Does anyone here fit the aspergers stereotype?

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 6:13 am

ChristinaTheHobbit wrote:
I am also borrowing Redrobin's list since I don't have very good words of my own to describe how I fit, or rather don't fit, into the stereotype.

I´ll steal it too.

Great at putting together complex jigsaw puzzles. Yes
Loved stacking things as a child.Loved placing them in order.
Love technical manuals and maps. Yes
Love science. Would love to concentrate on geology.
Hate eye contact and being in crowds. I am not keen on too much of any of it.
Awkward. Sometimes
Eccentric. Sometimes, I guess
Great difficulty expressing myself. No.
Was bullied at school. Yes. First physically and verbally. Later socially-verbally.
Pedantic. It has become less over the years.
Aloof. No
Difficulty making friends or being liked. Not now. As a child and youngster, always..
Strange interests. naaaah, I don´t think so, - only periodically.
Can spend huge amounts of time engrossed in my interests. Yes,
Don't like loud music because it overloads my ears. Absolutely hate it and I run away from it.
Can't stand certain smells that many NTs like. Yes, but the shutdown of my sense of smell has taken care of that.
Get headaches from certain chemicals that don't bother other people. No
Sensitive skin. Sometimes.
Irritable bowel syndrome. No
Really don't understand NTs and their social rules. Amen!
Many basic social interaction protocols are not instinctive. Yes, I have to learn what most NTs find instinctual.
Naturally clumsy. No, - apart from a bad handwriting and a strange tendency to knock things over.
Slow at learning sports. Yes. No ball eye and hopeless on the green. Dont like balancing acts. Can´t mirror movements. Only force: Running.
Pretty bad at reading expressions on faces. I'm decent enough to get by.
Was slow to learn hygiene. Bop-bop, - A little.
I don't learn the way other people do. I am best as autodidact learner.
I didn't have bad enough tantrums or meltdowns to get identified as autistic during childhood. Yes. I was very temperamental and stubborn, but no meltdowns.
Didn't have as noticeable stimming activity. No
Learned language on time. Yes
Savantism Music: At 8-9 months I could sing in tune and at three I could hold a concert in my head, see it as a graphic score and sing along with different voices.
Generally quiet and don't talk loud. Sometimes, and sometimes the opposite..[/quote]

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Oct 2013, 9:15 am

I'll contribute to the surge in list theft.

Great at putting together complex jigsaw puzzles. Not really. I've always lacked the patience for and never derived much enjoyment from jigsaw puzzles. I'm good at some complex "puzzles" that serve some practical purpose, though, like solving certain technical problems.
Loved stacking things as a child No, not as such. I liked playing with Lego and the like, but I don't think I was in the habit of just stacking for the sake of it.
Love technical manuals and maps. Yes, definitely.
Love science I like science, but it's rare for me to take it past pop-sci level. I like technology better.
Hate eye contact and being in crowds. Yes.
Awkward Probably. I'm not always aware of exactly how I come across to people, but I do get odd looks at times.
Eccentric Yes.
Great difficulty expressing myself. Depends on what I'm trying to express. I do much better with concrete, technical things than with emotions, and I express myself better about anything in writing than in speech.
Was bullied at school. Yes.
Pedantic. Depends. I can be very pedantic about language and some technical subjects, though I've gotten better at reining it in when it's not appropriate. In many other things I'm downright scruffy and sloppy.
Aloof Yes.
Difficulty making friends or being liked. Yes, kind of. Very much so when I grew up in the middle of nowhere, but it has gotten easier now I've transplanted myself to a place with more eccentrics, nerds/geeks and the like around.
Strange interests I'm not sure. What makes an interest strange?
Can spend huge amounts of time engrossed in my interests. Yes.
Don't like loud music because it overloads my ears Yes, unless I choose the music. Even then I think I listen with the volume set lower than many people prefer. Loud music in places like bars make conversation impossible because I just can't hear what anyone is saying.
Can't stand certain smells that many NTs like I don't believe so. My sense of smell was never all that good, but I seem to lean the opposite way: I can tolerate, and sometimes even enjoy, a lot of smells most people seem to dislike.
Get headaches from certain chemicals that don't bother other people No, not that I know of.
Sensitive skin. Yes, kind of. I always had to remove the tags at the back of the neck in t-shirts as a kid. Now I can tolerate them better, at least if they're reasonably soft and not scratchy. I greatly prefer wearing soft materials in general.
Irritable bowel syndrome. No.
Really don't understand NTs and their social rules. Yes, indeed I have trouble with that.
Many basic social interaction protocols are not instinctive. Yes, for sure.
Naturally clumsy Yes. Not disablingly so, but I have to make a big effort to avoid knocking things over, missing the cup/glass when pouring drinks, etc.
Slow at learning sports. Yes. I never really got good at any sport.
Pretty bad at reading expressions on faces. Yes, but not completely incapable. I guess I've learned something over the years.
Was slow to learn hygiene. Somewhat. Not that terrible.
I don't learn the way other people do Yes, I tend to go about it differently from most people. I usually have to teach myself things as it's rare for anyone to provide the right kind of instruction. I need to be presented with the/a practical use for something first, then break it down into the concepts used to get there, which seems to be the opposite way most schools do it.
I didn't have bad enough tantrums or meltdowns to get identified as autistic during childhood. Yes. I really disliked authority and often rebelled against it (even long before my teens) but the tantrums didn't get all that extreme. I could sure be stubborn though. Still can, but I have more control over it.
Didn't have as noticeable stimming activity. I don't think I had anything people would identify as stimming. Nervous habits, yes, which might actually be my way of masking my stimming.
Learned language on time. Yes.
Savantism No, not really, although I sometimes surprise people with my general affinity for language.
Generally quiet and don't talk loud Yes, though I can yell really loud if I feel it's needed. I tend not to talk for the sake of it; small talk is very difficult for me. If I have something I want to get across, that's a different matter.