Anyone like listening to the same song over and over?

Page 1 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Ninox75
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Nov 2013, 3:47 am

I listen to The Humbling River by Puscifer over and over again I don't know why but somehow the lyrics have meaning for me.
The Planets by Gustav Holst is another I listen to constantly, throughout my childhood I wore out two records and one cassette with this work on it, I have it on my Ipod and I still listen to it every chance I get (especially Uranus the magician).

MoCoffee
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2013, 5:51 am

I have a sleep disorder, so I listen to one particular song when I can't sleep and it relaxes me. I've been using this same song (Andrew Lloyd Webber's Requiem performed by Charlotte Church) for several years now, and I still love it.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 12:42 am

I don't understand how I missed this thread.

This is something I've talked with my therapist about, how it may be a sign of "special interest" (okay...OBSESSION)- another arrow pointing to him being right, that I'm on the spectrum (which I suspected before he brought it up anyway).

I'll hear a song I like, and listen to it again and again. I'll go on YouTube and try to find alternate performances of it by the original singer/group, or cover versions by other people. I'll sit there and listen to these other recordings over and over again, sometimes for hours.

Nah. No "excessive special interest" there. ;)

By the way...I do NOT think most people do this, despite claims made. It's got to be a spectrum thing.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 1:15 am

All the time.

RandyG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2013, 1:17 am

Yes, one song or piece will just grab me -- could be anything from Beethoven to Hound Dog Taylor -- and I'll listen to it several times, do something else for a while, then listen to it several times again. Usually while fantasizing that I'm the soloist. After a few weeks of this, my interest will gradually fade until I'm only listening to it once or twice a day. Then I find a new song to obsess over.

My iTunes library looks pretty strange, there'll be an album which I've listened to only twice, except for one song which has 84 listens ....

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 1:21 am

RandyG wrote:
...After a few weeks of this, my interest will gradually fade until I'm only listening to it once or twice a day. Then I find a new song to obsess over....

Yep!

Ninox75
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Nov 2013, 1:27 am

RandyG wrote:
Yes, one song or piece will just grab me -- could be anything from Beethoven to Hound Dog Taylor -- and I'll listen to it several times, do something else for a while, then listen to it several times again. Usually while fantasizing that I'm the soloist. After a few weeks of this, my interest will gradually fade until I'm only listening to it once or twice a day. Then I find a new song to obsess over.

My iTunes library looks pretty strange, there'll be an album which I've listened to only twice, except for one song which has 84 listens ....

Same here my iTunes library has some tunes that i have listened to twice but I have one that has 275 listens (I am addiscted to the Humbling River by Puscifer), it is clearly a trait of AS it is not typical of NT's, sure they might have a tune they adore but never to this extent.

RandyG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2013, 1:42 am

Aaand now I've gone and listened to SRV's version of "Wham" four more times. Thanks a lot. :tongue:

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2013, 2:20 am

Yes, I think I can listen to the same track at least 15 time before I get sick of it and listen to something else. The repetition can really annoy others if I aren't using headphones.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 10:36 am

Uh....this is my clearest autistic trait.

When I was 10 I discovered Bach, and I listened to Brandenburg Concerto #3 about 10 times every day for two years. I eventually branched out to listen to all 6 of the concertos, and then I branched out to discover the whole range of Classical music. But as for the Brandenburgs, I have about 6 different versions of them, and I still listen to them almost every day.

Each concerto has a mixture of colors in them for me, too. Crazy, crazy, crazy!

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 12:35 pm

umm.... YES! :lol:

Luckily my boss lets me use my ipod and headphones at work. I put Fireflies by Owl City on repeat for a good amount of the day!

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 4:22 pm

I smile about this. Why are we so darn repetitive? I mean, I can eat the same food for a month. What the heck is this all about? Why are we this way?

Phospective
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2015, 9:43 am

Yes!! Currently I´m stuck on Crono Trigger Corridors of Time - all the different youtube versions too.
Way back in the 80's I used to make music tapes from the radio, like all the kids did then, and one tape had 'If you leave" by OMD about three times, even though I would listen to the 60 or 90 minute tape over and over all day.
I loved the Ric Ocasek "Emotion in Motion" song and filmclip and the whole album along with The Cars album "This Side of Paradise, Jean Michel Jarre music and the Jeff Lynn War of the Worlds music to name a few.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 10:12 am

Yes, but I don´t think, that is necessarily is an autistic thing. It might just as well be because we want to unlock the story in it.
When, for example, I bought a recording of Beethovens last quartets, - I listened to them for months, every day, discovering more and more motivic subtelties, spiritual or humoristic expressions and historical depths. It was a complete revelation......To me Beethoven is without limitations!
When I was to study medieval music, gregorian chant and early counterpoint, I just let the record play over and over and over all day, until suddenly I heard a LANGUAGE. That´s when I could start studying it.

I think, I have used music repetitively to ease my moods, but that is not autistic.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 10:42 am

Yes. Elliot Smith's song "Alameda" is a current favorite to keep rotating.

I also like Vaughan William's Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.

I sometimes take my interest in a song a step further and I become "obsessed" with learning it on the piano. However, I usually only learn the parts of the song that really catch my ear and move me emotionally. I'll play those parts (on the piano) over and over so I can experience that emotion. Kind of weird.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 11:59 am

Yep. I listen to PelleK's songs over and over and over and over... never once do I get tired of it. :D I love his voice, so it's hard to really get tired of hearing him sing. <3 The most repeats or plays I've had lately is from his cover of Be Prepared from the Lion King. It has over three thousand plays in all... almost 4000. XD