How many people with AS had/have difficulty with handwriting

Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

For those with Aspergers, did you have difficulty learning how to form letters?
Yes 77%  77%  [ 97 ]
No 23%  23%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 126

BLK95TA
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2014, 6:09 pm

I once got a D in handwriting in school. People who have read, or should i say tried to read my handwriting say it looks like something a doctor would write.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 7:46 pm

I don't recall having a problem learning to write, but I always found it painful and tiring. I just can't seem to hold a pen or pencil in a fashion that makes writing for any length of time comfortable.

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Feb 2014, 7:54 pm

My handwriting is atrocious. I attribute it to my deficits in fine motor skills, which is likely caused by having AS.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 8:24 pm

Wags wrote:
I hate writing.. mainly because my hand hurts every time I write. And yes I have bad handwriting, it's improved though, almost normal by now. I usually write in a mix or cursive and print.

When I was younger, I used to grip the pen so tight, that my hand would hurt as well.

As a child, I was such a perfectionist, that when writing a paper, if my writing wasn't perfect (without any cross-outs or mistakes or accidental stray pen marks), I would crumple it up and start over. I suppose, in some ways, this led me to have better penmanship, as I was writing and rewriting my reports multiple times.

Interestingly, when I was younger, I hated using pencils. I didn't like the feel of graphite on paper. So, I used pens for everything. I even did my math tests in pen. Fortunately, math was my best subject.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2014, 8:03 am

BLK95TA wrote:
I once got a D in handwriting in school.

well, that was good
In 1st and 2nd grade teachers didn't give any grades in handwriting; they started doing it in 3rd grade.
I usually got bad grades in handwriting. The first grade I got was an F and I remember me getting very nervous because the teacher told me I would have never made it through middle school with that bad handwriting. F*** her, I'm in 11th grade now :lol:
Anyway, I usually got Fs or Es and sometimes Ds in handwriting. The last time I got a grade in handwriting was in 6th grade and it was an E.
I've always thought that giving grades for handwriting was stupid. It's not that one can change their handwriting in little time.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 9:30 am

printing I had no problem with, cursive - no can do (beyond a barely legible signature)

BLK95TA
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2014, 10:36 am

Ive never heard of an E. But in the US we use the following grade scale

A
B
C
D
F

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 10:22 pm

Is there any link between ASD and left-handedness, just out of curiosity?

The person who diagnosed me remarked that there seemed to be a disproportionately high % of cack-handers amongst the ASD people she worked with. The idea seems bizarre to me.

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2014, 10:28 pm

Pobbles wrote:

The person who diagnosed me remarked that there seemed to be a disproportionately high % of cack-handers amongst the ASD people she worked with. The idea seems bizarre to me.

I've heard that before, but I've never actually seen any kind of study shows this. I know that myself and a couple of my Aspie friends are all left-handed.

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2014, 9:26 am

My handwriting is so bad that after a day's time, I have trouble making out what I wrote down. My original college career (1997-2002), I learned very quickly that if I didn't get back to my dorm the afternoon after classes were over to type out my notes, I would never be able to study them. And when I started some post-baccalaureate work (in order to gain per-requisites for medical school) a few years ago, I continued with the process. As a result, I became quite popular for students that may have missed class. And my physics professor even stopped lecture one time to show off my notes - commenting that he could use them for handouts in future classes.

But even attempting to jot down notes, my handwriting is horrendous. When I have to write thank you notes, I have to type out what I want to write and then very methodically write each word. Takes a while.

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2014, 9:27 am

Pobbles wrote:

I am left-handed as well.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 10:51 am

My hand writing is atrocious. No matter what I have tried. Not to mention that I dislocated my right elbow in the third grade and was unable to write for almost a year, that just made things worse. And after a minor stroke a few years back, my actual diction and proper use of grammar has been affected severely as well. I just do not seem to catch my language when it is placed awkwardly in conversation or when I write it anymore. Spell check is wonderful, but it does not help proper sentence constructing.

I think I have problems with language period. I can convey what I want to say, generally but it is not always constructed right.

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2014, 11:45 am

Here is an example of my handwriting...good luck...this came from my cell biology class last semester.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2014, 1:54 pm

I was about 10 when my handwriting became legible, but even now, it looks like a 4 year old's.
I have to use ergonomic pens to perfect my grip. I squeeze a pen when I hold it, but not as hard now.