Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2013, 5:04 pm

...and what's your track record with it? Do you trust easily? What does it take for someone to break that trust? Do you ever get an instinctive sense that you shouldn't trust someone, without knowing why?

I frequently find myself not trusting someone for no reason at all... and then they do something which corroborates my initial feeling about them. Like this woman I work with; I got a bad feeling about her, and then she started trash talking someone else we work with. But then I started to think that my perception is wonky, because many other people seem to like her, so maybe there's something I'm missing out on? (I self doubt a lot, too).

Anyways, what's your experience with trusting people? And more importantly, are there patterns among us?

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 5:06 pm

it takes a long time for someone to gain my trust, if ever.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 5:53 pm

I don't trust anyone. It's just laziness, at the end of the day..if you think about it Trust means not having to question.. I am happy to always question everything

dobyfm
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2013, 6:01 pm

I have issues trusting people.

singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2013, 6:03 pm

I have a hard time trusting people. Those I have trusted, always let me down.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 6:16 pm

I don't trust easily, but it's hard to lose once I do trust someone. I try to be forgiving of those close to me.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 6:54 pm

I don't trust anyone. I've had family members and "best friends" lie to me, stab me in the back and not keep my secrets. After learning my lessons, I don't trust anymore. If you decide to be good to me though, I will appreciate it and treat you well back. If you break my trust one time though, I'm moving on from you.

kapo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2013, 7:22 pm

I feel like I trust everyone... and the level of trust between between is pretty much equal.

but maybe I just trust no one lol

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2013, 7:32 pm

I don't trust easily, but of course people probably don't 'trust' me either.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 7:51 pm

Trust is irrational, emotional crap as far as I'm concerned. If I have to "trust" someone with a particular thing then I consider their "track record", any potential motives for wrongdoing, their personality, etc and do a risk-benefit analysis to determine if it's worth it in that situation, making sure to keep an eye on them. I'm not going to unconditionally trust anybody just because they're a friend or family or something.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 7:56 pm

I naturally don't trust anyone with anything, it takes a great effort to trust someone right off the bat. I tend to trust professionals and figures of authority more-so though.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2013, 8:28 pm

It depends on the level of trust for me. What the subject is and have they proven themselves trustworthy.

Those people who seem to like this woman may not necessarily like her, but they may be nice to her because they know how much she can hurt someone's reputation. People like that are to be avoided and humored when forced to be in contact, never trusted.

Anyone who talks behind someone elses back will not hesitate to talk behind yours.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 8:35 pm

The way in which I trust someone depends on my ability to predict their future behavior. By redefining trust like this, I can trust different people in different ways. Having a simple and universal definition of trust makes no sense to me, especially when it becomes a switch with only two positions. People tend to keep doing what they've been doing, but I do make an effort to notice when they change.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 10:33 pm

coffeebean wrote:
I don't trust easily, but it's hard to lose once I do trust someone. I try to be forgiving of those close to me.

This

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

opal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 5:49 am

I'm not very trusting these days. I've been let down and backstabbed too many times

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2013, 5:58 am

Excluding my parents, I don't really trust anyone.