Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Nick22
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2013, 5:01 pm

Hi

I've just received my diagnosis report, which "confirms a primary diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (Autism)". I must say it's come as a big relief as, although I cope really well as an adult, it does start to explain some of my preferences and difficulties. I wasn't sure whether the diagnosis meant I had PDD-NOS or whether it was autism. It said it was done using the ICD-10. I can only find "childhood autism" listed under PDD. Should I assume it is PDD-NOS.

Thanks for your help.

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2013, 5:45 pm

It sounds like the diagnosis is autism. "NOS" stands for Not Otherwise Specified, but it was specified as autism in your case. It likely would have said PDD-NOS if that were the diagnosis congruent with the evaluation.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:49 pm

Yep, it's just autism.

"Pervasive developmental disorder" or "autism spectrum disorder" is the general category. Autism (aka classic autism or autistic disorder) is one of the sub-categories. It's just confusing because "autism" is also another name for the entire group of PDDs.

By the way, PDD-NOS is also a type of autism. It's the type they use when you don't fit into any of the other categories.

The way they put it, though, your diagnosis is just regular autism.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Nick22
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2013, 1:51 am

Thanks - that clears things up. Much appreciated.