Nick Dubin's "Aspergers and Anxiety" thoughts

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MusicalWonders
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2013, 12:27 pm

It's not really much of a trust and betrayal thing as it is a preparation thing. They are more prepared to handle change than AS are.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2013, 1:38 pm

to me it's just that i have trouble adapting to sudden change. it's like my brain just charges ahead with its original plans regardless of whether i know the situation is now different. change creates extraordinary stress and stress begets anxiety/panic/dissociation (for me).

if i'm pre-prepared to make sudden changes, i can do it, often easily. for instance i may have my heart set on making a major purchase, and if i discover something is amiss, i can walk away in a heartbeat (sales people hate me).

but, if my BF pops in the door unexpectedly, my heart races. if he announces someone is coming over, or asks me to suddenly do something with him, i feel sick. i may feel better about it in ten minutes, or twenty, or an hour, but in the moment, i can't just drop what i'm doing and start doing something else unless i've already been thinking about it, or it's an emergency (which will cost me something, but i do have my priorities).

when i read that AS and anxiety disorders are often comorbid, it was another one of those "aha" moments that just confirmed my suspicions. feeling like i have my skin on inside out, of course i am predisposed to stress and anxiety.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks