Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 7:21 am

If Autism History Month, can we forbid anything by Autism Speaks?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 11:06 am

Asperger96 wrote:

Probably not since they have boatloads of money

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 11:15 am

micfranklin wrote:
Learning more about autism and why it's not a defect but an alternative viewpoint is the bottom line, that's all people really need to know.

Is it that you're not thinking about people on the AS who feel that it IS a defect and a disability when you make this claim, or that you're claiming they're wrong and they themselves aren't thinking about it properly either?

Poor motivation

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 11:21 am

There is actually a lot of history of autism.

It's not just "I'm autistic and here now", its how were people treated in the 70s? How did we get to where we are now? How did disability rights get to where we are now? What were the differences between Kanner and Asperger? What about the deinstitutionalization process? What about murder of autistic people by family members? What about the history of what people thought autism was caused by? What about how autism rights has been lagging behind other disability rights?

These are topics I came up with by listing possible ideas of things to look about without stopping typing there. There is actually quite a bit there and a lot of it is actually very relevant to us if looked at in the right light.

I'm planning on writing on at least one of these topics if I have the resources and time to this month. I'm still trying to get my ASDay post written. But, I know a post I'd love to write if I can get it to work.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 12:03 pm

Asperger96 wrote:

As long as general society perceives autism as a mental defect and in need of a cure, then no!

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 12:10 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
Asperger96 wrote:

As long as general society perceives autism as a mental defect and in need of a cure, then no!

But what law allows them to put out Anti-Autism propoganda while preventing us from making anti-autism speaks propoganda?

I always though turnabout was fair play?