Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 May 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,359
Location: Lost Angleles Carmen Santiago

29 Sep 2013, 10:05 pm

Ackshuly, most of this useless advice became useful to me, once I became positive about just using it.


_________________
Drain and plane and grain and blain your brain, and then again,
Propane and butane out of the gas main, your blain shall sustain!


conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2010
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,922
Location: third rock from one of many suns

30 Sep 2013, 12:35 am

"Just breathe." Right, when I'm feeling like this, that's not going to help all that much:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcDFFIuVUS0[/youtube]


_________________
The existence of the leader who is wise
is barely known to those he leads.
He acts without unnecessary speech,
so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17


bumble
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,073

30 Sep 2013, 4:00 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Ackshuly, most of this useless advice became useful to me, once I became positive about just using it.


I tend to find that it doesn't help me even when I am positive about it.

For example last month I went out most days of the week to visit coastal areas as I do so love to take pictures and videos of the ocean and beaches there. I traveled to great Yarmouth (which I was not very impressed with as it was too tourist orientated and a bit flat...the coast line in Sheringham has much more character), Cromer, Sheringham and even as far as Hunstanton briefly stopping of at Wells by the Sea to change buses. I also walked the coastal path from Sheringham to Cromer and climbed Beeston Bump as well not to mention visiting several museums (I love museums) both in Cromer (where they have a victorian cottage) and Sheringham where they have The Mo (a maritime museum) and spoke to many people, but I have still not made any friends and am still alone when it comes to close relationships in the real world.

I also joined a gym and went swimming, but this has not resulted in my finding a friend yet either.

(Ps one can find footage of the sealife center, its shark tank, the ocean at cromer and sheringham etc on my blogs and facebook page should you be as fascinated as I am right now by the ocean and species of shark etc).

So no, going out and talking to people does not necessarily work when trying to find someone to be friends with. There is obvsiously something else I need to do but I don't really know what that is. Ergo, on its own, just go out and talk to people is not really helpful advice for me.

The same goes for just be yourself. If I am myself I can be almost certain that people will think I am weird. This can however go one of two ways. Either my oddities mystify and amuse people and they like me or they avoid me because they seem to think I am too weird to be sane.

I know people think I am weird as they tell me. Everyone I meet tells me I am either different, odd, strange, unusual, a weird one, eccentric and so on. No one I have met has called me normal but they have asked me if I could try to be more normal please!

So the more myself I am the more people can tend to avoid me, or even bully me, or ostracise me, or reject me. Telling me to be myself is not good advice if I want to make friends lol. People don't really understand me if I am myself. Instead I have to change myself so that fit in with them as otherwise they are not willing to 'tolerate' me and my differences (my quirks, mys sensitivities and my passion for my hobbies). So no, I am not allowed to be myself if I want friends, as myself is not what they consider to be normal. People liking my quirks is rare unfortunately (although it has happened).

Also when it comes to being told to breathe...I get so annoyed at repeatedly being told the obvious that it actually makes things worse when I am already about to overload! I also hate sitting still and just doing boring breathing exercises. I tired it, it annoys me. I relax more when I can move around and burn some energy off. If I feel myself over loading I prefer to get and dance if I can, it seems to work better for me than just breathing especially if I spin or use a swaying motion (moving from side to side from side to side from side to side and so on).

Different things work for different people I guess.



GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,293

30 Sep 2013, 7:11 am

So much bad advice and some of it made my life a living hell, most of it by "experts".....
"Act like everyone else (in Junior High)"

That just made me stand out even more and look like a poseur. The bullies had a field day with this one!

"It's your negative attitude that causes it"

Good ol' New Age BS. Yeah, so when I was a happy child I was secretly sending off negative vibes that caused me to be bullied? F*** you!

"You are lucky to even have a job/home/family etc"

Yeah thanks I feel ten times worse about myself now for being such an ungrateful loser. I was in a cancer ward for a day and knowing that some kids died horrific deaths doesn't exactly make me feel better about myself it makes me even more depressed.

"Talk to the bullies and be their friend. They are hurting inside."

The only way they are hurting is if you punch them back. Let me say it for the millionth time: YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A BULLY. YOU CANNOT EMPATHIZE WITH A BULLY. THEY SIMPLY DON'T CARE! It took me years to realize bullies ENJOY causing pain and suffering.

and the one that angers me the most. I heard this from parents, counselors, employers, everyone.
"Your dream (being an excavator operator) is silly. That's for dropouts and failures. You are very intelligent and the future is in e-commerce."

Following that advice practically ruined my life and my financial independence! Those same "failures" are making twice my income right now while I'm royally f***ed if current trends continue doing a job I'm unhappy at.



Last edited by GiantHockeyFan on 30 Sep 2013, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lostathome
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 121

30 Sep 2013, 7:42 am

Definately "Be yourself".

If I had hidden "myself" throughout school, it might not have been so hellish.



babybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 64,108
Location: UK

30 Sep 2013, 7:46 am

If anyone said "Be yourself" to me, I think I'd be a bit confused.

What does that even mean?

Who else are you supposed to be?


_________________
We have existence


Wafflemarine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 182
Location: Minnesota, Eagan

30 Sep 2013, 7:53 am

NTs are worthless and the most annoying things about any Meltdown if they would actually take the time to understand it. Its a clash between logical and emotional parts of our brains don't try to feed us logical ideas like just breath or think positive. You will only make us pissed we know these things.

USELESS advice. That and the wonderful platitude of "It will all work out in the end"


_________________
Stories are much tidier then real life. Stories have neat, happy endings, but all you ever really get is unfinished business.
Life's so much easier when you got someone to blame.


jametto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2009
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 127

30 Sep 2013, 7:54 am

"you need to build relationships with these people" lol



skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,295
Location: my own little world

30 Sep 2013, 8:49 am

Giant Hockey Fan, you just gave me a good laugh. I misread your post and at first I thought your dream was to be an elevator operator. That is just as noble a job as any other but when I reread your post and read it correctly it made me laugh. Two VERY different professions! :D I can't imagine why anyone would think it is silly to be an excavator operator. You have to know a whole lot about a whole lot to do that well.


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,293

30 Sep 2013, 3:25 pm

skibum wrote:
Giant Hockey Fan, you just gave me a good laugh. I misread your post and at first I thought your dream was to be an elevator operator. That is just as noble a job as any other but when I reread your post and read it correctly it made me laugh. Two VERY different professions! :D I can't imagine why anyone would think it is silly to be an excavator operator. You have to know a whole lot about a whole lot to do that well.

You wanna REALLY laugh? Do you know what one of my obsessive interests that I've always had my entire life? Escalators! I kid you not I also wanted to be an escalator mechanic. Unfortunately, the city I grew up in had exactly 16 escalators (and the entire province had 19) so not exactly New York or Toronto. I'm not kidding when I discovered one downtown building had 4 escalators and it was NOT a mall unlike the rest. It was like discovering a lost city! Sadly I had to give up the obsession a bit when I realized many escalators in my current city are in restricted areas, including an international arrivals area. Still, when I saw the newest escalators just installed at our local mall, it was like being a kid again! I suppose I understand why nobody wants to be around me: when I was in New Brunswick a few years ago I was telling the people I was with that of the (I believe) 16 escalators in the province, 15 are in Saint John and only 1 in Moncton when both cities are around the same size. Apparently nobody else thought that was a important fact to know :lol: :lol:

To respond to your original point, people thought it was silly because I was very intelligent (not MENSA level like my brother but top 15%-20%) and excavator operators were viewed as the stereotypical lazy, cigarette smoking, cursing, woman howling dirt-bags, which I later learned was FAR from reality. I would have been a great excavator operator and I would have gotten along with everyone too. Oh well!



redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2012
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,009
Location: Seattle, WA

30 Sep 2013, 3:32 pm

Every time I leave the house they should give me an Academy Award because I'm always putting on an act. Be myself? I don't think so.



Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 401
Location: East coast at the moment

30 Sep 2013, 5:15 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
You wanna REALLY laugh? Do you know what one of my obsessive interests that I've always had my entire life? Escalators! I kid you not I also wanted to be an escalator mechanic.


i must be AS because i think that is totally adorable.


_________________
161 Aspie / 51 NT - Aspie Quiz (very likely an aspie)
36 - AS Quotient
115 aloof, 123 rigid, 89 prag - Aut/BAP
24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,295
Location: my own little world

30 Sep 2013, 5:28 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
skibum wrote:
Giant Hockey Fan, you just gave me a good laugh. I misread your post and at first I thought your dream was to be an elevator operator. That is just as noble a job as any other but when I reread your post and read it correctly it made me laugh. Two VERY different professions! :D I can't imagine why anyone would think it is silly to be an excavator operator. You have to know a whole lot about a whole lot to do that well.

You wanna REALLY laugh? Do you know what one of my obsessive interests that I've always had my entire life? Escalators! I kid you not I also wanted to be an escalator mechanic. Unfortunately, the city I grew up in had exactly 16 escalators (and the entire province had 19) so not exactly New York or Toronto. I'm not kidding when I discovered one downtown building had 4 escalators and it was NOT a mall unlike the rest. It was like discovering a lost city! Sadly I had to give up the obsession a bit when I realized many escalators in my current city are in restricted areas, including an international arrivals area. Still, when I saw the newest escalators just installed at our local mall, it was like being a kid again! I suppose I understand why nobody wants to be around me: when I was in New Brunswick a few years ago I was telling the people I was with that of the (I believe) 16 escalators in the province, 15 are in Saint John and only 1 in Moncton when both cities are around the same size. Apparently nobody else thought that was a important fact to know :lol: :lol:

To respond to your original point, people thought it was silly because I was very intelligent (not MENSA level like my brother but top 15%-20%) and excavator operators were viewed as the stereotypical lazy, cigarette smoking, cursing, woman howling dirt-bags, which I later learned was FAR from reality. I would have been a great excavator operator and I would have gotten along with everyone too. Oh well!
It's a shame you did not become an excavator or even an escalator mechanic. I LOVE escalators. I can spend all day running up and down them the opposite way! And I love the ones at the airport that are flat. If I don't get caught that is! :D
I never knew that excavators were stereotyped. That is a real shame. Hopefully you enjoy what you do now. Is it a coincidence that elevator, excavator and escalator are all almost the same word? Someone needs a write a poem about that! :D


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2013
Age: 68
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,757
Location: pueblo colorado

30 Sep 2013, 6:12 pm

Did we all have the same givers of advice? Seems that way. lol



kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,040
Location: Maine, USA

30 Sep 2013, 6:38 pm

Gonna have to chime in with my two favorites: 1. as mentioned, Be Yourself and 2. Think Positively

Sometimes I go to my parents for advice.... not sure why, it usually just ends up confusing me. This is gonna sound strange but I had my Dad tell me that I should pay my Mom money I owe her even though I physically in reality have zero money aside from bills and food, so that she sees I went out of my way to please her and pay her back.... We had a bit of an argument as to why I should fork over my last $20 on earth (my parents are quite well-off) just to prove a point... I thought it was ludicrous. Anyway, I still owe my Mom a small amount of money and as soon as I'm not more than one month behind on all of my bills, she'll get it back. And til then, obviously I can't borrow money and I'm on her "bad side" til I repay my loan.... [seriously I wish relationships were independent of money!]



jk1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,817

30 Sep 2013, 6:41 pm

CBT, if I could call it advice, was pretty useless for me because it's mostly just common sense that I already know. So it was pretty disappointing.

I have very few friends and more than once I was advised to go out and meet people to make friends. That was an absolutely useless piece of advice because going out and meeting people is what has made me fearful of people. Bullying, ridicule, ostracism and abuse are what I get when I go out and meet people.

People often give useless pieces of advice because they have no idea of the actual problem that someone has. They cannot see the problem from the perspective of the person who is having the problem.