weekend and haven’t been bothered with personal hygiene etiquette at all.

I mean the only reason I’ve changed my clothes was because I had to go to school today or I would be wearing the same clothes from Friday.

My shoes are always untied I drop food on what ever outfit I’m wearing while I’m eating and I detest undergarments (mostly socks and the like).

It’s not that I don’t know how to dress it’s just that I choose not too; especially if I’m working on something that has enraptured my time.

Truth be told… it is easier for an autistic boy to get away with being sloppy then an autistic girl. Random people sometimes assume I’m a homeless teen runaway because of my unusual manner of dress but I never let that bother me.

game_developer
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2007, 3:03 am

The physical act of washing/dressing is great fun, but I tend to put them off. This is something about me that I don't understand at all.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 3:27 am

In total agreement with your intire post.I loath the whole grooming process and have arranged my life around avoiding it as much as possible.I have worked over nights(at teen treatment center and working in Developmental Delayed residence)for past 12 years.Some nights I forget to even look in the mirror before I leave for work,let alone comb,wash or check clothing.I can come to work in "PJ" type clothing...T-shirts and flannel night pants.I wash my hair about once a week(it never gets greasy)
and I only bath about twice a week.I do wash my hands and face when It feels needed and brush my teeth at least twice a day but that is because I cant stand wearing "fur" on my teeth.

The true absurdity in my situation is that I own alot of clothes I pick up cheap at thriftstores....I collect them because I think they look aesthetically pleasing but cant stand to wear them.For the six months I was once homeless...all I dreamed of was a long hot soak in the tub.I really hated "having" to be dirty....as much as I resent having to spend my time grooming my wild self into a socially acceptable commodity.I can wear the same outfit for days and prefer to do so but I know my co-workers would(maybe already do?)gossip about my poor hygene....My personal rule is if I cant smell me(I do have sensitive nose but probably amune to myself)and there arent to many food stains...I can wear something again....I just rotate my "dirty clothes"
so people will assume I washed them since the last time.Actually I think most weatern culture hygene would be seen as nurotic and wastful if viewed through the eyes of some other cultures or time periods......I mean,how many of us do any hard work enough to really even get dirty?If I worked outside,I would probably bath every day....but I work in a clean environment.

(Sorry,,,bit of a rant there)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2007, 3:59 am

I am not a morning person by a long shot so I always shower at night. It feels good to jump into bed with clean skin and I can't usually sleep unless I've showered. When I'm in "oh-shit mode" on a play (working 8 to 14 hours a day on a production in addition to class and homework) my clothing and hygiene goes out the window. I just throw on what ever smells the least and I will be least likely to over heat in. This is probably a lot of the reason I have few friends. Nobody wants to be around someone who stinks.... 8)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 4:09 am

It sucks sh*t.

I shower everyday because I have an unhealthy fear of smelling bad. I hate having to have a shower and get dressed.

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 4:17 am

hale_bopp wrote:
It sucks sh*t.

I shower everyday because I have an unhealthy fear of smelling bad. I hate having to have a shower and get dressed.

You smell nice on here, but it just may be the avatar.

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 4:49 am

It's not that I'm annoyed about having to dress appropriately and such. I simply forget about it. My mind is usually on other things which I find far more fascinating - like writing, nature, the things that surround me, finally, and when I'm absorbed in them mundane tasks like having to dress or comb my hair slip my mind completely. I may forget to eat in the same fashion, too.

My mother has always remarked on how sloppy I look, and how it makes me ugly. Frankly, I don't care too much because there seem to be so many other interesting things to focus on, instead of spending hours at the mirror polishing my appearance, and taking pains to pick and wear the "right" clothes. This feels like a waste of time, and makes no sense, really. I don't see why someone would really want to do it. To me, clothes are there to keep me warm and comfortable, so they should be convenient, soft and loose enough, and cover the whole of me; and maybe I'll also choose colors that reflect my mood, but that's about it.

And then, even if I try to make myself look tidier, I don't manage to. There's always something I lose sight of - like a button undone or done up the wrong way, uncombed hair, a smudge of dirt on my sweater, something like that. Not that I care too much either way.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 7:32 am

hale_bopp wrote:

I can relate to this. I got too much flak as a teenager, for being unkempt, by the other kids at school. Since then I've been paranoid about cleanliness (though I've always been OCD about hand washing).

On the other hand, it is a real effort to get ready in the morning. Sometimes it takes me ages to get into the bathroom, though once there I'm fine. I would probably rate it towards the top of my reasons for not wanting to go to work - I would much rather just throw on some clothes and jump in the car.

Having said that, deciding what to wear is another issue - I've sort of sorted this out by wearing the same style every day. If I can get away with it, I will wear exactly the same! I've heard that Einstein had several sets of clothes that were the same. He said it was so he didn't have to waste brain power making mundane decisions - I think it was more likely that he was displaying some AS traits.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 7:52 am

Well, I can't tell you PRECISELY how I was as a kid, but I never disliked a bath. Today, I am more religious about it because you get to a certain age and your hair becomes oily, etc... But showering takes less time than eating! I brush my teeth a LOT, but showering only takes about 2-3 times as long. Probably about twelve times as long as washing my hands. I wash my hands THOUROUGHLY, probably better than most doctors before operations. HEY, it is worth it, and I generally only take a shower once a day. I swear, if I could figure out a way to do it in 1/2 to 1/3 the time, I would do it during a commercial break! There HAVE been times I have done it after one show, and gotten back just as the next show started!

Steve

Hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2007, 8:29 am

AmbientRainbow, YES!! ! I feel the same as you, and it's becoming worse the older I get. I have to force myself to bathe, brush teeth, do hair, decide what to wear, etc. I detest filth and anyone who smells bad, though, so I carry on, resenting every minute of it...Some days, however, I will wear the same comfy flannel shirt or big sweater two days in a row, but will clean up.

I also resent going...Um...Number two. Seriously, I loathe this beyond words. Hate it, hate it, hate it. :x

Sometimes I wish I were a robot.

BeadsInMyToes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2007, 12:57 pm

I feel like you do, Ambient Rainbow. I hate it. I just feel like bathing is overstimulating. If I take a shower at night, I won't be able to get to sleep for at least three hours. It has nothing to do with the water temp or anything. I just feel overstimulated.

I don't know how else to explain it. It's an unpleasant sensory overload. Being wet and then cold and wet. Drying off. Getting cold clothes on. I really hate it.

I also hate choosing clothes. I want to be comfortable. I don't understand why anyone should wear anything that isn't comfortable enough to sleep in. If my clothes are not totally comfortable, I won't be able to relax at all, all day. I'll be tense and nervous.

I'm a woman, but I have never worn make-up. I'm not a lesbian, though people wrongly assume so. The whole thing seems so strange to me. I don't think I could go out in public with any at all on. not even enough to cover up a zit. I'd feel so self-conscious that I couldn't do it.

My hair? I used to have dreadlocks. Now I brush it. I don't want to primp or fuss. I don't wish to stand out. I just want to do the bare minimum.

Freawaru
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2007, 1:06 pm

BeadsInMyToes wrote:
I'm a woman, but I have never worn make-up.

My God I thought I was the only one. I myself have a rabid aversion to it and, unluckily, bad skin too XD But I can't "cover up". I can't BEAR that stuff anywhere near my face, that horrible sticky oily gooey powdery... GARGH! My mother actually told me I'd be unemployable unless I wore the stuff, but I never did, and somehow managed to land a part-time job :P Worst thing about being female is the way you're expected to look.

I'm not fond of washing either, come to that, and I used to be a bit... let's be charitable and say erratic about it :oops: To the extent that a teacher once took me aside in school and said that a few other girls had come to her to say I stunk.

A year or so ago, though, I took up Dance Dance Revolution, which I play three days out of four, and I always shower afterwards. I found that it's actually pleasurable to wash when I'm hot and sticky, rather than when I'm just getting in there 'cause I'm supposed to, because then I feel all resentful and stuff. DDR made me a clean person :)

BeadsInMyToes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2007, 1:54 pm

Freawaru wrote:
BeadsInMyToes wrote:
I'm a woman, but I have never worn make-up.

My God I thought I was the only one. I myself have a rabid aversion to it and, unluckily, bad skin too XD But I can't "cover up". I can't BEAR that stuff anywhere near my face, that horrible sticky oily gooey powdery... GARGH! My mother actually told me I'd be unemployable unless I wore the stuff, but I never did, and somehow managed to land a part-time job :P Worst thing about being female is the way you're expected to look.

You too? It's awful, isn't it? I have been told the same thing.

My grandma used to be so upset with me that she'd buy me bags of make-up and put them on my lap as we drove away. She was so embarrassed that I wasn't wearing it. This was in high school. It would have made her so angry if she knew that I was giving it to my friend Arthur. But you see, his grandma wouldn't buy him any! :lol:

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 2:15 pm

Boring? Cleaning takes like 10 minutes of your day! Dressing, only a few.

Are they exciting? No, but I wouldn't waste my energy worrying about such things. Point is, cleaning helps prevent sickness, thats all there is to it.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 2:35 pm

Well, I love taking showers because I love the feel of being rained upon, and if I am getting very anxious or need to calm down for some reason, a hot shower does the trick. But a lot of times I will completely forget to actually wash. I have been known to have shampoo in my hair (baby shampoo that doesn't sting the eyes) and just get dressed as usual, or think I washed but didn't really, or start tracing the pattern of the water on the wall until the water isn't warm anymore, or sometimes I start to shave the legs and only get 1/2 of a leg done. (It is a running joke around my family about absent minded I am.)

I don't resent having to wash, since I dislike body odors on myself and others.

But getting dressed, well, I solved that problem by limiting my wardrobe. Oh, people still buy me clothes, but I don't wear them; they just sit in my closet until a Goodwill run every other month or so. It frustrates the people who buy the clothes, but that is just because they value them more than I do. And I guess I am also kind of gross in that area since I forget to wash my clothes, too. It drives my family Ka-raze-e.

And makeup; all my sisters wear makeup and spend an hour so doing their hair. I hate makeup and spend five seconds putting some spiking gel in my hair straight out of bed.