Is it weird to see complaints about having to stay inside?

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Mar 2020, 5:49 pm

I've currently been almost totally inside since last Oct, and even before then only went out when really needed (or forgot something essential)... so, it's bizarre for me to read people even describing this experience as 'horrible' (someone said on a bbc article), after my relationship ended I felt lonely, but after a year or so got used to it and presumably the norm shifted and didn't feel as bad. But, even then, I only once felt horrible because a relationship ended... not solely due to staying inside... like, how often did these people go out that they felt so 'horrible' being inside? Is being outside in noise and pollution worth risking a potentially deadly virus over? Personally, being in all that noise is hell, but apparently for some people it's the opposite...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 7:08 pm

I'm on the spectrum but the thought of having to stay inside for 14 days panics me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 7:11 pm

Imagine if we didn't have the Internet? Or even TV?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 7:25 pm

I'm with you, OP. I could stay in my house forever and not be unhappy. I'm very reclusive. It wouldn't be as fun without the internet but I'd be more than comfortable reading and knitting or staring at the wall.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 8:29 pm

I have long believed that most people have a fear of being by themselves. I don't mean a fear of being lonely. I mean a fear of solitary time. Many of us, myself included, love solitary time and actually need it to function. So, yes, it's bizarre to me that people fear staying home and not being able to go out in public on a regular and continued basis.

Normally I would say "to each their own" with most things; however, I do believe it's a dysfunction when people have a fear of being by themselves. It's a flaw.

To this end, my wife and I agreed very early on that we would require our children to spend solitary time in their rooms on a fairly regular basis. This one hour of "quiet time" is not a punishment. It's essential, necessary and healthy time to be by yourself and learn to enjoy being solitary. I believe it contributes to being a more stable person, actually.

I know people, in fact I have a direct relative that must always be "on the go" and is rarely home which includes her children. The children are in a near constant state of environmental stimulation and are only by themselves when they sleep.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 2:24 am

My house feels claustrophobic sometimes

There is a risk of coronovirus if you go outside

The risk might not be high enough to justify quarantine

But the risk is different for everyone and constantly changing

Not everyone with coronovirus immediately drops dead

Sooner or later everyone, with or without coronovirus, drops dead

It sounds like "much Ado about nothing" to me and I feel like it's an :evil: overreaction :evil: to quarantine. But I often make wrong statements.

:mrgreen:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 5:59 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
My house feels claustrophobic sometimes

There is a risk of coronovirus if you go outside

The risk might not be high enough to justify quarantine

But the risk is different for everyone and constantly changing

Not everyone with coronovirus immediately drops dead

Sooner or later everyone, with or without coronovirus, drops dead

It sounds like "much Ado about nothing" to me and I feel like it's an :evil: overreaction :evil: to quarantine. But I often make wrong statements.

:mrgreen:

Actually you are right.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 7:03 am

I am perfectly happy to sit at home by myself normally, even without a pandemic on the rise. I am far more fearful of being a vector for the disease, as I work at a major hospital emergency department, often at triage, and routinely am seeing more people with it. Given how recently a GP here was lynched by media for continuing working whilst having very mild symptoms which later turned out to be coronavirus, I don't really want to meet a similar fate. Plus I have elderly parents and I certainly don't want to pass it on to them.

I'm paranoid with every cough or mild discomfort that it might be the first sign of illness. At work we are currently working all the time now in full personal protective equipment, but there are too frequently breaches in infection control that come from poor design of hospitals in general, to how frequently infection control policies are changing at the moment from day to day. Even for myself, it's difficult to keep up to date with how our infection control practices are changing and more information is discovered about the virus spread.

I'm not a stranger to people's selfishness either, so I'm entirely not surprised to see people complain about having to stay isolated. There's too many people who aren't taking this seriously enough, including people I work with. I'm fully expecting to contract the virus myself at some stage and at that point I'll do whatever I need to to isolate myself.

choeft2018
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 7:36 am

I stayed inside for 5 years when I was ill. Excluding walking the dog in an empty field & seeing the doctor & seeing relatives.

I don't find it hard but I am finding it harder than I did then.

I keep thinking how awful it would have been to be 'shut in' as a plague victim. They didn't have: internet/TV/telephone/electric light/newspaper. In many cases they didn't have: wax candles/literacy/windows...

That would be awful.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 7:39 am

Magna wrote:
I have long believed that most people have a fear of being by themselves. I don't mean a fear of being lonely. I mean a fear of solitary time. Many of us, myself included, love solitary time and actually need it to function. So, yes, it's bizarre to me that people fear staying home and not being able to go out in public on a regular and continued basis.

Normally I would say "to each their own" with most things; however, I do believe it's a dysfunction when people have a fear of being by themselves. It's a flaw.

Yeah, I agree.

They say that if you can't stand being by yourself, you're in bad company :wink:

Now, keeping in mind that extroverts need interaction with others to recharge (just like we need solitude to do the same thing), I've still noticed is that many people are terrified of being alone with their thoughts: this often leads to introspection, which can be a terrifying experience for those not used to it. People will use all kind of distractions to avoid it.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 8:33 am

Staying inside has always been my preference. I only go out when I have to, and since opportunity allows me to stay indoors for the most part, I happily do just that.

To me, it's beyond weird to hear the whining about having to stay indoors for 2-3 weeks. I just roll my eyes when I hear these so called adults whine like toddlers: "I'm so bored!" These people can't have a life.
Granted, my stimulation needs are lower that most people's, but in this day and age with books, games, TV and the internet, it should definitely be possible to engage yourself in something.

I actually listened to a YouTube video today, where a guy in China talked about his experience with the virus and the quarantine. He mentioned not seeing people in the streets and if there were any, they weren't in crowds and avoided talking to others. I immediately thought that it sounded wonderful, and then he went on to saying that he thought it was sad. I am quite different! :lol:
(I'm referring to lack of crowds and being left alone here, not the reason for it; there is nothing wonderful about a virus that can be deadly to those of us who have certain illnesses or are of a certain age.)

Just to end this post on a positive note, I read online yesterday that no less than 3 people aged 100 to 103 had recovered from Covid-19. I thought that was very uplifting to hear! :D

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 9:53 am

I spent much of my life indoors reading, writing or the internet. While I don't regret having a good knowledge base, I do regret not being more active. Now that I have a more active life, being indoors all the time would be boring. I also made a lot of friends at my activities over the past five years and don't like being all alone.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 9:56 am

I do need my downtime to recharge, but too much would make me lazy. It would inhibit my social growth.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 10:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Books and LPs Kraftie.

Always have the complete works of Shakespeare in your house in case of quarantine :D

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 10:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I've been expecting a power cut. Not for any real reason just Murphy's law.