Just a very general comment about these forums and posters

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

applesauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 130

29 Sep 2013, 11:58 am

Does anyone else get more offended when someone uses swear words ungrammatically than the actual use of the expletive itself? Or is that just me..?

I am a moderator on another forum where chatspeak is frowned on but still happens. It's only here that I don't think I've ever seen it (though I tend to lurk in and out from time to time rather than stay longterm).



skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,353
Location: my own little world

29 Sep 2013, 1:20 pm

It can make me uncomfortable if some people have very bad grammar and speak loudly. I don't feel that way about foreigners who have English as a second language, I live in the US, except that if they are too loud it can me uncomfortable. I don't think less of them as people at all but I get insecure around them. I feel more shy and sometimes frightened by them.


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 May 2012
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,476
Location: Rhode Island

29 Sep 2013, 2:01 pm

yes! i really like wrongplanet.net for its clear, plain english.


_________________
Living Nintendo Database.
Mute Ameslan Signer.


jk1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,817

29 Sep 2013, 3:14 pm

I've never been a member of any other forums and so cannot make comparisons. I'm glad that many people think WP members' writing in general is pretty good.



pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 921
Location: The Netherlands

29 Sep 2013, 3:23 pm

Since my mother tongue is dutch and because of the fact that I hate learning languages in general I am bound to make a few mistakes here and there. Don't cheer too soon!



skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,353
Location: my own little world

29 Sep 2013, 3:44 pm

pokerface wrote:
Since my mother tongue is dutch and because of the fact that I hate learning languages in general I am bound to make a few mistakes here and there. Don't cheer too soon!
You are doing great!


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 921
Location: The Netherlands

29 Sep 2013, 4:05 pm

skibum wrote:
pokerface wrote:
Since my mother tongue is dutch and because of the fact that I hate learning languages in general I am bound to make a few mistakes here and there. Don't cheer too soon!
You are doing great!


Thanks to the help of my best friend Google!



KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,833
Location: f'ton,manchester UK

29 Sep 2013, 4:55 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
yes! i really like wrongplanet.net for its clear, plain english.

in own view,its not clear plain english on here,am always having to use kitadic on posts because have got no clue what a lot of the words mean.
with the majority of users on here being aspies,theres a heck of a lot of complex language in use.

as for the original topic,dont go expecting it like a overall rule ;) wont ever take part in 'txt chat' but am very grammar,spelling and language challenged due to brain injury,severe autism and ID,didnt used to be as bad in this area until had had some especialy bad BIs from unprotected head banging.


_________________
>severely autistic.
>>the residential autist; http://theresidentialautist.blogspot.co.uk
blogging from the view of an ex institutionalised autism/ID activist now in community care.
>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!


Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 401
Location: East coast at the moment

29 Sep 2013, 5:03 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
AdamAutistic wrote:
yes! i really like wrongplanet.net for its clear, plain english.

in own view,its not clear plain english on here,am always having to use kitadic on posts because have got no clue what a lot of the words mean.
with the majority of users on here being aspies,theres a heck of a lot of complex language in use.

as for the original topic,dont go expecting it like a overall rule ;) wont ever take part in 'txt chat' but am very grammar,spelling and language challenged due to brain injury,severe autism and ID,didnt used to be as bad in this area until had had some especialy bad BIs from unprotected head banging.


fair enough and pretty reasonable.

i think there is a difference between people who are doing their best, and people who just don't care.

but, everyone is free to communicate however they want. in the end, to me, that is what's great about the internet. if someone doesn't like it, they are always free not to read it, right?

i think what's great about WrongPlanet people is folks try really hard to understand and be understood (except for trolls of course).

for the record, "chatspeak" (i am assuming stuff like "omg" and "lol") started as shortcuts used by people using the hard-of-hearing chat function over the telephone, not gamers or anyone else.


_________________
161 Aspie / 51 NT - Aspie Quiz (very likely an aspie)
36 - AS Quotient
115 aloof, 123 rigid, 89 prag - Aut/BAP
24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,353
Location: my own little world

29 Sep 2013, 5:38 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
,am always having to use kitadic .
What is kidatic?


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,275
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Sep 2013, 7:26 pm

skibum wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
,am always having to use kitadic .
What is kidatic?


Google tells me that it's a dictionary app.



skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,353
Location: my own little world

29 Sep 2013, 7:43 pm

Verdandi wrote:
skibum wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
,am always having to use kitadic .
What is kidatic?


Google tells me that it's a dictionary app.
thank you. :D


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,760
Location: Long Island, New York

29 Sep 2013, 10:46 pm

Much much less ego here.

Typical internet forum conversation
1. Find somebody who disagrees with you

2. Catch a mistake no how obscure by that said person to discredit him.

3. Remind that poster that he made that mistake and he is discredited each and every post so that whatever he says no matter how factual now matter how correct he is in pointing out flaws in your argument it won't matter.

4. Accuse him of living in his parents bedroom.

5. Accuse him of being a fanboy, troll, or on the payroll for the cause he is advocating

6 Say he and everybody that believes in like him is a denier thereby indirectly associating him with holocaust deniers.

7. The other person then has to discredit the the other person/belief to a greater degree then he has been discredited and round and round we go.

For the most part that does not happen here


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 401
Location: East coast at the moment

29 Sep 2013, 10:53 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Much much less ego here.

Typical internet forum conversation
1. Find somebody who disagrees with you

2. Catch a mistake no how obscure by that said person to discredit him.

3. Remind that poster that he made that mistake and he is discredited each and every post so that whatever he says no matter how factual now matter how correct he is in pointing out flaws in your argument it won't matter.

4. Accuse him of living in his parents bedroom.

5. Accuse him of being a fanboy, troll, or on the payroll for the cause he is advocating

6 Say he and everybody that believes in like him is a denier thereby indirectly associating him with holocaust deniers.

7. The other person then has to discredit the the other person/belief to a greater degree then he has been discredited and round and round we go.

For the most part that does not happen here


had to stifle my own laughter here

so true to life


_________________
161 Aspie / 51 NT - Aspie Quiz (very likely an aspie)
36 - AS Quotient
115 aloof, 123 rigid, 89 prag - Aut/BAP
24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks


paulistaKC
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
Location: Kansas City

30 Sep 2013, 12:29 am

the time we must save not hitting the 'shift' or 'enter' keys! ha!



conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2010
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,922
Location: third rock from one of many suns

30 Sep 2013, 1:04 am

I've always appreciated this too. :)


_________________
The existence of the leader who is wise
is barely known to those he leads.
He acts without unnecessary speech,
so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17