Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 7:05 pm

I have been bugged about this since my childhood. My mum and dad want to know about any of the girls in my life and my relationship with them. They claim my eyes "sparkle" when I see someone I "like". My sister got me to start dating someone and we never told our parents. I eventually broke up and I vowed to torture her when the time comes when she sees a guy she likes.

Do people ever bother you about your relationships with others, particularly, anyone that you could possibly be attracted to?

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 7:45 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
I have been bugged about this since my childhood. My mum and dad want to know about any of the girls in my life and my relationship with them. They claim my eyes "sparkle" when I see someone I "like". My sister got me to start dating someone and we never told our parents. I eventually broke up and I vowed to torture her when the time comes when she sees a guy she likes.

Do people ever bother you about your relationships with others, particularly, anyone that you could possibly be attracted to?

Yes. I hated it. Make it stop make the comments stop.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2013, 7:48 pm

It's just because you're 16. Seriously. Parents will be interested in your love life because that's part of growing up. Past a certain age, people are expected to pursue romantic relationships.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2013, 7:56 am

gretchyn wrote:
It's just because you're 16. Seriously. Parents will be interested in your love life because that's part of growing up. Past a certain age, people are expected to pursue romantic relationships.

Parents have never asked me about this to this day (age 29).

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2013, 9:20 am

Adamantus wrote:
gretchyn wrote:

Parents have never asked me about this to this day (age 29).

There may be a few reasons for that. I can pretty much guarantee you they're interested. But the culture in which they/you grew up may not allow for inquiries about it. Or (and I don't mean this to offend...I'm simply suggesting some reasons for your parents' seeming lack of interest) they might think that you are different/disabled/etc. enough that you may not find a mate, and therefore don't want to focus on it. Again, not a judgment. :) Or, they themselves could be private people and therefore offer more privacy to their child(ren).

I would say it's unusual for parents NOT to be interested in their children's love lives, at least where I am from. And while parents should definitely respect their children's privacy (unless their health or safety is in danger of course), they often pry anyway. My son is only 5, so I don't know what it will be like when he's old enough to want to find a mate. I think I will be interested in that I want him to be happy with whomever he decides to pursue, but as I am a private person I would not ask him about it unless he gave me an obvious opening to do so. But then again, I'm an unusual person.