Do extremely social extroverted people make you sick?

Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

StuckWithin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2013, 5:44 pm

Another thing I am starting to understand is the dynamics of mob behavior. I could never figure groups out before, but now it's almost as if there is a "collective consciousness" when mobs (I use that term very lightly - groups of extremely extraverted people) all act the same way, even if what they are doing is against their convictions or stupid.

Being autistic, I have always been an indivdualist and so could never grasp why people did silly things when in large high pressure groups.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 5:54 pm

No, because I can be one at times. Part of it is due to having to interact with a lot of people on a daily basis.

Then I have done my job

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 6:10 pm

They wear me out but they don't make me sick, and I don't think I'm superior. I do prefer to avoid them for the most part, though. I have a very low social tolerance.
Funnily, my best friend is an extrovert.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 6:35 pm

There's only so much extrovertness one can take before you go nuts.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 6:51 pm

I don't mind extroverts that much, but do mind if they do not accept me well since I am introverted. In the past I have had really extroverted friends and even though I thought that the person was one of the nicest persons ever the non-stop talking could get on my nerves. It is just how it is I suppose. For an extreme extrovert I suppose an extreme introvert who never ever wants to discuss anything is annoying to them. Anyway I am amazed at cubicles in the work world and wonder how people are supposed to get their work done with all the visiting that goes on and noise. I prefer an office to myself and to be able to close the door at least an office I could escape to and get away from the cubicles. I got off topic.

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2013, 7:23 pm

Gazelle...funny what you said about cubicles and the visiting and socializing. I just commented about that in another post. To answer your question, they don't get any work done. At least not where I work. But they get raises because they know how to schmooze with the right people. I've tried the schmoozing too but it must be obvious that I don't know what I'm doing because it never gets me anywhere.

EQ: 17
You are very likely an Aspie

redriverronin
Toucan
Toucan

03 Nov 2013, 7:43 pm

I personally hate people who constantly BS all the time there whole lives revolve around acting and lying.

InKBlott
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2013, 7:56 pm

They don't make me sick as in my finding them distasteful. I might actually like them quite a lot. The problem is that if I allow them around me too much I begin to suffer from a rapidly declining emotional adjustment which can descend into a dangerous state of self hatred. I used to frequently received telephone calls from an extroverted friend. He often expressed that he highly regarded me, yet I eventually came to react to our conversations by hitting and cursing myself. At that point, one could say that I am literally sick. The problem is that it is very difficult to explain to highly extroverted people what is going on with me. They usually interpret my escalating pleas for mercy as rejection and react by going away completely. Despite the relief, it's painful to watch what seemed like a potential friendship crash and burn.

As a result, I've learned to keep highly extroverted people at arms length, however much I might like them. I suppose it is like someone who is diabetic leaving desert alone altogether no matter how delicious it looks, as indulging can only lead to problems.

CinnamonBrown
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2013, 11:21 am

StuckWithin wrote:
Yes.

The reason is that such people often get to set the agenda in the office, and then you are measured against them. When you prefer solitude and deep focusing on your work, you begin to be seen as the freak, not them.

Some people like the type you described seem to go a long way in getting social power in a workplace, even if those who interact with them don't truly like them very much. It's really weird.

Gosh, you spoke so much truth in this one post. You've perfectly described this girl I work with. She's the very definition of extrovert and I find her exhausting to be around.
Even though she and I hold the same position (a lowly position), she pretty much runs things. The thing is, she's extremely rude and unprofessional. She talks about sex all the time and words like n***a, sp*c, and f*g are always flying out of her mouth, but she never gets in trouble. She's just so offensive and obnoxious, but no one seems to call her out on it. I really don't get it.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 11:21 am

One example of extroversion being really annoying: my Twitter feed. I have friends who post something every 30 seconds, normally something I don't care about and to me just sounds like endless ranting or endless preaching.

enjoythesilence
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2013, 12:01 pm

They don't make me sick, but they do make me feel the need to retreat and regroup. I've just learned to stay away from extroverts, and not put myself into the position to be around a lot of them at once. But culturally, some extroverted stuff makes me feel insane. For example, I live in South Carolina- and there's this huge college football culture here. Every weekend my whole neighborhood is a loud, obnoxious tailgate party type of thing. And there's people driving around with flags on their cars throughout the whole area. A trip to the store is team-themed food everywhere. It really annoys me. I mean, if I walk around with "Comet Ison is Coming" t shirts or flags on my car, or make comet shaped cookies while I eagerly wait for the comet to arrive, I'm some kind of looney freak. but these people go batsh*t crazy every weekend, putting tiger tails and ears on their cars, only wearing orange and purple... screaming as they run through the neighborhood;... over a football team. To me, that is inanely stupid. That masses of Americans engage in this type of behavior is maddening to me. It makes me want to a) go hiking far in the mountains or b) curl into a ball, safe under my comforter to watch old Doctor Who episodes.

When is football season over?

steppinthrax

04 Nov 2013, 12:41 pm

StuckWithin wrote:
Another thing I am starting to understand is the dynamics of mob behavior. I could never figure groups out before, but now it's almost as if there is a "collective consciousness" when mobs (I use that term very lightly - groups of extremely extraverted people) all act the same way, even if what they are doing is against their convictions or stupid.

Being autistic, I have always been an indivdualist and so could never grasp why people did silly things when in large high pressure groups.

I hate mob behavior, I tend to see it a lot in the workplace. It seems a large group of people tend to follow the person who has the most influence. The decision chosen is based on politics and is often the most illogical solution for the problem.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 1:21 pm

Doesn't bother me unless they get into my personnal space.

StuckWithin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2013, 1:38 pm

CinnamonBrown wrote:
Gosh, you spoke so much truth in this one post. You've perfectly described this girl I work with. She's the very definition of extrovert and I find her exhausting to be around.
Even though she and I hold the same position (a lowly position), she pretty much runs things. The thing is, she's extremely rude and unprofessional. She talks about sex all the time and words like n***a, sp*c, and f*g are always flying out of her mouth, but she never gets in trouble. She's just so offensive and obnoxious, but no one seems to call her out on it. I really don't get it.

Maybe the others are intimidated by her assertiveness.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 1:56 pm

steppinthrax wrote:
I work around one of these, people, seems very annoying to me. Very extroverted, very social cracks jokes etc.....

No, I don't consider extroversion to be a negative. In fact most of my friends have been extroverts. Since I'm an introvert, about the only people I talk to, are people who talk to me. Of course being around extroverts can be over stimulating.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 3:15 pm

As a kid, I hated them and found them very confusing. Now, they are people that I tend to really like/admire.