Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 12:09 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
What I've heard from people over the years:

What I've recently heard since my diagnosis:
1. You don't have Asperger's.
2. I have all those problems too.
3. Why do you have to pathologize everything?
4. You're saying you have Asperger's to get attention.
5. I don't know why you need a diagnosis to prove to yourself that you're weird.
6. You're using this as an excuse.

If the pre diagnoses me met the me of today I would have never said those things to him but I would have thought 3,4 and 6. In addition I would have thought that inward looking psychological stuff is a strange thing for a very hetro guy to be into (If I knew me was hetro). The last one I am dead sure about because I thought the very same thing when my boss told me "I was a little bit autistic" in the late 90's. Rudeness I don't like and never did, but who am I judge an NT negatively for being clueless?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 2:13 am

doofy wrote:
droppy wrote:
"You must be very high-functioning"
"I would have never guessed it"
What's so offensive about those?

I never get the first but would be offended if I did. I often get the second, usually accompanied by "but you look fine to me".

They are offensive because they are invalidating. I've chosen to share something - usually mental health problems - and a response along the lines of "I would never have guessed it" makes me feel unheard. I don't share this stuff for fun, it involves trust and is hard work. And I'm usually sharing because someone asks "what I do". So I tell them I'm on govt disability benefits. Their response makes me feel like a free loading scrounger.

And even without this context it's offensive:
I'm trying to tell you something, not start an argument... So occasionally I will ratchet it up a bit and try to "convince" them, which is usually a bad move cos they've already decided I'm OK and that it's "all in my mind".

I don't mind someone telling me "it's all in your mind", because I have learnt to respond by telling them that they only exist in my mind also...

I concur with this. It's also taken offensively because they're basically saying, "You seem okay even in spite of your autism," as if autism were some horrible disease to be ashamed of or overcome. It's like they're telling us they still like us even though we're defective.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

lucious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2013, 3:55 am

People can just generally act as if you are not even worthy of being, or existence.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 6:08 am

''You've just got to get off your bum'' - to an Aspie who is reliable and efficient in his or her job but only does part time because of anxiety and lack of social skills that is holding them back. In other words, a lot of high-functioning Aspies get called lazy.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:05 am

droppy wrote:
Those that werevideo and I've been actually told IRL:
“Is your parent here?”
“I’ve seen Rain Man”
“You look so weird”
“People can see you”
“You’re autistic? I’m so sorry, that’s so sad”
“You can’t expect us to accommodate all of your needs”
“What do you mean you don’t wanna hug?”
“I have read Temple Grandin’s book. Do you like cows?”
“Can you count these toothpicks?”
“Autistic people are so honest”
“What are you, ret*d?”

I've had that one thrown at me at least twice during my high school years. Why? Because I didn't really talk to anyone I didn't know that well, or in fact talk much at all other than a few greetings and comments.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:30 am

micfranklin wrote:
droppy wrote:
Those that werevideo and I've been actually told IRL:
“Is your parent here?”
“I’ve seen Rain Man”
“You look so weird”
“People can see you”
“You’re autistic? I’m so sorry, that’s so sad”
“You can’t expect us to accommodate all of your needs”
“What do you mean you don’t wanna hug?”
“I have read Temple Grandin’s book. Do you like cows?”
“Can you count these toothpicks?”
“Autistic people are so honest”
“What are you, ret*d?”

I've had that one thrown at me at least twice during my high school years. Why? Because I didn't really talk to anyone I didn't know that well, or in fact talk much at all other than a few greetings and comments.

I just laugh. "Ha! Me Retarted? Out of the two of us, I'm the retarted one? Have you ever heard yourself speak? Seriously?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 8:48 am

Mike1 wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:
The other one is the empathy/compassion thing. I become very upset very quickly when someone defines "empathy," literally according to Webster's "the ability to see through someone's else's eyes," as "the ability to care for other people." NO. The ability to care for other people is COMPASSION. I have plenty of that. What I am not so good at is looking out through another person's eyes-- the best I can do is to put myself in their position, think about what I would want, and try to give it to them. That, or think about what has been satisfactory in the past with that individual, or what generally works well with others. I have learned, unfortunately, not to attempt to show compassion, because what would make me feel better isn't going to work on a highly sensitive NT. Now, for trying to avoid making a mistake, I become "uncaring, unhelpful, and aloof."

But no one can see through someone else's eyes, without using advanced surgery to attach them to their brain. Even then, they wouldn't have a very good understanding of that person's perspective on life, because they still wouldn't have their brain, their thoughts, or their feelings. It seems kind of narcissistic for someone to assume that they have a good understanding of the problems of other people. In order for someone to assume that, they'd have to be self-obsessed with their own problems to the extent that they'd be unconcerned with the fact that other people have problems different from their own. That shows a great degree of ignorance and selfishness, in my opinion.

My Hubby likes to comment that what is being defined as "empathy" is actually "clairvoyance."

I think he's right.

My opinion on empathy?? All ANYONE can do is put themselves in what they know of someone else's position and try to give what they would like to get. This, actually, IS EMPATHY. The ability to crawl inside someone else's head and look out through their eyes would be "telempathy," "clairvoyance," "mind-reading," or some other supernatural power.

The difference between us and NT's is a matter of preferences, and it actually goes both ways. An NT will do a good job of showing empathy to an NT, because, as a general rule, they react in the same ways and want the same things. This breaks down, of course, over barriers of cultural understandings and past traumas and such. A spectrumite will, in the same way, oftentimes be more successful than an NT in showing empathy to a spectrumite. For the same reasons.

I think ToM research is slowly supplanting the "empathy" canard. It's just still imperfect itself. I read, somewhere, the statement that ASD and NT lack "an accurate theory of each other's minds." I stood there slack-jawed for a minute, because it was the first time I heard it stated as a mutual thing, instead of "People with ASD lack Theory of Mind," with theory of mind being defined as the ability to understand that others have minds of their own.

gonewild
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Oct 2013, 10:22 am

I often forget why being Asperger can be dreadful, and then I come to WP and am reminded of the awful things social people say. It is good to be reminded because a cloud of unease or anxiety will accumulate around me and I slip into blaming myself, as if there is no cause for my anxiety except a malfunctioning nervous system. Then I read what other Aspies have experienced and remember how mean people can be; how strange the NT world is, how irritating and confusing the 'rules' are, and how pointless all those rules seem to me. It's like having sand paper rubbed on my skin, like having a stick poked at me, like being locked in a cage. It's not as if the NT world is working well - what a horrible model - look at Congress!

Do wild animals suffer the same reactions when captured and confined? I think they must. Has anyone watched Blackfish - the documentary about killer whales?

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2013, 3:51 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:

I think ToM research is slowly supplanting the "empathy" canard. It's just still imperfect itself. I read, somewhere, the statement that ASD and NT lack "an accurate theory of each other's minds." I stood there slack-jawed for a minute, because it was the first time I heard it stated as a mutual thing, instead of "People with ASD lack Theory of Mind," with theory of mind being defined as the ability to understand that others have minds of their own.

To be honest, I think NTs have poor ToM even with other NTs...

gonewild
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Oct 2013, 3:56 pm

NTs seem so gullible - especially when an authority figure lies. They'll believe anything!

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 4:54 pm

gonewild wrote:
I often forget why being Asperger can be dreadful, and then I come to WP and am reminded of the awful things social people say. It is good to be reminded because a cloud of unease or anxiety will accumulate around me and I slip into blaming myself, as if there is no cause for my anxiety except a malfunctioning nervous system. Then I read what other Aspies have experienced and remember how mean people can be; how strange the NT world is, how irritating and confusing the 'rules' are, and how pointless all those rules seem to me. It's like having sand paper rubbed on my skin, like having a stick poked at me, like being locked in a cage. It's not as if the NT world is working well - what a horrible model - look at Congress!

Do wild animals suffer the same reactions when captured and confined? I think they must. Has anyone watched Blackfish - the documentary about killer whales?

Yeah, that's why I like coming here, too, after a day of being misunderstood and pushed around by my NT compatriots (well, I wouldn't call them "compatriots...."). It's nice to be reminded that it's not all my fault. :D

Btw, I have indeed seen Blackfish - watched it online. It's very insightful and beautifully done, but pretty sad. :(

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:11 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
doofy wrote:
droppy wrote:

I never get the first but would be offended if I did. I often get the second, usually accompanied by "but you look fine to me".

They are offensive because they are invalidating. I've chosen to share something - usually mental health problems - and a response along the lines of "I would never have guessed it" makes me feel unheard. I don't share this stuff for fun, it involves trust and is hard work. And I'm usually sharing because someone asks "what I do". So I tell them I'm on govt disability benefits. Their response makes me feel like a free loading scrounger.

I'm trying to tell you something, not start an argument... So occasionally I will ratchet it up a bit and try to "convince" them, which is usually a bad move cos they've already decided I'm OK and that it's "all in my mind".

I don't mind someone telling me "it's all in your mind", because I have learnt to respond by telling them that they only exist in my mind also...

I concur with this. It's also taken offensively because they're basically saying, "You seem okay even in spite of your autism," as if autism were some horrible disease to be ashamed of or overcome. It's like they're telling us they still like us even though we're defective.

What is the right response? What if you didn't realize the person was on the AS? Why are you putting more into their words than what they said? Why would it make you feel unheard, as if the person you told will automatically know how hard it was for you to say it? What if the person you told has little to no inkling what autism is?
I get the feeling of being a freeloader as when I was depressed, keeping a job was quite hard, and what with the guilt about not keeping my jobs already, casual conversations about 'what I do' were never fun. But guess I never told people about my depression, not anyone but fairly close friends. I made the mistake of telling an interviewer once when asked about my work history. I was always looking for work, (even if I wasn't) and when pressed I'd vaguely say 'oh, not too sure'.

Poor motivation

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:27 pm

cavernio wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:
doofy wrote:
droppy wrote:

What is the right response? What if you didn't realize the person was on the ASD? Why are you putting more into their words than what they said? Why would it make you feel unheard, as if the person you told will automatically know how hard it was for you to say it?
I get the feeling of being a freeloader as when I was depressed, keeping a job was quite hard, and what with the guilt about not keeping my jobs already, those conversations were never fun. But guess I never told people about my depression, not anyone but fairly close friends. I made the mistake of telling an interviewer once when asked about my work history.

The right response to the sentence, "I have AS" could be any one of a number of things, from, "Really, that's interesting, I don't know much about it, explain that to me," to, "Oh, I see, I heard once that people with AS have/can do/don't like X, is that right?" All they have to do is show that they care, and that they still consider us equals, and not just in spite of our AS.

As for feeling unheard, the problem is not with their attempt at empathy, it's their lack of follow-up. They say things like, "I totally know what you're going through," then leave it without checking to see if their experience even remotely matched yours. It would be a simple thing to say, "I think I know what that's like; X happened to me once and it felt like this; is that what you feel?" Then at least we'd get more of a chance to explain that yes, their experience sounds similar, or no, they're way off the mark and it's a million times worse than that. A two-way dialogue instead of a trite expression of generic empathy should not be too much to ask under most normal circumstances.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

gonewild
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Oct 2013, 7:07 pm

As Aspies we expect NT to behave rationally - that is, listen to what someone says and respond in a logical way. That's not what they do. NT life is hierarchical - people are arranged in a pyramid of "value." The typical response of an NT is to either talk down to a "lower" value person or flatter a "higher" value person. Even in a group of more or less "equal" value friends, there is constant conflict over who is "more equal." If this sounds like a middle school lunch room, that's exactly right! Once you volunteer that you are of lower value (admitting to being different, having mental illness, Autism or other "weirdness") an NT will talk down to you and forever think of you as a lower person. They will deny this with many of the things they say, (an obligation in the social rules) which sound complimentary, such as "You must be high functioning" or "Gee, you look normal," but which are truly a put down. It's automatic - NTs follow social rules. Genuine responses, candor, open-mindedness, curiosity and equality are simply not in their rule book. In fact, these attributes are offensive to them.

I think it's a good thing to know for self protection and peace of mind that people like us rank somewhere below pond scum and flesh eating bacteria in the NT hierarchy.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:09 pm

The one sentence that drives me up the wall more than any other is "Suck it up."

Really?

That makes me want to tear my hair out when someone says that to me.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:56 pm

"I just don't understand how you developed autism as an adult" - my Mother. The same person who developed a strategy of dousing me in cold water to deal with my meltdowns when I was a child (it worked actually - I allowed her this practice as it did calm me down); whose pep-talk to me was "If Helen Keller could do what she did, you can do it too" and who is probably on the spectrum herself so how do I like them apples - not very much at all.

also, any sentence from anyone that begins with "Can't you just.."

NO. I cannot JUST anything. f**k off. Now.