Think I still have subtle deficits with theory of mind

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2013, 7:21 am

I mean I do understand theory of mind, that other people can have different viewpoints and knowledge than I do. But I still make mistakes when it comes to putting it in practice, one is that I have trouble believing someone could hold really illogical beliefs. Not like faith or believing in god, more everyday practical things.

I was wondering if anyone else feels this way?

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2013, 8:08 am

Difficulty understanding the thoughts and mindsets of others is a fundamental human trait, and certainly not limited to those with AS. There's a reason that "culture shock" is a thing.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:43 pm

<--- Cannot fathom what anyone is thinking.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:50 pm

Well you must be doing something right. How does. What kind of illogical beliefs are we talking about?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 2:21 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

I have a hard time recognizing that others ARE thinking, until they speak. :?

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 2:42 pm

Willard wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

I have a hard time recognizing that others ARE thinking, until they speak. :?

Me too! Never realized that's what it was... people just come up to me and they're blank until they talk.

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2013, 3:06 pm

It is most prominent for me when I am explaining to someone how to do things. I am completely unable to work out which things are obvious to the other person and which are not so I end up describing every step of the process in minute detail.

Looking back at certain times when I have done this I realize how patronizing and boring I must sound :oops: but at the time I really can't stop myself from doing it.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2013, 3:53 pm

foxfield wrote:
It is most prominent for me when I am explaining to someone how to do things. I am completely unable to work out which things are obvious to the other person and which are not so I end up describing every step of the process in minute detail.

Looking back at certain times when I have done this I realize how patronizing and boring I must sound :oops: but at the time I really can't stop myself from doing it.

yeah me too. and i'm really not trying to be grandiose or patronizing. i'm just trying to be thorough.

i never was insecure about my intelligence, so i never had problems asking questions or having things explained to me. i never felt deficient about it and all i want to do is impart to someone else the same joy i feel in learning, and i'm trying to be thorough about it. but so often it seems to come across differently, as some kind of criticism.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2013, 3:53 pm

foxfield wrote:

yeah me too. and i'm really not trying to be grandiose or patronizing. i'm just trying to be thorough.

i never was insecure about my intelligence, so i never had problems asking questions or having things explained to me. i never felt deficient about it and all i want to do is impart to someone else the same joy i feel in learning, and i'm trying to be thorough about it. but so often it seems to come across differently, as some kind of criticism.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks