Stimming Suggestions--alternatives to theraputty?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

PowderHound
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2013, 10:20 pm

I stim a lot when I'm studying or thinking hard, and I tend to twirl my hair and run my fingers through it. Unfortunately, the more intensely I'm thinking, the harder I do it, and the less I pay attention to it. I'm getting to a point in my life where my hair falls out a little too easily, and I've been pulling it out without realizing it. It's pretty discouraging to have productive study sessions at the cost of my hairline.

I tried playing with theraputty, but after 15 minutes it starts to dissolve and my hands get covered with sticky blue stuff. Most stress balls I have seen don't seem that great, and I would probably tear one open and make a mess after 15 minutes anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions?

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2013, 10:55 pm

Silly putty is really great, I do not have the problem that you describe with the "theraputty" when I play for long periods of time with my silly putty. :)

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 11:05 pm

Wear a wig.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 7:02 am

Is your theraputty old? Maybe try replacing it.

singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2013, 7:17 am

get a kneaded eraser (in art supplies). they last forever.

conchscooter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2013, 6:15 am

Muslims call them worry beads (in English) and Catholics call them rosaries. Used as prayer prompts they are beads on strings or small chains. You could reproduce a secular version at a craft store to avoid offending all those easily annoyed religious sensibilities, all for very little money and make them as strong as you like with none of the religious overtones. If someone asks tell them you use worry beads to help you think. I am a former catholic and I liked the feel of the beads slipping through my fingers. The rosary didn't help me do the stations of the cross but it did help me relax. These days I just mangle pens so maybe I should follow my own advice!

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 9:40 am

My theraputty doesn't do that...weird.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 6:36 pm

I like the idea of Silly Putty, too...and you know, if you smear Silly Putty over newspaper comics and peel it back up again, the pictures will come up on the Silly Putty. :D

...Anyway, somethings I like to stim with are small plushies (like one that fits in a hand) or small plastic or flocked toys. My Calico Critters cat is perfect for this. :D It also helps that they're all items that I associate a feeling of safety and security with.

ETA: I love those kneaded erasers, too - whenever we used them in art class, I always got in trouble for molding my erasers into little animal shapes instead of doing my work. :lol:

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 12:45 am

I love smooth glass like beads. I rub it in my fingers and I can keep a piece in my pocket discreetly.

Wreck It Ralph

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 1:33 am

One of the things I to for stemming in public is to do fake yoga exercises and crack my knuckles. At the office. I sit and balance on a 95cm yoga ball and when I need to stem. I just bounce while riding it. It's the best stem relief you can get.

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2013, 9:40 pm

I twirl my pen in my fingers and sometimes chew on it at work. Chewing tobacco helps me cut down on the pen chewing a bit.I really chew on my pen and twirl it between my fingers when it gets really busy.

Zephyo

17 Oct 2013, 12:39 am

You could always try a tennis ball. More resistance than a stress ball, but it might have too much resistance if you aren't used to it. Also nice to toss around, though you might wanna do that outside if there are noise issues.