Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2013, 1:56 pm

So, I don't mean to be rude by generalizing....but I know most of us have very specific food preferences? Or like, go through periods of time of eating certain foods cause that's all I can tolerate/have an appetite for. Currently my food rotation consists of; pumpkin seeds, fried egg on potato cake with ketchup and hot sauce, coffee, and bean burritos. How about you? Also, what foods can you NOT eat? For me it's onions. To me, it is absolute blasphemy to put onions in something like macaroni and cheese. Who wants to have acidic crunches going off every 3 chews?!

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Nov 2013, 2:10 pm

My food preferences are not that specific these days. It's more about a few foods I really can't eat. Meat that's more than slightly tough, I can't handle. Gristly, sinewy, or with great blotches of fat, non-starter. (Maybe very tender fat might work, though.)

As a kid, I was even pickier about meat, though to my mother's great confusion I was more than happy to eat most vegetables. My staple food by far was pasta, however. And overall I didn't have much of an appetite at all. These days I have a rather healthy appetite, at least relative to being a 183cm/65kg guy. (6 foot, 143 lbs, for you backward folks ;) ) Love bacon and tender meats such as found in stews.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 2:51 pm

I've always been open to trying any food of any type from any ethnic background etc.

At the moment I do tend to go through routines of eating certain things daily for a while and then getting bored with them and changing up to something else that I'll eat every day for a while and then change up again. But besides the things I'm avoiding eating due to following a medicinal diet, there aren't really any foods that weird me out that I can't eat or anything like that.

andrewlavigne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2013, 3:16 pm

I basically hate trying new things, but I don't have the food issues some do. That said, I do eat the same meal for breakfast and typically the same meal for dinner every day (only eating two meals a day).

Often autistic people have food issues, particularly with texture. I have a few of these but they seem really mild and are probably not even ASD-related. I can't stand the texture of tomato or cream-based pasta sauces/pizza sauces. And more than that, the texture of bananas makes me gag. I assume that the last one is just because bananas are horrible, but everybody seems to like them.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:25 pm

This month I'm in a beans and rice phase. I bought 50 cans of red beans, pink beans, chili beans, grillin' beans, etc. My diet will mainly be rice and beans for a month. It was supposed to be an exotic meats month but I didn't feel like driving to the Asian market for the exotic stuff.

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2013, 3:30 pm

andrewlavigne wrote:
I basically hate trying new things, but I don't have the food issues some do. That said, I do eat the same meal for breakfast and typically the same meal for dinner every day (only eating two meals a day).

Often autistic people have food issues, particularly with texture. I have a few of these but they seem really mild and are probably not even ASD-related. I can't stand the texture of tomato or cream-based pasta sauces/pizza sauces. And more than that, the texture of bananas makes me gag. I assume that the last one is just because bananas are horrible, but everybody seems to like them.

I go through phases with bananas. I will never eat anything that is flavored banana. Ew.

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2013, 3:32 pm

I also find that my food tastes are situated like this; routine foods that I prefer or extremely exotic foods that I have never eaten before. But if it has onions it's basically ruined no matter what it is. Also, if you bake tater tots in the oven they taste a bit like onions and that's no good for me.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:38 pm

I don't have any specific food I'm perseverating on at the moment. I can't eat pretty much any meat, iceberg lettuce (*crunch* *flap, flap, flap*), mayo, cheese alone or anything too cheesy, ...Well, it'd be easier to list the things that I can eat, but I'm not doing that. :P My family tells me that I like "plain" things. ("I can't believe you don't like it! You LOVE bland things!")

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:29 pm

I'm not too fussy with food, though I have a few food hang-ups. Fatty meats, chicken drumsticks, egg yolks, overripe bananas are few things that I generally avoid. Basically, anything that's mushy or runny or fatty and isn't supposed to be that way. Not sure if that's so much a sensory thing as it is a "this doesn't look right" thing.

On the other hand, I've been known to eat globs of condiments like relish, mayonnaise, butter, and parmesan cheese.

If left to my own devices, I will often largely subsist on cereal, milk, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, apples, and yogurt.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:34 pm

Huh. I'll pretty much eat anything. The only things I have considerable problems with are potatoes (unless they come in the form of crisps or chips) and a number of vegetables like cauliflower and endive.

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2013, 6:41 am

As I child I had problems with a lot of food textures like yoghurt, peanut butter and marmalade (anything that had "bits" in it).

I was also pretty mcuh vegetarian until my teens because I couldn't stand the sight/texture/smell of meat and fish. Since then I began to eat "processed" meat (which I know isn't the most healthy) but I still can't abide the texture of meat on the bone or anything greasy and I still don't touch fish.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 8:21 am

I actually don't enjoy eating. It's very tedious to me. Taste is a very "abstract" sensation to me which I don't really understand.

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2013, 3:47 pm

I used to eat raw onions by the handful (apparently, according to my mother). Now, I hate them. I hate onions.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 6:53 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Huh. I'll pretty much eat anything. The only things I have considerable problems with are potatoes (unless they come in the form of crisps or chips) and a number of vegetables like cauliflower and endive.

I cannot cram baked potatoes down my throat unless they're smothered with various toppings. Otherwise, it's like eating cotton balls.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Nov 2013, 7:13 pm

With the exclusion of spicy foods, I don't like food with intense flavor. I can also be very stressed if the only food available is highly processed.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 2:41 am

I generally like a lot of different food.
Two things I really dislike, however, are slimy foods (any kind, cooked onions, cooked peppers, cooked spinach, seaweed (by itself)), and just about everything made from pigs (yes, including bacon and pepperoni), with the exception of lard.

There are other things, textures and tastes I don't like that keeps me away from a lot of foods and makes others describe me as 'picky' merely because i don't always clean my plate if I'm not in charge of what goes on it.

Nothing wrong with being a picky eater, imho.
There's lots of food I do like, and it's usually not too hard to avoid the stuff I don't unless it's someone else who's feeding me which is a very rare occurance these days, though it used to happen a lot more often.

Anyways, all this talk of food is making me hungry.
I think I'll go make some pasta with salt & butter, always a good, cheap standby, and I don't feel like walking to the store right now so it's pretty much all I have.