Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

28 Jul 2013, 9:55 pm

We've all had some moments when your special interests come together, in some way. Discuss that here, whether it be when they happened, what you do, et al.
-----
This May, I've had the pleasure of going to San Jose, CA and visiting FanimeCon there (the anime con). And by stroke of luck thanks to the NHL lockout, I went to the San Jose Sharks/Los Angeles Kings playoff game at the nearby SAP Center (then the HP Pavillion). And this is one example of my special interests colliding; I got to indulge in two things! And I even thought about game shows during the whole thing, so that's three in one shot.

I just hope I can make it to a Canucks game one of these days, however..... tickets are so pricey, though!

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 10:18 pm

Oh, yeah. That was one of my best moments of 2013 right there, next to graduating from college.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 11:00 pm

wish I could afford to travel more often. :hmph:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 12:29 am

In the past, I often had two or three special interests at a time and always found some way to combine them. Possibly the weirdest example was when I was into Johnny Depp movies and MLP: FIM at the same time. I often daydreamed about scenarios where the Johnny Depp characters were married to human versions of the ponies... And made up what their children would be like... Looking back, it was a pretty childish and silly thing to daydream about... I'm almost embarrassed to talk about it... :?

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2013, 1:28 am

Going to Japan Expo is always a big special interest-gasm for me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 1:38 am

so you had enthusigasm for the expo?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 2:19 am

laughed at the title and post description,what about all the spectrumers who love trains/planes/cars? am certain theyd hate to see their special interests collide.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 1:02 pm

I meant it in a different sort of way. But that would be odd if any cars/trucks were involved.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 1:26 pm

I have combined my interests all the time as a kid and I see others with ASD do this as well...I think this is fairly common.

As a kid, many of the stories I would write for school involved different aspects of my imaginary worlds blending together with characters concepts often borrowed from movies and tv shows. For example: when I was 7-10 I was really obsessed with the patterns of women's bathing suit backs (weird, I know :P) and the characters from the animated Madeline series and Once Upon a Forest (a 90s kids film). I have a journal full of these characters going to the beach and pool with the bathing suit backs clearly in view. :P I also liked logos and malls, so there was one story where one of the Once Upon a Forest characters was living in an apartment above a mall food court with all of the restaurant logos done in detail.

One girl I know used to create stories about her special interests using quotes and dialogue from movies and TV shows she liked, which I thought was really cool because I could relate to them :)

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

alwaystomorrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2013, 1:30 pm

Anime conventions used to do that for me -- lots of different fandoms, not just anime-related ones -- AND people to geek out about Japan with! Sometimes there'd even be people who'd talk languages / dialects with you ...
But the older I get the more stressful I find the environment, plus very few people can keep up regarding 'my' Japan-related topics anymore, so I've pretty much stopped going. :( I miss it, though.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 11:21 am

Even though my interest in anime isn't as much as it was some five years ago, I still love it, and I still go for the social aspect; to meet new friends, that is.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 12:46 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
laughed at the title and post description,what about all the spectrumers who love trains/planes/cars? am certain theyd hate to see their special interests collide.

Yes.
To me the thread title was missleading.

I thought he was unhappy because his interests interfered with each other ('collided' ). But its that he is happy they intersected, or 'dovetailed', in a good way.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 7:56 pm

That's what I mean, 'come together'. :D

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 5:05 pm

Whenever I go to sports stadiums, I tend to incorporate thoughts of anime and game shows there, as well.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 6:17 pm

I often deliberately combine special interests in my fiction. For example, writing a vampire with a neurological disorder.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 7:44 pm

My most useful special interest has been human behavior, so the fact that I work as a therapist is awful helpful. I tend to bring in a lot of my special interests to use as metaphors or as safe ways of discussing real issues. I particularly like to use the plots of my favorite TV shows that highlight important aspects of my clients' lives and the story of the Titanic (particularly around making difficult choices, being prepared for worst case scenarios and/or the classic "tip of the iceberg" metaphor).